Author Topic: New Dreamcast...Really?!  (Read 9794 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: New Dreamcast...Really?!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 02:46:35 pm »
If any group has a chance of making this real it would be this team. I still stand by my earlier post that Sega would fail at competing in the open market (Ouya, Nintendo come to mind recently).

This group is different than all the others that have sprung up over the years though. It is being handled with some people who actually have some skill sets.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 06:14:48 pm »

soera

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 12:20:42 am »
I just have one question .... why? What is the purpose in another console?

abe

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

A nostalgia trip for Sega fanboys from the 90s. ???
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2016, 10:12:29 am »
Realistically?  It sounds like a method of getting current Sega arcades into the home market.

telly

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 12:32:41 pm »

A nostalgia trip for Sega fanboys from the 90s. ???

Can't say I disagree with that assessment, haha. I'm not a big fan of the Dreamcast in general though, so I'm biased.  :P
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2016, 01:22:13 pm »
I hate the Dreamcast. Its 2nd only to the N64 as the worst full blown console ever made. Thats not my issue though. There is already a Nintendo system, a Sony system, and a Microshaft system. The list of games coming out is not only impressive but extensive. What on earth makes us need another console company ? I can not see a single thing that they can bring to the table that will sway anyone from the big 3 (4 if you count the PC) right now. Hell, damn near every Sega title is being whored out to at least one of those 3 atm as it is.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
^ This was never intended to compete with big consoles. It's a niche thing, like the Neo Geo X was. That is, unless Sega decides to take it full-blown, which I haven't read or heard.

And really guys? This is a retro-oriented forum. You guys really can't see how this would sell to the modern retro-gamer?

kashell

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »
I hate the Dreamcast. Its 2nd only to the N64 as the worst full blown console ever made. Thats not my issue though. There is already a Nintendo system, a Sony system, and a Microshaft system. The list of games coming out is not only impressive but extensive. What on earth makes us need another console company ? I can not see a single thing that they can bring to the table that will sway anyone from the big 3 (4 if you count the PC) right now. Hell, damn near every Sega title is being whored out to at least one of those 3 atm as it is.

You know what I hate? People who don't take down their Christmas decorations after Christmas is long gone.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 01:57:21 pm »
When the original Neo Geo was released, was it released to be a competitive home console, or was it released to be a way to allow people to play arcade games at home?  My understanding was that it was the latter.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »
^ I think you meant to quote me, since you're mentioning the Neo Geo. But yeah, the Neo Geo was definetly a niche thing. They were going after people with premium money, and the company pretty much said as much when they released it (going by the book I read on the history of gaming, "High Score: The Illustrated History of Electronic Gaming"). It was $600 at release, back in the early 90s. That's like $1000 today. When other consoles were $100-$200.

But even then, I named the "Neo Geo X", which is an aftermarket release of the console released just a few years back to the retro-gaming crowd; similar to what might be happening with this Dreamcast 2.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:25 pm »
^ I think you meant to quote me, since you're mentioning the Neo Geo. But yeah, the Neo Geo was definetly a niche thing. They were going after people with premium money, and the company pretty much said as much when they released it (going by the book I read on the history of gaming, "High Score: The Illustrated History of Electronic Gaming"). It was $600 at release, back in the early 90s. That's like $1000 today. When other consoles were $100-$200.

But even then, I named the "Neo Geo X", which is an aftermarket release of the console released just a few years back to the retro-gaming crowd; similar to what might be happening with this Dreamcast 2.
No, I meant to quote who I quoted.  Neo Geo X is a different thing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:52 pm »
...but he didn't mention Neo Geo, I did.

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
...but he didn't mention Neo Geo, I did.
You mentioned Neo Geo X.

Earlier I made the speculation that this Dreamcast 2 might be a situation where SEGA would release their arcade boards as Neo Geo did back in the day.  My statement is not relevant to your Neo Geo X statement, whereas his question was how can SEGA compete in a market with 3 big systems already.  My speculation is that it wouldn't serve to compete.  It's a product for a niche market.

soera

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2016, 03:08:14 pm »
The NeoGeo X is a perfect example of why this DC2 should never come into existence.