Author Topic: UPDATE - Categorization rework (Atari, Nintendo digital, Xbox digital)  (Read 5674 times)

karyann

Hello all!

We're happy to share that there was some big rework in some categories. First of all, Atari systems were getting a bit jammed, so they now each have their own main category in the "browse" page. A few missing system and accessory categories were added as well.

Also, digital game categorization was quite a mess and it was requested many times to make it more clean. In the "browse" page, Nintendo and Xbox digital games have now been bundled respectively under Nintendo Network and Xbox Live. All three current console digital services are now consistent and, hopefully, easier to understand. As for sub-categories, we talked about different options and settled on the following:
The naming scheme used is the actual, official platform name (like "Wii Shop") rather than the "game type" name (like "WiiWare" or "Virtual Console" in some previous cases).  This means that a few categories have been merged under a new platform name. For example, "Xbox Indie Games" and "Xbox Arcade" are now combined under the "Xbox Games Store" platform, since this is their actual platform. This removes a lot of ambiguity between some previously existing categories.

If you have any comments or inquiries, please post them here!

Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:22:19 pm by karyann »

Re: UPDATE - Categorization rework (Atari, Nintendo digital, Xbox digital)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:46 am »
I can dig it.

I would've liked to see Games on Demand, Arcade, Indies, etc. separated; but this is still better than everything being under Xbox 360 Games [NA].  Same applies to Wii with virtual console and the likes.  Like how PSN is separated into PS minis, PS1 classics, PS2 classics, PS3 titles.  I don't think Playstation differentiates PS3 digital version of retail game and digital only PS3 titles, other than maybe referring to them as PSN titles.

Now to make the time to "inventory" my digital titles.  I still don't know how I feel about marking PS+ and GWG titles, technically I don't own them, if I cancel my subscription, I lose those titles.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:52:44 am by ctracy87 »

telly

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:19 am »
Yayyyyyy! :) Thank you so much for implementing these changes. I appreciate it!
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:21 am »
That's a great update! That's why I love this site; you're willing to take feedback and make changes as necessary.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
Great that you have started to update the categories! Does this also mean that we will soon be getting all the new categories that have been requested over the last year?

karyann

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »
I can dig it.

I would've liked to see Games on Demand, Arcade, Indies, etc. separated; but this is still better than everything being under Xbox 360 Games [NA].  Same applies to Wii with virtual console and the likes.  Like how PSN is separated into PS minis, PS1 classics, PS2 classics, PS3 titles.  I don't think Playstation differentiates PS3 digital version of retail game and digital only PS3 titles, other than maybe referring to them as PSN titles.

Playstation still needs to be reworked to merge PS Minis and classics into simply "Playstation Network", but before making the changes there too I wanted to make sure that the general change is well received. We'll probably proceed with those changes in the next update.

Great that you have started to update the categories! Does this also mean that we will soon be getting all the new categories that have been requested over the last year?

I added all the ones I could find, did I miss some? If so, please tell me and I'll add them with the next change we'll make. Sorry if I did miss any, they are kinda scattered in different threads ^^;

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
I can dig it.

Playstation still needs to be reworked to merge PS Minis and classics into simply "Playstation Network", but before making the changes there too I wanted to make sure that the general change is well received. We'll probably proceed with those changes in the next update.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

EDIT:  Actually, how would that work?  Since PS1 classics are generally playable on PSP/PSV/PS3, are there going to be triplicates or only under PSN (PS3) or something?  As it is some PS3/PS4 games don't have cross buy, and when PS2 games release for PS4, it's not the same as PS2 Classics, but it's still a PS2 Classic... PS2 Remaster?  idk.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:45:16 pm by ctracy87 »

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »

I added all the ones I could find, did I miss some? If so, please tell me and I'll add them with the next change we'll make. Sorry if I did miss any, they are kinda scattered in different threads ^^;

what about changing out the interactive figures to have sub-categories of Amiibo, Skylanders, and Disney infinity? is that on the list of things to do?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:30 pm »
Thank you for the update Karyann!  I've already been busy submitting item updates for PSN and Xbox Live games...especially with over 60 Xbox Live games listed under Xbox One games.  LOL. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 01:44:07 pm »

what about changing out the interactive figures to have sub-categories of Amiibo, Skylanders, and Disney infinity? is that on the list of things to do?

^^^Great idea!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

silversyx

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:13 pm »
Love the changes to Atari! Thank you.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 02:12:39 am »

Could you please add the following categories?

Amiga
    Amiga Accessory
    Commodore CDTV [EU]
    Commodore CDTV [NA]

Atari ST
    Atari ST Accessory
    Atari ST Hardware

Commodore 64
    Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [EU]
    Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [NA]
    Commodore 64 Accessory

Thanks in advance! :)

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:11:04 am »
Good job! Thanks!

gamingpenguin

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:44 am »
That's awesome news :D. Thanks for your hard work, especially on the Xbox, that is definitely better :)

karyann

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 04:38:18 pm »
Amiga
    Amiga Accessory
    Commodore CDTV [EU]
    Commodore CDTV [NA]

Atari ST
    Atari ST Accessory
    Atari ST Hardware

Commodore 64
    Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [EU]
    Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [NA]
    Commodore 64 Accessory

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm adding it to my to-do list! Just to make sure since I don't know this system,  Commodore CDTV really goes under the parent "Amiga" ?

This will have to be discussed further first, since this was discussed before settling on the current format. I know a few users have asked for this however, and the quantity of these figures has grown considerably since the format was decided, so I think it's worth checking it out again.