Author Topic: Here's something new ....  (Read 1971 times)

soera

Re: Here's something new ....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »
I like how Xbox makes it this big to do and Sony is just like "Yup, you got access to the PS2 library soon, suck it Microsoft".

abe

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:36 pm »
They haven't confirmed anything about actually using PS2 discs. It's probably just the "PS2 classics" stuff on the PSN being brought to the PS4.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:32 pm »
Other reports are saying it's getting a "PS2 emulator". If you get that, and it's not just packaged in with the individual game downloads, then that might point to full backwards-compatibility.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:48:43 am »
Yeah the article specifically points towards them doing PS2 emulation...

"We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation ... We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

That seems like backwards compatibility to me and would make sense with Microsoft pushing backwards compatibility also.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 02:53:51 am »
It is so unlikely to be true backwords compatibility...this probably just means easier PSN ports, there's no money to be made in letting us play our own games without us buying them a second time.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 03:59:14 am »
It is so unlikely to be true backwords compatibility...this probably just means easier PSN ports, there's no money to be made in letting us play our own games without us buying them a second time.

Possibility, but the same could be said for Microsoft.  Why have backwards compatibility and not just re-release everything digitally?

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:31:37 am »
I really hope it supports discs because a family member dropped a hint that they may be getting me a PS4 for Christmas and it'd be awesome to play my PS2 games in HD.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »

Possibility, but the same could be said for Microsoft.  Why have backwards compatibility and not just re-release everything digitally?
The only difference is that Sony did spend quite a bit of money to acquire that Geikai service in order to bring forth Playstation Now. I suspect that Sony will be adding PS2 games via emulation through that service. However, I hope that isn't the case and that they will make the backwards compatability free in order to compete w/ Microsoft.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »
I already plan on getting a PS4, but if they do this Sony will gain huge respect imo, as long as I can use disks of course.

karyann

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 07:50:24 pm »
I really hope it supports discs because a family member dropped a hint that they may be getting me a PS4 for Christmas and it'd be awesome to play my PS2 games in HD.

Even if it supported PS2 discs, they wouldn't be HD. They would most likely look exactly the same as they do on a PS2, but be playable on a PS4.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »
chances are it would scan the disc and unlock a digital version of the game, which you can play as long as the disc is present.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
But I play my PS2 games on my PS2  ;D