Author Topic: Style Guide suggestion for UK/BBFC games  (Read 1042 times)

tripredacus

Style Guide suggestion for UK/BBFC games
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:56:42 am »
Request that for UK Rated games that use [UK] suffix on item entry titles.

Not this (BBFC Suffix)
http://vgcollect.com/item/79837

Or this (no suffix)
http://vgcollect.com/item/59106

Since the category itself is [EU] there is no reason to specify any child entry as [EU] but BBFC games should have [UK] in similar ways to use other country codes for localized games released in Europe.

Re: Style Guide suggestion for UK/BBFC games
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:59:50 am »
Since this is an English speaking site maybe we should put the PEGI Uk/BBFC version of a game as the official version for [EU] category (i mean with no suffix or anything, just the title) and name correctly all others version, not (PEGI rating) or (USK Rating) but rather [DE] for games that have an USK Rating or [FR] for SELL Rating, same thing for the PEGI rating we should identify what language is on the back cover to indicate it on the title rather than put a (PEGI Rating) suffix, what do you think of it ?

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:53:45 am »
We already do indicate multiple languages in titles. What is the most common release type that exists?

Example: Is it more common that an English language PEGI rated game exists or a BBFC rated game? Is there a BBFC rated version for every PEGI rated release?

As it stands in the database already, there are more PEGI front arts in the EU category than BBFC. We definately shouldn't have a rule where we use (PEGI) on x language but not another, especially where PEGI ratings do exist.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:43:14 am »
We already do indicate multiple languages in titles. What is the most common release type that exists?

Example: Is it more common that an English language PEGI rated game exists or a BBFC rated game? Is there a BBFC rated version for every PEGI rated release?

No, if a PEGI rated game is released in UK then there is no BBFC rated version of that game, i don't really know how it works (i'm french after all, can't understand them ;D) but i've read that PEGI should have replaced BBFC for rating games years ago and yet there are still some games that are been released with a BBFC rating.

As it stands in the database already, there are more PEGI front arts in the EU category than BBFC. We definately shouldn't have a rule where we use (PEGI) on x language but not another, especially where PEGI ratings do exist.

Yes i understand your point, my thought was based on the fact that now in the EU Category we can't find in what language is a game (for an exemple look at that Bushido Blade, what version it is ? French, English... there is a ELSPA rating right so it's English ? But wait the French version have a ELSPA rating on the back cover too so...  :o).

So yes my idea was to change the titles of all the games to indicate the language directly, and if there is no suffix then we know directly that it's an English version, but i think you're right we shouldn't have a rule exclusively for certain language.

shfan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:18:09 am »
I'm no expert but from what I can gather:

The BBFC mainly rated games for mature content (IE legally-binding age-ratings) from somewhere during the ELSPA era through till recently. They were sometimes given games to rate which were based on films etc. (for some reason, probably on the publishers' insistence) and handed out 'U' or 'PG' ratings (non-legally binding) on games such as Spongebob, but for the main they were there to stop kids buying GTA and Mortal Kombat over the counter.

Within the past couple of years PEGI was given legally-binding status in the UK and the BBFC withdrew from rating video games - I think that's when PEGI ratings on UK versions of games transitioned from being white on a black background to being the colour-coded ones you see on current releases.

So in short, the BBFC only rated mature audience video games (with a few exceptions) but that is now no longer the case.

karyann

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:24:16 pm »
Request that for UK Rated games that use [UK] suffix on item entry titles.

Not this (BBFC Suffix)
http://vgcollect.com/item/79837

Or this (no suffix)
http://vgcollect.com/item/59106

Since the category itself is [EU] there is no reason to specify any child entry as [EU] but BBFC games should have [UK] in similar ways to use other country codes for localized games released in Europe.

From what I understand, BBFC is a UK-only rating? If that's the case, I believe that indeed, simply using [UK] would be more consistent.

shfan

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »
Yes, it's the British Board of Film Classification, they rate films for cinema and home release and have been the UK's statutory ratings body since 1985 according to their website. Rating video games was merely a sideline.