Author Topic: Games with odd content ratings  (Read 2229 times)

telly

Games with odd content ratings
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:08:48 pm »
So we all know how modern games have content ratings (E, T, M, for ESRB, etc.), but I was thinking about some of the weird/wrong ratings that have been put out on games over the years. Some of them might have been too lax or too harsh. Are there any games that you think got the wrong rating on release?

One for me in particular was Ace Combat 04: Always made me wonder how it could get an E rating when you shot people out of the skies in jet aircraft. All the other Ace Combat games afterward got a T rating, so I think they got it right after that. Also how Earthbound was K-A on release, but was changed to T when it was re released for the WiiU. That was an interesting change.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:36:01 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Re: Games with the odd content ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
Syphon Filter 1 is rated T, while 2 and 3 are rated M and have very few differences regarding content. I also found it rather interesting that Syndicate was rated K-A when you can shoot people and they collapse into a pool of blood.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:53:55 pm by scarface88fg »

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:11 am »
StarCraft was rated M originally but later changed to T. The game is full of gore. People explode leaving pools of blood behind. It might have been changed because the deaths and gore are not very "visceral."

One article I was reading about was comparing the M ratings of Halo 3 and Saints Row IV. There's a lot of killing in Halo but it's not in like Saints Row where you're mowing down civilians. Saints Row also has very strong sexual themes, harsh language, drugs, and references to soliciting. What does that say about Halo 3? Can anyone really say that the Halo games are at the same level as Saints Row or visa-versa. In other words, if Halo is M shouldn’t Saints Row be AO, or: if Saints Row is M shouldn’t Halo be T?

I don’t see why AO is such a death sentience. Why do most retailers outright ban them? Most retailers ask for ID to purchase M rated games already. Why don’t they just do the same for AO rated games? I don’t see the moral issue of selling these games if there's an age requirement.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Killing Floor 2 is going to be rated. Tripwire Interactive boast having the most advance gore system ever, and after playing it for many hours I definitely believe them. It’s easily the most graphically violent and gruesome game I have ever played. I personally think the game should be rated AO for the gratuitous gore, but we’ll see what happens when the game is fully released and rated. More than likely it'll receive a M rating. lol
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:46:21 am by badATchaos »

kashell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:55:43 am »
Mega Man X4 is rated E (maybe E10) and there are a couple of animate scenes with blood. While it could be argued that it was oil, it was dark red so it looks like blood when you first watch it. Also, there are a few moments of characters saying "damn" which is considered a naughty word by some.

Oddly enough, the rest of the MMX games have none of those sorts of things and they got the same rating.

I don’t see why AO is such a death sentience. Why do most retailers outright ban them? Most retailers ask for ID to purchase M rated games already. Why don’t they just do the same for AO rated games? I don’t see the moral issue of selling these games if there's an age requirement.

My guess is that, like everything else, people get offended way too easily and enjoy rallying to a needless cause. Instead of the retailers being at fault, I blame some random game purchaser that would get a bee in his/her bonnet over seeing an AO rating at a store.

telly

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:34:03 am »
Mega Man X4 is rated E (maybe E10) and there are a couple of animate scenes with blood. While it could be argued that it was oil, it was dark red so it looks like blood when you first watch it. Also, there are a few moments of characters saying "damn" which is considered a naughty word by some.

That was another one that I was wondering about too. I think all the X games are rated E, right? The ZX games are E10+ if I remember correctly.
Currently Playing:

gf78

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:40:20 am »
Not to sidetrack the conversation, but that is the typical hypocrisy in the states at least.  For some reason, video games have a stigma about them being rated Mature.  Protect the kids from violence in games....but then have them sit around and watch soldiers get their limbs blown off, explode into a shower of gore or lay on the ground with their intestines hanging out crying for mama.  And don't forget, boobies are a no-no.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »
Yep, I definitely agree with that statement X(
Of course my uncles still think that kids are going to go out killing people in real life because kids think they'll just "respawn" like in the game. puhlease
Currently Playing:

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:03 pm »
Yep, I definitely agree with that statement X(
Of course my uncles still think that kids are going to go out killing people in real life because kids think they'll just "respawn" like in the game. puhlease
Pshhhhh.  That's why you teach those kids about permadeath runs.  You die, I break your game in half. :p

telly

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »
Sounds like a good strat!  ;D

EDIT: Anyway, I thought of another one: I personally never understood why Melee and Brawl were T rating.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:49:26 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

gf78

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 01:14:08 pm »
Sounds like a good strat!  ;D

EDIT: Anyway, I thought of another one: I personally never understood why Melee and Brawl were T rating.

Yeah...that makes no sense. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »
I'd have to say The Legend of Kay. It's rated E-10+ but the content is much harsher than the rating implies. The characters routinely use the term "bastard," "damn," "ass", and "idiot" and Kay's master gets drunk all the time and the game doesn't even cleverly disguise this, it's out in the open.

Also, why is Earthbound rated T now? I think the game is dark but the content doesn't merit a T rating. E-10+ would have been better.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

telly

Re: Games with odd content ratings
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 01:39:58 pm »
Apparently it's rated T for

Fantasy Violence
Mild Blood
Suggestive Themes
Crude Humor

from http://earthbound.nintendo.com/

It's a weird rating, I don't remember seeing any blood or suggestive themes  :o
Currently Playing:

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
Apparently it's rated T for

Fantasy Violence
Mild Blood
Suggestive Themes
Crude Humor

from http://earthbound.nintendo.com/

It's a weird rating, I don't remember seeing any blood or suggestive themes  :o
I think one enemy had blood on its mouth and claws, the mole enemy maybe. I still go by the K-A rating myself.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »
Since we are talking about ESRB ratings and not say...PEGI ratings, this country is so flippin' messed up that if Looney Tunes were a new show today, it would be on Adult Swim or labeled for Teens and up. 

You know, because I totally remember kids when I was growing up strapping ACME rockets to our back and dropping anvils on our heads like Wiley Coyote.  Or totally thinking that it was real.   ::)

At least they finally struck down the "No Child Left Behind" act.  All it did was make it so every kid would pass.  The problem?  They dumbed down the curriculum so that everyone could pass.  Because it's a sin that some kids who were slower or had a learning disability would be in special education classes. 

kashell

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
I thought of another odd rating. Or rather, I find it odd that the developers made it so they would get a certain rating.

Dark Souls II and the upcoming Dark Souls III have a T rating, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have an M rating. For games that have such dark, depressing and bleak atmosphere with stories to match, one would think that the graphics would follow suit. I feel that games like that should have the blood and gore to make it earn the M rating. It just won't feel as impactful with a T rating.

Since we are talking about ESRB ratings and not say...PEGI ratings, this country is so flippin' messed up that if Looney Tunes were a new show today, it would be on Adult Swim or labeled for Teens and up. 

You know, because I totally remember kids when I was growing up strapping ACME rockets to our back and dropping anvils on our heads like Wiley Coyote.  Or totally thinking that it was real.   ::)

At least they finally struck down the "No Child Left Behind" act.  All it did was make it so every kid would pass.  The problem?  They dumbed down the curriculum so that everyone could pass.  Because it's a sin that some kids who were slower or had a learning disability would be in special education classes. 

Looney Tunes is a go to whenever I need to be cheered up and need of a good laugh. I fear that kids these days won't be able to watch it because some brainless nitwit of a parent will see one episode and get offended as is common practice in this country and some sort of protesting will follow.