Author Topic: Indivisible - Indiegogo Endeavor  (Read 4394 times)

Re: Indivisible - Indiegogo Endeavor
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 12:26:59 am »
They say right in their Indiegogo page that they are already being funded by a publisher "if they reach their goal." There's a difference between a guy that wants to make a game with a couple of friends and an already established developer using crowdfunding. Established developers always use the same excuse that they don't want to sacrifice their creativity due to a publisher's demands. I think that statement is bs, the developer just wants more money up front instead of using their own funds like what people used to do before crowdfunding.

And before crowdfunding, it was tough for developers to get the money they needed for projects without the need for publishers, especially if they were to keep creative control.  It's still hard when the publisher will only give money for the project if they get a starting amount from crowd funding since the development of the game will cost multi-millions and will probably even involve some of the money they have.  Lab Zero isn't an established developer, they've made one game and it was fighting game that did okay. It didn't sell millions of copies, it's a game that sells in the thousands.  Enough to likely keep them afloat, perhaps expand out their team abit, upgrade things, and then look at moving forward with this being their new game.  Lab Zero are a group that have been very upfront about costs with their crowdfunding campaigns such as this and with the multiple Skullgirls ones.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:28:49 am by kamikazekeeg »

indenton

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:24 am »
This game looks really generic. It's time for indie developers to move on to 3D, people are tired of all these 2D indie games and the fact that this is struggling to get funded shows that.

Also this tweet from one of the people working on the game really annoyed me: https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/652741061350047744

Use the money you made from your previous game to fund it yourself.

What a shallow outlook on the quality of video games you have there, it isn't 1996 anymore.  If you want full-motion video and whatnot, stick with your Sega CD/32X.  I think it's more so the genre which just isn't appealing to as many people as, let's say a platformer like Yooka-Laylee, with other sub-genres like Mighty No. 9 & Bloodstained. 

I'm not sure exactly how funding works, sure Skullgirls may have made a fair bit of money, but how much of that money was pure profit that went to Lab Zero for a next project?
I realize it's not 1996 anymore that's why I'm tired of seeing all these boring, uninspired 2D indies popping up on crowdfunding sites.

There's plenty of indie games that have come out in recent years that look just like this game. Dust: An Elysian Tail is one example of a game that looks just like this.

This game looks really generic. It's time for indie developers to move on to 3D, people are tired of all these 2D indie games and the fact that this is struggling to get funded shows that.

Also this tweet from one of the people working on the game really annoyed me: https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/652741061350047744

That is such a completely wrong thing to say.  I think we've seen things that say the complete opposite.  Ori was a big hit with it's 2D design (not exactly indie, I know, but it feels like an indie experience), Bloodstained made 5.5 million dollars in its campaign for a 2D game, Undertale is as low tech as you can practically get visually and that's one of the most well received games of the year I believe.  Shovel Knight is a huge hit on practically every platform and that was one of my favorite games of last year, with the expansion being just as wonderful.

2D is just as valid of an art style as 3D and I'm someone that generally prefers to play 3D games more than I do 2D sidescrollers.

Also Lab Zero is not a big company, even as far as indie devs go.  Even if they made profit off of Skullgirls, it isn't like they suddenly have some big slush fund, especially when looking at a bigger project.  It's why kickstarter/indiegogo exist, because it's tough to get the money to pay for game development nowadays, especially as an indie.  They aren't all Scott Cawthon making Five Night at Freddy's lol

What about the hundreds of other crowdfunded indies that don't get any recognition because they turn out to be crap?

2D games were fine but these last few years indie devs have ran them into the ground because it's way cheaper to make a 2D game than a 3D game. How many games in the last few years have been inspired by Super Metroid? I'm not in the wrong to be sick of this trend.

They say right in their Indiegogo page that they are already being funded by a publisher "if they reach their goal." There's a difference between a guy that wants to make a game with a couple of friends and an already established developer using crowdfunding. Established developers always use the same excuse that they don't want to sacrifice their creativity due to a publisher's demands. I think that statement is bs, the developer just wants more money up front instead of using their own funds like what people used to do before crowdfunding.

Are you seriously suggesting that the mere dimensions that you move around within in a video game determines said quality?  The story, gameplay, controls, performance, visuals, music, character design... it all boils down to those 3D Graphics? 

Which do you prefer: Megaman X or Megaman X7

How about this: Final Fantasy III (6) or Final Fantasy X?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:39:13 am by indenton »

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:58 am »

And before crowdfunding, it was tough for developers to get the money they needed for projects without the need for publishers, especially if they were to keep creative control.  It's still hard when the publisher will only give money for the project if they get a starting amount from crowd funding since the development of the game will cost multi-millions and will probably even involve some of the money they have.  Lab Zero isn't an established developer, they've made one game and it was fighting game that did okay. It didn't sell millions of copies, it's a game that sells in the thousands.  Enough to likely keep them afloat, perhaps expand out their team abit, upgrade things, and then look at moving forward with this being their new game.  Lab Zero are a group that have been very upfront about costs with their crowdfunding campaigns such as this and with the multiple Skullgirls ones.
It did okay? That's really underselling it.

I don't see how they've been upfront, they basically were just hoping to get this again: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing#/

What a shallow outlook on the quality of video games you have there, it isn't 1996 anymore.  If you want full-motion video and whatnot, stick with your Sega CD/32X.  I think it's more so the genre which just isn't appealing to as many people as, let's say a platformer like Yooka-Laylee, with other sub-genres like Mighty No. 9 & Bloodstained. 

I'm not sure exactly how funding works, sure Skullgirls may have made a fair bit of money, but how much of that money was pure profit that went to Lab Zero for a next project?
I realize it's not 1996 anymore that's why I'm tired of seeing all these boring, uninspired 2D indies popping up on crowdfunding sites.

There's plenty of indie games that have come out in recent years that look just like this game. Dust: An Elysian Tail is one example of a game that looks just like this.

That is such a completely wrong thing to say.  I think we've seen things that say the complete opposite.  Ori was a big hit with it's 2D design (not exactly indie, I know, but it feels like an indie experience), Bloodstained made 5.5 million dollars in its campaign for a 2D game, Undertale is as low tech as you can practically get visually and that's one of the most well received games of the year I believe.  Shovel Knight is a huge hit on practically every platform and that was one of my favorite games of last year, with the expansion being just as wonderful.

2D is just as valid of an art style as 3D and I'm someone that generally prefers to play 3D games more than I do 2D sidescrollers.

Also Lab Zero is not a big company, even as far as indie devs go.  Even if they made profit off of Skullgirls, it isn't like they suddenly have some big slush fund, especially when looking at a bigger project.  It's why kickstarter/indiegogo exist, because it's tough to get the money to pay for game development nowadays, especially as an indie.  They aren't all Scott Cawthon making Five Night at Freddy's lol

What about the hundreds of other crowdfunded indies that don't get any recognition because they turn out to be crap?

2D games were fine but these last few years indie devs have ran them into the ground because it's way cheaper to make a 2D game than a 3D game. How many games in the last few years have been inspired by Super Metroid? I'm not in the wrong to be sick of this trend.

Are you seriously suggesting that the mere dimensions that you move around within in a video game determines said quality?  The story, gameplay, controls, performance, visuals, music, character design... it all boils down to those 3D Graphics? 

Which do you prefer: Megaman X or Megaman X7

How about this: Final Fantasy III (6) or Final Fantasy X?
Wow, I guess I must have hit a nerve. People have different opinions.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 12:47:16 am »

Opinions can be wrong when you make sweeping generalizing statements that have no backing behind it lol

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 12:48:43 am »

Opinions can be wrong when you make sweeping generalizing statements that have no backing behind it lol
I've explained my reasoning in multiple posts lol

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 01:12:35 am »

And we pointed out how it wasn't very good reasoning lol 2D games are still very much wanted, especially ones with good artwork and even if they don't have high quality artwork with the likes of Undertale. I'd never look at this game and Dust and go "Well these are the same". They both have their unique art style and setting, not too mention vastly different gameplay.

indenton

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 01:19:47 am »

You're damn right you hit a nerve, is this an opinion you've taken onboard with video games.  But these opinions & criticism are just unrelated. 

I don't like Call of Duty: Ghosts because it's not a platformer
I'm returning this fridge, it doesn't cook my food. 

You're holding an unrelated aspect against the games quality (you know, the thing that actually matters) Dust was hand drawn and 2D, what cruel fate.  Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World & Yoshi's Island were all 2D platformers from the same developer. 

People of VGCollect, the truth has been spoken.  Forget about these other Mario games, they apparently don't deserve the god damn time of day
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:21:36 am by indenton »

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 08:56:10 am »

And we pointed out how it wasn't very good reasoning lol 2D games are still very much wanted, especially ones with good artwork and even if they don't have high quality artwork with the likes of Undertale. I'd never look at this game and Dust and go "Well these are the same". They both have their unique art style and setting, not too mention vastly different gameplay.
Oh sorry my reasoning isn't good enough. They look the same to me. Just like everyone likes to say how all first person shooters are the same, it's okay when that happens though right?

You're damn right you hit a nerve, is this an opinion you've taken onboard with video games.  But these opinions & criticism are just unrelated. 

I don't like Call of Duty: Ghosts because it's not a platformer
I'm returning this fridge, it doesn't cook my food. 

You're holding an unrelated aspect against the games quality (you know, the thing that actually matters) Dust was hand drawn and 2D, what cruel fate.  Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World & Yoshi's Island were all 2D platformers from the same developer. 

People of VGCollect, the truth has been spoken.  Forget about these other Mario games, they apparently don't deserve the god damn time of day
I don't even understand your example. Is this game not a 2D indie game being crowdfunded by established developers?

Mario games are pretty bad now that you mention it. How many New Super Mario Bros are there now? Why are all the Wii U games 2D? Even their latest 3D Mario is more a 2D game despite having 3D in the title. 2D games are lazy. Guess it's bad to have a different opinion.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 09:31:00 am »
I think it would have been best to wait until After the Holidays to start this campaign. I just think there are a few too many games being released around this time of year that people would be putting towards those that at the latest they get around Christmas. I would back this if I had the extra funds but I just don't have the extra Funds with the Holiday's ahead. I don't think people should be afraid to back these guys since Crowdfunding is how they got Skullgirls back on PSN/XBLA/Steam after Konami pulled the plug on it. Also to address a previous yes Skullgirls did well but one great game is not enough to fund another. if you want proof look at Wayfoward, they put out a lot of licensed game in-between their own IPs and that licensed stuff isn't always that good, but they used those in order to make games like Shantae and Mighty Switch Force. Even so Wayfoward went to Kickstarter to Fund Half-Genie Hero. Basically my point is it takes more than one Successful game to make another let alone let it be a new IP.

I don't even understand your example. Is this game not a 2D indie game being crowdfunded by established developers?

Mario games are pretty bad now that you mention it. How many New Super Mario Bros are there now? Why are all the Wii U games 2D? Even their latest 3D Mario is more a 2D game despite having 3D in the title. 2D games are lazy. Guess it's bad to have a different opinion.

and if you want an example of How 3-D doesn't automatically mean a good game (that's the point I'm getting from you) Look at the Sonic Series, no one can argue that this series has struggled when it comes to 3-D however at the same time the 2-D instalments at the time are really good. namely the Advance and Rush series coming out around the same time as the adventure remakes, heroes, shadow the Hedghog, and 06. I mean Sonic Rush came out a year before Sonic 06 and rush is by far the way better choice.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »

and if you want an example of How 3-D doesn't automatically mean a good game (that's the point I'm getting from you) Look at the Sonic Series, no one can argue that this series has struggled when it comes to 3-D however at the same time the 2-D instalments at the time are really good. namely the Advance and Rush series coming out around the same time as the adventure remakes, heroes, shadow the Hedghog, and 06. I mean Sonic Rush came out a year before Sonic 06 and rush is by far the way better choice.
I'm not gonna make an excuse for the Sonic games. They perfected their 2D formula in the 90s and are still doing it two decades later. It's obvious they never got 3D right. They don't want to put enough money into backing a 3D game because they know the 2D games are cheaper to make and will still sell.

maximo310

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »

I'm not gonna make an excuse for the Sonic games. They perfected their 2D formula in the 90s and are still doing it two decades later. It's obvious they never got 3D right. They don't want to put enough money into backing a 3D game because they know the 2D games are cheaper to make and will still sell.
I'd have to disagree with that. I thought that certain 3D Sonic games like Colors, Generations, and Lost World had ideas that could be great if they were expanded upon. But that's the main problem with 3D Sonic games is that Sonic Team keeps trying to switch game systems/playstyles for every 3D sonic game instead of sticking with a concept and improving it, which it why there are a good number of lackluster games in the 12 years or so. This happens with some of their 2D mobile games as well, like Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic Runners, etc.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »
Trying out the Beta they released on PS4. so far it feels like to me a metroidvania style game with combat being closest to the Mario & Luigi games. going between the exploration and combat is seamless. you Explore as the Character Ajna and When you enter Combat your Party disperses from you. Each Character is assigned a face button on the controller and when you press the button when the attack gauge is filled that character attacks and when the enemy is attacking the Character button becomes your guard. It doesn't feel like the attack gauge takes too long to fill which is a common complaint I have about these kinds of RPG's I tend to not like the time it takes between attacks. you can use multiple attacks at a time or consecutively to push opponents back which can delay the time it takes for them to Attack. the Metroidvania gameplay come in the style that there are certain areas that can't be reached until you find a item that will allow you to progress. an example is when you find the Axe it lets you cut down Vines and when you jump to a wall press the button wall it will give you a little extra height if the wall jump is just out of reach. The music from What I've been hearing is pretty good. Graphics look a lot like the style you've seen in Skullgirls and they look amazing on the PS4, some of the items in the Background (namely the pots) look a tad bit unpolished but hey it's a demo for an unfinished game so I'm not going to gripe about that. so far I'm really enjoying it and will try to find some money to put towards this title. beta is on the PS4 and PC's under Indivisible Prototype and I suggest you check it out. these guys really aren't giving you an excuse to at least not try it out.

Holy S*** that was a lot more Writing than I normally do.

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »
I considered backing this one, but it's probably not my sort of game from what I've seen.  Hopefully it works out for the folks who want it! I never played Skullgirls, but I know the folks who've enjoyed it *really* enjoyed it.

Good luck, folks!  The figures and the plushie look really good, too!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »
I was ready to write off the game twice in its chances to make 1.5 mil, but right now, it's at 1.4, with 3 days left.  It might actually make it lol

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls#/

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:48 am »
$1,484,966 USD right now. That would be hilarious if they somehow miss out on the last little bit over the next three days.

One good thing that has come from this is bringing an early access version to PS4. That's pretty unusual and something I'd like to see with more interesting projects in the future. Maybe Yooka-Laylee but that's already funded. All the indie 3D platformers coming out next year they should try and publish demos so they stand out.