Author Topic: Is a Dreamcast worth picking up?  (Read 2072 times)

Is a Dreamcast worth picking up?
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:47:15 pm »
If so what are some games you would recommend getting first?

davifus

Re: Is a Dreamcast worth picking up?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 05:57:39 pm »
-Shenmue
-Sonic
-Jet Set Radio
-Crazy Taxi
-Skies of Arcadia
-Seaman
-Grandia
- Space channel
- Shumps
- most of the fighting games
- Dreamcast Homebrews
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

theflea

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 06:34:04 pm »
Here's the list of games most any Dreamcast owner would say is worth playing.
Many of these games can be pricey today. Finding Dreamcast games in the wild seems impossible nowadays.

Bangai-O
Cannon Spike
Capcom vs SNK
Chu-Chu Rocket
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Dead or Alive 2
Dino Crisis
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Grandia II
Gunbird 2
Jet Grind Radio
Last Blade 2
Mars Matrix
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Power Stone 2
Quake III Arena
Rayman 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
SoulCalibur
Space Channel 5
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Unreal Tournament
Worms Armageddon

Also on a side note most of the 2K sport games are decent if you like sport games.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »
If so what are some games you would recommend getting first?
Look at my gamelist on my profile.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:14:07 pm »
My first picks:
-Carrier - Hidden Gem. A total rip-off of the old-school RE games. But a good one. Ironically enough, the ripping-off came full-circle somewhat recently with the release of Resident Evil: Revelations, which takes place on a huge cargo ship, just like this one.
-Dynamite Cop - Short, but fun beat-em up game with similar gameplay to Fighting Force, intermixed with high-octane cutscenes with quick-time events.
-House of the Dead 2 - Horror Light-Gun game that's perfect for fans of cheesy horror movies.
-Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2 - Fan-freaking-tastic 2D fighter by Capcom combining SF and other Capcom characters with Marvel Comics characters.
-Maken X - I almost forgot this one...shame on me. I had to come back and add it to my post. Fantastic, and unique action game. You can take control of different characters through the game by "mindjacking them", creating a different gameplay experience for each character. But at it's core, it's a 3D beat-em up/hack-n-slash.
-Rayman 2 - Best platformer on the system, IMO (eat that Sonic Adventure). Available on other systems, but this is the best version.
-Record of Lodoss War - Diablo-style RPG based on the fantastic anime of the same name.
-Sega Smash Pack - The old school Genesis games are great, but you can get better collections on other systems. The real draw here is the port of Virtua Cop 2, which is compatible with Dreamcast light-guns. If you don't have a Saturn, get it for this.
-Spider-Man - (Not the same game as the PS2/XBox/GameCube game based on the movie). Best version of one of the best action games and super-hero games of that generation. It is also available on N64 and PS1, but this is the best version.
-Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense - You like Twisted Metal? Then you will ADORE this game. More weapons, more vehicles, more areas to fight in; similar gameplay. And better graphics, to boot, since it's on Dreamcast.
-Zombie Revenge - Set in the same world as House of the Dead, but this time a beat-em up with similar gameplay to Fighting Force, but fighting zombies and monsters instead.

Honorable Mentions:
-Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 - A taxi game, no really. You race customers around for cab-fare (points) as fast as you can, running rampant over an entire city. A lot of fun, in short bursts.
-Quake 3: Arena - Great multiplayer FPS. I say honorable mention because it's really only good for local multiplayer. Since it's 2016 and all, and the PC version is online and the Dreamcast one isn't anymore.
-Resident Evil 2 & 3 - Best versions of these survival-horror masterpieces, besides the GameCube versions (or so I'm told, I haven't actually played the GC versions). Also available on PS1, and RE2 on N64.
-Resident Evil: Code Veronica - Fantastic old-school RE game. Honorable mention because it's available for later systems.
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2 - A time-killer game that's just a ton of fun. But like RE: Code Veronica, it's available on other systems.
-Unreal Tournament - Great multiplayer FPS. I say honorable mention because like Quake III, it's really only good for local multiplayer. The PC version is online and the Dreamcast one isn't anymore.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:18:59 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:35:20 am »
Also while some of the Dreamcast games can get fairly pricey, its not nearly as bad as some of the other Sega consoles. (Saturn I'm looking at you). Few games go over 100 bucks, and most are in the comfortable 30-60 bracket for decent more popular games. Also playing different region games is stupid easy requiring literally nothing but a homebrew CD you can make yourself and no modding to the console. This along with a VGA cable (highly recommended) will let you play the PAL exclusive games in english that we in the US never got like Shemune 2, Fighting Vipers 2, and Headhunter. It also opens up the world of import Japanese games if thats your thing.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
The big thing holding me back is that my local retro store never really has games for it.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:25:58 pm »
I ended up splurging, i picked up Sonic adventures 2 and Sega Smash pack

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 06:15:53 pm »
It's a great start. Just be aware that sound emulation on the smash pack is pretty bad. I mean it's still playable but you will notice it.  But still a lot good game play.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 03:45:42 pm »
Absolutely. Even though it's worse than the PS1 and PS2, it is still a great console with many great games. I'd recommend Grandia II, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue. Also get a DC-X for the PAL-only Shenmue II (released in the US on Xbox).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:49:44 pm by courtlyhades296 »

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:50:17 pm »
It's a great start. Just be aware that sound emulation on the smash pack is pretty bad. I mean it's still playable but you will notice it.  But still a lot good game play.

the only game i have played on the  genesis before playing on the smashpack was sonic  :-\

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:12:13 pm »
Then in that case you won't care. You won't have anything to compare it to. I mean the sounds aren't meaningless garble. They are just horribly off key. It's something you would notice right away if you were a genesis fan as a kid or now but if you never played them it's not as big of a deal.