Author Topic: VR  (Read 7817 times)

davifus

Re: VR
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 06:16:15 pm »
FWIW, I will (mostly) gladly pay $600 for Oculus if it ends up being the superior product.  I'm just waiting to see how it shakes out with the Vive and Playstation VR.

Same, I'm almost tempted right now to Pre-order it. I have pretty capable computer to handle it so I dont see that as an issue.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 09:01:26 am »
I received my Gear VR yesterday and played around with it for an hour or two.  For what it is and for $100, I am fairly impressed.  Naturally, when you have what basically amounts to magnifying glasses right in front of a AMOLED phone screen, you are going to see the pixels.  With that being said, sitting on a virtual couch, looking around a beautiful virtual home and watching Netflix on "the big screen" was pretty fun.  I also downloaded an underwater simulation with sharks, turtles, etc. 

With that being said, would I have bothered with this if I didn't already own a compatible phone?  No.  Would I have actually bought this if my wife hadn't won it from Samsung?  Possibly.  Will I continue to tinker and enjoy it?  Definitely. 

The problem with VR is the cost of entry, at least so far.  Gear VR is a cool, but niche product that only users of Samsung's latest flagship phones can use.  Oculus Rift is a niche product that only owners of a pretty potent, powerful PC can use. 

I know that they claim they are selling it "around cost", but when the dev kits cost $350, I can't see how the retail unit would be $600+.  The storage box can't cost all that much.  Even tacking on $60 for an Xbox controller only brings it up to $410.  And the two games are worth what, about $40 for the pair?  $60 tops?  That makes it $470.  And please note, if you look up the costs of buying development kits for just about any hardware platform, they are always outrageously priced compared to a retail model.

With all that being said, I believe VR can and will be a viable platform.  My hope is that PlayStation VR comes in around $300-$350 for the standalone kit.  I know it has that extra CPU box, but without needing a camera, controllers, bundled game, etc. it should be cheaper.  I hope anyway. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

theflea

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 10:46:06 am »
At the $600 price tag for the Oculus Rift I was an instant pass for right now. The only reason I was semi interested in the Rift was they where talking about maybe making it usable on the Xbox One at some point. (I guess they where having talks with microsoft about it.)
But this is only a maybe, so ATM my interest in the Rift is zero.

I'm more interested in Sony's VR because I'm a console gamer.
While we don't know what Sony's price is going to be (i'm sure they will try and beat the Oculus Rift) if Sony has a Price tag over $400 ya... I might wait. They already claim it will cost about the same price as a PS4 so I'm guessing around $400.
I think the whole VR thing is cool, but in a gimmicky way. It would be fun to mess around with it and see your friends mess with it. But it would get old quick in time and probably left of the shelf more then used.
I think the only way I would race out and buy one is if it bombs so bad and is discontinued quick and because not many where made it might become a rare collectors item like the Power Glove or Virtual Boy.  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:50:08 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

gf78

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:20 am »
At the $600 price tag for the Oculus Rift I was an instant pass for right now. The only reason I was semi interested in the Rift was they where talking about maybe making it usable on the Xbox One at some point. (I guess they where having talks with microsoft about it.)
But this is only a maybe, so ATM my interest in the Rift is zero.

I'm more interested in Sony's VR because I'm a console gamer.
While we don't know what Sony's price is going to be (i'm sure they will try and beat the Oculus Rift) if Sony has a Price tag over $400 ya... I might wait. They already claim it will cost about the same price as a PS4 so I'm guessing around $400.
I think the whole VR thing is cool, but in a gimmicky way. It would be fun to mess around with it and see your friends mess with it. But it would get old quick in time and probably left of the shelf more then used.
I think the only way I would race out and buy one is if it bombs so bad and is discontinued quick and because not many where made it might become a rare collectors item like the Power Glove or Virtual Boy.  :P

I'm hoping for $350 to $400 max.  If all you need is the VR itself because you already have the camera, it should save a bit and I can't see Sony forcing people who already own the camera to buy another one.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »
600 is nutz. When the dev kits were going for 200-250 I figured that it might be 400 or something, which is do-able, but 6 bills?
I'm waiting for the Valve/HTC Vive. That's going to blow everything out of the water.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:02:56 pm by badATchaos »

gf78

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:44 pm »
600 is nutz. When the dev kits were going for 200-250 I figured that it might be 400 or something, which is do-able, but 6 bills?
I'm waiting for the Valve/HTC Vive. That's going to blow everything out of the water.

Uhmm...if you think Oculus was high, it's rumored that the Vive is going to cost upwards of $800 because of the bundled controllers, etc.   :-\  If PlayStation VR is much more than $400, I'm not buying. 

gf78

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 02:29:50 pm »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2016, 06:33:38 pm »
Take it with a grain of salt but

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/632733/Sony-PS4-PlayStation-VR-Headset-UK-Price-Release-Date

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/07/playstation-vr-listed-for-800-on-amazon-canada-pre-order-page/

They are claiming its an error, but we gotta wait and see

That's most likely
Annnnnd.......Sony can shove it straight up their tailpipe.

most likely just a placeholder for when they actually release it. I remember seeing Wii U Launch games having a $100 price before the price was set to $60 on Amazon

gf78

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:26 am »
Take it with a grain of salt but

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/632733/Sony-PS4-PlayStation-VR-Headset-UK-Price-Release-Date

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/07/playstation-vr-listed-for-800-on-amazon-canada-pre-order-page/

They are claiming its an error, but we gotta wait and see

That's most likely
Annnnnd.......Sony can shove it straight up their tailpipe.

most likely just a placeholder for when they actually release it. I remember seeing Wii U Launch games having a $100 price before the price was set to $60 on Amazon

I really hope that is the case. 

soera

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »
Geez, more expensive than the console lol Maybe in like 5 or 10 years I'll consider looking at one of these VR headsets when they are much cheaper.

Also the cost of PSVR is more than just 400 bucks.  It requires the PS Camera which is 60 bucks and will basically need the move controller, so it's more like 500 bucks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:12:52 pm by kamikazekeeg »

gf78

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2016, 09:28:34 am »
Geez, more expensive than the console lol Maybe in like 5 or 10 years I'll consider looking at one of these VR headsets when they are much cheaper.

Also the cost of PSVR is more than just 400 bucks.  It requires the PS Camera which is 60 bucks and will basically need the move controller, so it's more like 500 bucks.

The Camera is $50 everywhere I look and the move controllers are not required in any way.  That's what the light bar on the back of the DualShock 4 is for. 

I agree the price is high for VR, but when you consider all of the hardware involved they really couldn't make it any cheaper.  It's also cheaper by far than the HTC and Oculus options out there by itself, not to mention the PC components required for those systems to operate.  The PS4 is less than half the price of a PC equipped to run VR.   :o

rayne315

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 11:51:22 am »

The Camera is $50 everywhere I look and the move controllers are not required in any way.  That's what the light bar on the back of the DualShock 4 is for. 

I agree the price is high for VR, but when you consider all of the hardware involved they really couldn't make it any cheaper.  It's also cheaper by far than the HTC and Oculus options out there by itself, not to mention the PC components required for those systems to operate.  The PS4 is less than half the price of a PC equipped to run VR.   :o

Playstation VR:

Playstation 4: $350
Playstation Camera: $60
Playstation VR: $400

Total New Cost: $810

Oculus Rift:

Cheapest pre-built computer (ASUS): $950
Oculus Rift: $600

Total New Cost: $1550

HTC VIVE:

Cheapest pre-built vive compatible computer: Cant find information but I am assuming it will be slightly cheaper than the ASUS due to lower required parameters.
HTC VIVE: $800

Total New Cost: $1300-1700 (estimated cost of pc between $500-900)

Please feel free to tell me if I got any price information wrong and to update me with the price of the cheapest pre-built (not self-built) pc for the VIVE
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:54:15 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
PlayStation VR:  $400

Occulus Rift:  $600

HTC Vive:  $800

Xbox One flopping:  Priceless   :P