Author Topic: Scariest video game?  (Read 1253 times)

Scariest video game?
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:38:00 pm »
Hi all. I am playing Nanashi no Game and it is CREEPY! The premise is kind of similar to 'The Ring' but instead of a cursed videotape it's a cursed video game. So have any of you played a game that genuinely scared you?

Re: Scariest video game?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:09:15 am »
As a medium, video games have never scared me that much, even as a kid. The only game that ever genuinely scared me and filled me with dread was the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube. God, I jumped several times and the thought of facing off against a crimson head was anxiety provoking.

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 02:06:43 am »
Hi all. I am playing Nanashi no Game and it is CREEPY! The premise is kind of similar to 'The Ring' but instead of a cursed videotape it's a cursed video game. So have any of you played a game that genuinely scared you?

The King's Field series scared me as a kid, and I remember vividly getting creeped out playing the demo of Shadow Tower on PlayStation Underground demo disc. As a teenager it was Silent Hill 2 for PS2- til this day one of the scariest games I've ever played.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:19:07 am »
Silent Hill 2 through 4 and like Fatal Frame have always been real spooky for me.  Good atmosphere that just wants to crush you over a bunch of jump scares is so much more satisfying, not that I'm really interested in spooky games most of the time.  I've never actually beaten those games as I always got too spooked playing them alone lol Actually looking forward to the new Fatal Frame for some creepy gaming.  Think I might buy it and save it for Halloween specifically.  Will be perfect.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 04:15:22 am »
Thw P.T. demo was scary ;p
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 05:24:37 am »
Thw P.T. demo was scary ;p

I only watched videos of it, but it was unsettling.  I could only imagine how terrifying the full game would've been lol

gf78

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:36:37 am »
I'm going to break it down a bit.

Scariest for "jump scare" factor
The first Resident Evil in all it's cheesy glory scared me numerous times.  Those damn Dobermans jumping through the windows behind you!   :o  I must have jumped out of my chair a dozen times playing this game!

Scariest for visceral "fight or flight" factor
The first Dead Space.  After fighting off mutated beasts coming at you from every angle, I found myself stomping corpses well past the point where they were already dead.  I would literally become locked into the terror.

Scariest for "psychological" aka F*ing with your mind factor
I have to give it to Silent Hill 2.  I still have nightmares of "Pyramid Head" ravaging some manequins.   :'(

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:19:05 am »
I'm going to break it down a bit.

Scariest for "jump scare" factor
The first Resident Evil in all it's cheesy glory scared me numerous times.  Those damn Dobermans jumping through the windows behind you!   :o  I must have jumped out of my chair a dozen times playing this game!

Scariest for visceral "fight or flight" factor
The first Dead Space.  After fighting off mutated beasts coming at you from every angle, I found myself stomping corpses well past the point where they were already dead.  I would literally become locked into the terror.

Scariest for "psychological" aka F*ing with your mind factor
I have to give it to Silent Hill 2.  I still have nightmares of "Pyramid Head" ravaging some manequins.   :'(

That's the best way to talk about this.

Jump scares: I get startled easily, so most games in the survival/horror genre fit the bill. Even in games like Demon's Souls or Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll that rely on you paying attention to everything have startled me.

Visceral scares: Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 4 and Silent Hill Homecomming come to mind.

Psychological scares: I started playing Rule of Rose and it's already freaking me the **** out. Other games are Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness. Eternal Darkness' sanity meter doesn't make things any easier in this regard. XD

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
I remember being scared to death watching my older brother play Eternal Darkness, though that's not saying much since I was probably 9 or 10 at the time.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."