Author Topic: weird/strange collections  (Read 2601 times)

gf78

Re: weird/strange collections
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 10:49:53 am »
Gotta play devil's advocate here, sometimes news papers can be of value if they are old, or feature some historic headline.  ;D There's always someone's treasure buried in someone else's pile of trash.  :P

True.  Something like the New York Times issue featuring the assassination of President Kennedy is sought after by collectors.  I was more referring to your typical hoarder that has stacks of ratty papers just because they can't bring themselves to throw them out.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
Gotta play devil's advocate here, sometimes news papers can be of value if they are old, or feature some historic headline.  ;D There's always someone's treasure buried in someone else's pile of trash.  :P

True.  Something like the New York Times issue featuring the assassination of President Kennedy is sought after by collectors.  I was more referring to your typical hoarder that has stacks of ratty papers just because they can't bring themselves to throw them out.

sure that's one thing but would you feel the same way if they had newspapers that were tore up, had coffee stains all over the place, smelled like mildew, were heavily water damaged, or a combination even if it were a paper that was highly sought after like the event you mentioned? that is what I meant  when I said "crumpled up newspapers"
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »

sure that's one thing but would you feel the same way if they had newspapers that were tore up, had coffee stains all over the place, smelled like mildew, were heavily water damaged, or a combination even if it were a paper that was highly sought after like the event you mentioned? that is what I meant  when I said "crumpled up newspapers"

From a (former) comic collector's point of view, even mildewed, water damaged or coffee stained comics can carry a value.  For example, an issue of Silver Surfer Volume #3 issue #50 with art by Ron Lim that is mildewed or water damaged would be fodder for the landfill.  An issue of Action Comics #1 (first appearance of Superman) or Detective Comics #27 (first appearance of Batman) in this condition could still fetch thousands of dollars. 

Your typical hoarder does not (in my mind) only save special issues.  Their piles of "crumpled up newspapers" is usually just every edition of a newspaper in a row or many random ones that they just keep stacking up because they have something in their head telling them it is important to keep it.  While it is entirely possible that those stacks of mildewed, coffee stained, water damaged papers may indeed include something of value, said hoarder probably has no inkling of this fact.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 08:41:26 am »

From a (former) comic collector's point of view, even mildewed, water damaged or coffee stained comics can carry a value.  For example, an issue of Silver Surfer Volume #3 issue #50 with art by Ron Lim that is mildewed or water damaged would be fodder for the landfill.  An issue of Action Comics #1 (first appearance of Superman) or Detective Comics #27 (first appearance of Batman) in this condition could still fetch thousands of dollars. 

Your typical hoarder does not (in my mind) only save special issues.  Their piles of "crumpled up newspapers" is usually just every edition of a newspaper in a row or many random ones that they just keep stacking up because they have something in their head telling them it is important to keep it.  While it is entirely possible that those stacks of mildewed, coffee stained, water damaged papers may indeed include something of value, said hoarder probably has no inkling of this fact.

Paper is more expensive then oil these days, so money in the pocket  ;D