Author Topic: vga component converter  (Read 962 times)

90snostalga

vga component converter
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:56:23 am »
This is a long shot but maybe someone else can help.  My gaming PC I use for old gaming, which has Windows 95-XP on it, I want to hook it up to my 30" standard tv which is the same tv I use for the older systems.  I bought a VGA to component converter from Monoprice since the tv has a component input.  But, for some reason I cannot get anything to show on the screen. I'm trying to avoid getting an an actual crt pc monitor for my old PC games because I want to save space in game room. Any suggestions?

aliensstudios

Re: vga component converter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
I assume the converter is YPbPr, correct? If not it's YCbCr. Make sure that matches the component input on your TV. If it doesn't, that's your issue. Did you start the Computer up and then plug the VGA/Component converter into it or did you shut it down, hook up the cables and then power it on? The latter option is what you should do if you haven't. Check your graphic cards specs by going to Run and typing: dxdiag. Under the display tag make sure your card is compatible, this probably shouldn't make much of a difference though since I assume your converter is an external box that has the technology inside of it, but I have seen straight cabling that some PCs can do natively. Depending on your graphics card, you may be able to install additional drivers to it, which may fix the issue as well. I'd try fiddling with the screen resolution and output settings to make them match your televisions in the Control Panel if I was you (although I suspect you've already tried this). Is there an SD option? Try that if it's available, since your video cards maximum resolution likely isn't HD. If none of this works return it get a refund and get a video card that can output Component video as well as VGA (If you're slightly competent with electronics you could install it yourself easily) or if you have an HD television that accepts VGA just use that.

Fortunately, I have an old XP Media Center PC which natively outputs S-Video/Component video which is very convenient for me since its what all of my old PC games run on.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dstone

PRO Supporter

Re: vga component converter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
Be sure to check your resolution and refresh rates. Most US TVs like a 60hz rate. You could also probably pick up a scan converter that will convert the VGA output to composite or component, although it would probably be more cost effective to look in to another graphics card with the outputs you are wanting.