Author Topic: UPDATE - The long over-due update  (Read 11483 times)

matt

UPDATE - The long over-due update
« on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:01 pm »
Hello all,

It's been a looooong time without any sort of updates from me - and well that isn't a good thing. VGCollect has been my baby for years but over the past 12 months it's been ever more apparent that I no longer have the time to properly support the site the way it deserves. As most of you know I work a full time development job and recently (well it's been nearly 2 years now) started another side business that is growing month over month. That leaves me with little free time. I used to hit the forums daily, work on the site weekly and have a constant stream of updates. Nowadays I've almost avoided the site because I felt guilty for basically abandoning it. If it wasn't for our amazing group of staff members and our AMAZING community, the site would have surely faded away. You guys have made this site what it is today - something we all take great pride in.

That all being said, a few things are going to change here. Some of you may have noticed a new name in the forums lately. That name being Jason. Jason is a former coworker who was by my side a few years back during the early years of VGC. He is a very passionate collector and almost more importantly, a very passionate web developer. He will be taking over my role around here. He has had his hands on the VGC codebase and is already planning the first round of updates. More importantly, he is making progress on the mobile front.

I'm not going away, nor are any of our staff members. Most new users probably won't even notice since I've been inactive for months but I can assure you that this is for the best. I've been holding VGC down and it's time to humbly back off. I'm actually kinda excited to step back off and become a "normal" user again. Maybe I'll finally get my collection fully updated. :)

tl;dr Matt is stepping aside and Jason is taking and it's for the best.

Love,
Matt

hexen

Re: UPDATE - The long over-due update
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:51:58 pm »
Thanks for everything! VGcollect was the collection tracker I was looking for but didn't exist just a few years back. I am so grateful you created and made it what it is.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:58:02 pm »
Thanks for everything so far Matt, and good luck with your work and business,  looking forward to seeing what Jason has in store for us
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

matt

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:01:15 pm »
Thanks for everything! VGcollect was the collection tracker I was looking for but didn't exist just a few years back. I am so grateful you created and made it what it is.

My pleasure! That's exactly why I started it. I couldn't find a tracker I was happy with, so I made one. :)

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:06:08 pm »

Ditto! This was exactly what I wanted, and I'm happy to have been here while it grew larger and larger. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums soon, Matt, and looking forward to seeing what Jason has in store for us!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »
Thanks for the update, and thanks for all you've done for us. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 08:46:21 am »
Matt, thanks for this amazing collection site... If it wasn't for you I am sure I would be out there buying dupes of my collection. You deserve a back seat ... Hopefully in the future we can see more exciting things from Jason. Thanks again and come back and check on us from time to time.  :P

gf78

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:26:16 am »
A big thank you Matt.  I found the site late last year and it is phenomenal.  Prior to this, I kept track of my collection with a word document...LOL.

I look forward to seeing the upcoming changes and again, thanks for all your work.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

retroone

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 03:35:28 pm »
Thanks for everything Matt! VGCollect isn't only the best collection app but the best community I know of. If it wasn't for VGC, I'd probably have about 5 copies of Combat by now.  ;)

telly

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 07:08:48 pm »
Warmest thanks for everything you've done for this site and the community man. Hopefully you'll be able to stop by soon so we can hear about all the great things you'll be doing in the meantime  :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

mark1982

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 02:39:41 am »
Thanks for the great site Matt, it's a great help for me to keep track of my collection and I believe for a lot of other users as well.
  l    l 

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:21:46 am »
Thanks for all your hard work Matt! This site wouldn't be where it is today without all of the time and effort you put in.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 11:20:11 am »
Thanks for all your hard work, Matt. Considering I barely have time to read VGC lately, I can only imagine trying to fit in time to code it!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »
Thanks for everything Matt! VGCollect isn't only the best collection app but the best community I know of. If it wasn't for VGC, I'd probably have about 5 copies of Combat by now.  ;)

Yes thanks Matt!

Unfortunately I did not stumble across VGCollect until after I aquired my fifth copy of combat. :)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »

Yes thanks Matt!

Unfortunately I did not stumble across VGCollect until after I aquired my fifth copy of combat. :)

Only a true collector would understand how funny that comment is.... :)
Now the real question is did they all the same cartridge label?

Matt - amazing site. You should be proud of what you created! Also a big thanks to all who have stepped in to keep this site running!
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01