Author Topic: The SNES / Play Station hybrid: Apparently, it's the real deal!  (Read 2347 times)

gf78

The SNES / Play Station hybrid: Apparently, it's the real deal!
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:55:18 am »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/the-fabled-snes-playstation-prototype-has-been-turned-on-and-disassembled/

Apparently, the system that sat in a box for years in an attic and was considered a fake has been x-rayed, turned on and actually plays Super Famicom games!  This is an incredible find!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: The SNES / Play Station hybrid: Apparently, it's the real deal!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:46:52 am »
Would have been cool if there was a disc in the system
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:49:09 am by badATchaos »

gf78

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:55 am »
Would have been cool if there was a disc in the system

Yeah, that would be cool.  A lot of people online are wanting them to try and get a PS1 game to run in it.  But honestly, this thing was made in 1991, three full years before the PS1 was released to market (in Japan).  I'm sure the processors inside this system are not the same as what ended up in the PS1.

It's a very cool piece of history that everyone knew about, but there was no real physical proof of until recently. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »
I remember reading that the cd-rom drive wasn't working on the machine during the expo, so that would need to before fixed before they could test out any cd-based games.

gf78

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »
I remember reading that the cd-rom drive wasn't working on the machine during the expo, so that would need to before fixed before they could test out any cd-based games.

Unless it was a disc developed for this prototype specifically, it won't work.  The internals are not as powerful as what ended up in the original PlayStation.

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »

Unless it was a disc developed for this prototype specifically, it won't work.  The internals are not as powerful as what ended up in the original PlayStation.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It would be cool if someone did end up finding a prototype later on, even though that's probably extremely unlikely.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »
Why was this ever considered a fake? It's a pretty well-known thing in gaming history.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »
Very cool, this thing must be absolutely priceless.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

doafan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 02:30:11 pm »
Holly shit so it's true a partner here from the office told me this past Monday the new but didn't want to believe him, just wondering how many of these beauties were created and if the price that lucky bastard paid for it was only 75 bucks, damn can't wait to see if the had success with the repair of the CD drive and let the world know what the hell did we miss  :o

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

gf78

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »
Why was this ever considered a fake? It's a pretty well-known thing in gaming history.

Everyone knew about the deal between Nintendo and Sony.  But nobody had actually publicly seen a prototype unit.  Then when the story and Youtube video broke, everyone was skeptical that some kid found it in the attic at his dad's house who got the unit from a out-of-business bank where a former Sony employee just so happened to work too and then the dad bought it for $75 in an online auction.  Yeah...it seemed fishy and there have been pretty elaborate fakes out there before too for various items, etc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »
I see. Are there any discs out there for it? Even like some prototype disc to test capabilities?

gf78

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 02:42:57 pm »
I see. Are there any discs out there for it? Even like some prototype disc to test capabilities?

None that are known of.  The CD-drive has power to it...I wonder if it would read a music disc? 

You know these guys are going to end up selling this for a huge fortune.  Honestly, I could see some rich collector spending a cool million on this.  Heck, if I was filthy stinking rich...I'd offer them a million for it!   :o

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 02:45:44 pm »
For the people who have not been following this story over the past couple of months, this article pretty much covers all of the information:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

telly

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »
^^ Really a fascinating read, thanks for posting the link  :)
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

gf78

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 02:48:27 pm »
Holly shit so it's true a partner here from the office told me this past Monday the new but didn't want to believe him, just wondering how many of these beauties were created and if the price that lucky bastard paid for it was only 75 bucks, damn can't wait to see if the had success with the repair of the CD drive and let the world know what the hell did we miss  :o

Reportedly, only around 200 prototype units were ever made and this is the only one to have ever turned up in the wild.  What I wouldn't give to have this...or even just a non-functioning replica of this!