Author Topic: Games that Everyone Loves Except You  (Read 3732 times)

retrogemcollector

Re: Games that Everyone Loves Except You
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 02:21:43 am »
Nier
Zelda
Mario

hexen

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 06:22:14 am »
There actually aren't that many games that fit the category for me. There are a lot of games that I like, but think are vastly overrated, though. Actually, that made me remember one from recently I've wanted to rant about...

After I saw it receive awards, I played through Life is Strange. It is not a bad game, per se, but it is incredibly mediocre and the praise it gets are for the downright atrocious parts of it. Let me just get out of the way it's worst part - it's writing. The game's writing is downright pants-on-head ridiculous. For a game that is meant to be story & character driven, hardly any characters are believable, and even less than that are like able in any semblance. The character that you are supposed to like and make choices around, Chloe, has absolutely zero redeeming qualities and talks like marketing execs fed the google results of 'meme' and 'edgy teen' into a robot. She is supposed to be the main characters best friend, but she is nothing but a bitch to her at the time they should be bonding, but then they are BFFs later in the game despite it being based on nothing. This is just an example of how lazy and bad the writing is. The game is nothing but a rip-off of Telltale Games, who in my experience have actually written cohesive plots and characters I grew attached to.

SO yeah, that's the only one I can think of that fits exactly. Now I'll just list a few games I like, but get much more praise than they deserve:

Portal 2
Super Metroid
Undertale
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 07:53:19 am »
For me one(or technically multiple) would be anything made by Naughty Dog since last console gen. They were great in the old days(ps1/2) but everything after those days just feels like more of a nice tech demo than a fun game.

Some others like CoD, HL, etc have already been covered so i'll skip those.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 08:48:26 am »
There actually aren't that many games that fit the category for me. There are a lot of games that I like, but think are vastly overrated, though. Actually, that made me remember one from recently I've wanted to rant about...

After I saw it receive awards, I played through Life is Strange. It is not a bad game, per se, but it is incredibly mediocre and the praise it gets are for the downright atrocious parts of it. Let me just get out of the way it's worst part - it's writing. The game's writing is downright pants-on-head ridiculous. For a game that is meant to be story & character driven, hardly any characters are believable, and even less than that are like able in any semblance. The character that you are supposed to like and make choices around, Chloe, has absolutely zero redeeming qualities and talks like marketing execs fed the google results of 'meme' and 'edgy teen' into a robot. She is supposed to be the main characters best friend, but she is nothing but a bitch to her at the time they should be bonding, but then they are BFFs later in the game despite it being based on nothing. This is just an example of how lazy and bad the writing is. The game is nothing but a rip-off of Telltale Games, who in my experience have actually written cohesive plots and characters I grew attached to.

SO yeah, that's the only one I can think of that fits exactly. Now I'll just list a few games I like, but get much more praise than they deserve:

Portal 2
Super Metroid
Undertale
I didn't read your whole thing, as I have yet to play Life is Strange yet, and don't want too much info... but this entirely reminds me of Saved by the Bell.  Watching that show as a kid or a teen, you absolutely love Kelly, but then as an adult, you realize how stupid and superficial she is.

I think Gone Home fits in that same category.  I like stupid teen stories with all their angst and shit, I used to watch Degrassi like crazy, so I really liked Gone Home.  My wife played Gone Home, and she was like... uh, this is kind of stupid, I knew that was going to happen.

kashell

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 10:12:29 am »
I'll bite. I'm bored at work and I just got here.

Final Fantasy X: I just...despise this game. Sure, the game is pretty and has a few good selections of music. But the story, the writing, the characters, the amount of CRAP you have to do and the Sphere Grid make this game my least favorite FF with a number attached to it. There's also the fact that people seem to worship everything about this game; blind fan-boyism is rampant with this title.

Xenoblade: Other than a few friends, the mentioning of this game gets people excited. I'm glad that the Wii got another RPG, but this was one that could not hold my interest. I fell asleep playing it. I'm not saying that to be sensational; I actually fell asleep w/ the Wii controller in my hand. My roommate woke me up and the game was still on.

Honorable mentions go to CoD, Modern Warfare, Halo, Doom, etc.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:28 am »
For me one(or technically multiple) would be anything made by Naughty Dog since last console gen. They were great in the old days(ps1/2) but everything after those days just feels like more of a nice tech demo than a fun game.

Some others like CoD, HL, etc have already been covered so i'll skip those.

Welcome to the forum!

@kashell  Blitzball made me want to take a hammer to my hands until they felt like meatbags full of glass so I could never play another game again. I don't think that is normal, but that is how much I hated Blitzball. Would have rather just had another awesome FF card game included.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:02:04 am by DreamsDied13101 »
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

aliensstudios

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 11:42:45 am »

Final Fantasy X: I just...despise this game. Sure, the game is pretty and has a few good selections of music. But the story, the writing, the characters, the amount of CRAP you have to do and the Sphere Grid make this game my least favorite FF with a number attached to it. There's also the fact that people seem to worship everything about this game; blind fan-boyism is rampant with this title.

Xenoblade: Other than a few friends, the mentioning of this game gets people excited. I'm glad that the Wii got another RPG, but this was one that could not hold my interest. I fell asleep playing it. I'm not saying that to be sensational; I actually fell asleep w/ the Wii controller in my hand. My roommate woke me up and the game was still on.

I thought Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was excellent, but it's sequel; Xenoblade Chronicles X is so overwhelming to me that I don't see myself ever beating it, which is a shame because I dropped 90 frigging bucks on the Special Edition version.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 01:08:09 pm »

Final Fantasy X was actually the game that made me stop playing Final Fantasy games until about two years ago.  I despise that game. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:18 pm »

I thought Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was excellent, but it's sequel; Xenoblade Chronicles X is so overwhelming to me that I don't see myself ever beating it, which is a shame because I dropped 90 frigging bucks on the Special Edition version.

I'm with you guys on Xenoblade Chronicles X. I had to track the game down because it was selling out at GameStop at first, and I paid full price for it. I expected it to be the first grand RPG I played on Wii U. And then I HATED the combat-system.

kashell

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »

Final Fantasy X was actually the game that made me stop playing Final Fantasy games until about two years ago.  I despise that game.

The funny thing is, I really enjoy FFX-2.

hexen

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 08:11:38 am »

Portal 2
Super Metroid
Undertale
I didn't read your whole thing, as I have yet to play Life is Strange yet, and don't want too much info... but this entirely reminds me of Saved by the Bell.  Watching that show as a kid or a teen, you absolutely love Kelly, but then as an adult, you realize how stupid and superficial she is.

I think Gone Home fits in that same category.  I like stupid teen stories with all their angst and shit, I used to watch Degrassi like crazy, so I really liked Gone Home.  My wife played Gone Home, and she was like... uh, this is kind of stupid, I knew that was going to happen.

Despite my disdain for the game, I didn't spoil anything in my rant, I wouldn't want to ruin the enjoyment of those who may enjoy it.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

deftommo

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »
I don't think Nier is loved by all, but I had heard a lot of good things about it. I liked it at first, but ended up hating it about 15 hours in.

Fallout is another I just have a lot of trouble getting into. I love Elder Scrolls, but Fallout doesn't do it for me.

rayne315

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 06:28:32 pm »
Nier
Zelda
Mario

Wait people like Nier? I played through that game and it was the most boring game I think I have played in a long time. small ass maps that require you to constantly run through because of backtracking, and for an RPG? I cant remember exactly but I think I beat the entire game in about 5 hours or less.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:26 pm »
I could probably list quite a few, so instead I'll just generalise as any game that has a heavy emphasis on story. Especially modern story-driven action games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider reboot etc.

aliensstudios

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 01:44:17 pm »

I'm with you guys on Xenoblade Chronicles X. I had to track the game down because it was selling out at GameStop at first, and I paid full price for it. I expected it to be the first grand RPG I played on Wii U. And then I HATED the combat-system.
Did you get the special edition? I can't even get the soundtrack off the USB because I use a Mac and it's an .exe file, which added to my disappointment in the game haha.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."