Author Topic: Intellivision Data  (Read 1927 times)

psydswipe

Intellivision Data
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:22 am »
I spent a fair amount of time on Intellivision last year, even writing descriptions on why some entries were different in case they appeared to be duplicates to some. Now I noticed many are all gone. Maybe someone thought they were dupes but in some cases both versions are gone. For example, I see Triple Action from Mattel Electronics in my collection but I originally had the Sears one in my collection. Although I never titled them differently when adding them, I did fill in the publisher as Sears. I also added games with and without licenses. A game that has both entries gone is Chess and USCF Chess. I thought I entered them in October but maybe some were in early November and would have been part of that data loss? I did go in alphabetical order though so most likely I worked on Chess in October since I own that one rather than USCF. In any case, if it's part of the big loss then I guess everything is gone for good, but I really, really thought I had these in before the cutoff of where the data was lost :) I thought I only lost the items I added for more recent systems. Any chance something else could have happened?

matt

Re: Intellivision Data
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:49:20 am »
Hmm outside of our data loss there hasn't been any other issues.

The only other problem we've ran into was with mods approving invalid edits. We've only recently really stepped up to validate edits and make sure to not make major changes to items that users have in their collection. This would never remove an item from your collection but it could have changed the name/info of a few. That being said, there were only a few isolated cases of this and as far as I know they were taken care of. One way to tell is to look at the item history:

http://vgcollect.com/item/15383/history

(just noticed a bug on this screen, it should sort the items by date)

psydswipe

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
Alright, I suppose it was all part of that big loss then. Oh well.

matt

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:45:04 am »
:( I hate hearing that but I promise we learned our lesson. I'm staring at a huge folder full of nightly database backups and gently caressing them with my mouse pointer as we speak.