Author Topic: Top Five Must Have PS4 Games, What's Yours?  (Read 8705 times)

Re: Top Five Must Have PS4 Games, What's Yours?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:37:37 am »
Knack - A perfect launch exclusive to show the fun options and graphics the PS4 has to offer.

Forgive my soapbox for a moment, but I have to agree that Knack was a very, very fun platformer that showed off the Pixar-esque graphics the PS4 is capable of.  I had a blast playing this game and find it atrocious how reviewers tore it apart while giving something like Mario (insert whatever title follow-up here) 4001 a free pass.
The negative reviews were because it was a launch title, same with Killzone. Reviewers expect way too much from launch lineups.

argyle

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:23 am »
Knack - A perfect launch exclusive to show the fun options and graphics the PS4 has to offer.

Forgive my soapbox for a moment, but I have to agree that Knack was a very, very fun platformer that showed off the Pixar-esque graphics the PS4 is capable of.  I had a blast playing this game and find it atrocious how reviewers tore it apart while giving something like Mario (insert whatever title follow-up here) 4001 a free pass.
The negative reviews were because it was a launch title, same with Killzone. Reviewers expect way too much from launch lineups.

Reviewers expect launch titles to justify the purchase of a new system by themselves, which is silly. The way I always look at buying a system at launch is "are there enough games I'll want to play coming for it before it's likely to see a significant price drop?" If so, there's no point in waiting IMO. And there definitely were enough for the PS4.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 10:50:58 am »

Reviewers expect launch titles to justify the purchase of a new system by themselves, which is silly. The way I always look at buying a system at launch is "are there enough games I'll want to play coming for it before it's likely to see a significant price drop?" If so, there's no point in waiting IMO. And there definitely were enough for the PS4.

Typically, I follow your same train of thought about how many good games will be out before a price drop.  I pretty much buy PlayStation consoles at or close to launch regardless.  They always end up with a ton of great games, many exclusives published by Sony themselves. 

The situation with Knack always bugged me.  It was never pitched as a genre-changing game.  It was a fun, challenging platformer with gorgeous Pixar-like graphics, fun characters and an interesting mechanic where you collected relics and grew in size.  When you reached maximum size, you could just wreck everyone and everything.  The only criticism I can personally level against the game was the fixed camera, just because we've become accustomed to being able to manipulate the camera in most 3D games now. 

Killzone Shadow Fall is another launch title that caught a lot of flak and I thought was great.  I've replayed that game several times and loved it each time.  Was it perfect?  No.  But being a launch title made in a relatively short timespan, Guerilla Games did a bang-up job on it. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

argyle

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 10:35:54 am »
Based on what I've played so far:

Bloodborne
Fallout 4
Diablo III
Warframe
The Witcher 3

Lots of other really good ones tho, and several "big" titles I haven't gotten to yet.

Gotta make a change to my list. Remove Witcher 3 (it's Sofie's Choice up in here) to make room for Until Dawn because...wow. Someone finally followed through on the promises that Quantum Dreams keeps making with its games. If you overlooked this due to the Fall crunch, I highly recommend it. Incredible game.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

kashell

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 04:46:36 pm »
Funny how this game keeps coming up. I'm about to finish Until Dawn for my third time to get a couple of trophies. Did Quantic Dream have a part in it? I thought it was Supermassive that did the development.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 05:10:07 pm »
Gotta make a change to my list. Remove Witcher 3 (it's Sofie's Choice up in here) to make room for Until Dawn because...wow. Someone finally followed through on the promises that Quantum Dreams keeps making with its games. If you overlooked this due to the Fall crunch, I highly recommend it. Incredible game.

Yeah, I was really surprised by this game.  I've never played any of the Quantum Dream games, but I keep hearing that this game does those systems a lot better.  Even if it's a rather standard story by other medium's standards, it's so refreshing with the interactive fiction elements.  They're by far the best part of the game.  That game was definitely one of my favorites of the year and I hope to see other games continue to build on its tech.

Funny how this game keeps coming up. I'm about to finish Until Dawn for my third time to get a couple of trophies. Did Quantic Dream have a part in it? I thought it was Supermassive that did the development.

QD had no involvement.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

argyle

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »

No, it's just easily comparable to the QD games because they're in the same style - but Until Dawn runs circles around them IMO. The acting, music, setting and the way the choices are integrated really pushes this game over the top to make it something special. If I had played it last year it would have easily made my top 5.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 09:16:56 am »

No, it's just easily comparable to the QD games because they're in the same style - but Until Dawn runs circles around them IMO. The acting, music, setting and the way the choices are integrated really pushes this game over the top to make it something special. If I had played it last year it would have easily made my top 5.

Not only that, but it doesn't freeze as often as Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls. Also, being in charge Brett Dalton *swoon* and Hayden Panettiere is really fun. It's great seeing such great actors and actresses go from television and movies to video games.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:47 am »
I don't know if I've played 5 PS4 games

1) Transformers: Devastation - It's a OG Transformers Beat 'em Up.  Go buy it.  Don't argue.  Just buy it.

2) Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - They dropped the ball and didn't include the first game in the "Collection"  It's still fun and if you haven't played Borderlands or haven't played it in a few years, it's a blast to go back to.
3) Star Wars: Battlefront - Damn you EA for not including single player.  I'm sure this would be great if I had good internet.
4) Putty Squad - It's a silly little puzzle/platformer.  Just give it a shot.  It's down around $20 these days.
5) LittleBigPlanet 3 - I've only played 5 PS4 games.  I had to add something to the list.  It's fun if you like LittleBigPlanet.

retroone

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »
1. Rocket League
2. Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
3. Fallout 4
4. Shovel Knight
5. TRANSFORMERS: Devastation

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
Ignoring remakes/ports...

1. Rocket League
2. Bloodborne
3. Axiom Verge
4. Until Dawn
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

retroone

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 11:51:24 pm »
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris

I didn't even know that a Puyo game came out on the PS4. Defiantly going to be something that I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for.

maximo310

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:41 am »
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris

I didn't even know that a Puyo game came out on the PS4. Defiantly going to be something that I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for.
It's available in physical form on all 8th gen systems in Japan, including Vita, 3DS, and PS3 as well. Pretty much the best tetris game in recent history besides Tetris DS.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »
Is there anything particularly great for split-screen? I'm a part of a local game group and we try to do game meetups every month or so and it would be fun to bring my PS4 to one with some games, though not sure what is worth it.

retroone

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:32 pm »
Is there anything particularly great for split-screen? I'm a part of a local game group and we try to do game meetups every month or so and it would be fun to bring my PS4 to one with some games, though not sure what is worth it.
Rocket League has split screen but it is digital only