Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24524 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:01 pm »
Genesis is the winner in my opinion, but just for personal preference. Sega probably could have stayed neck and neck with Nintendo in America if they would have focused more on games and pushing the Genesis instead of Sega CD and 32x. (Nintendo should have learned Sega's lesson - don't be first to market (Wii U), don't make upgrade or add ons for your system (New 3ds, maybe NX), and don't burn your fanbase (Wii U and New 3ds are about to have this happen I bet).

I actually liked the SNES more when I was younger, but I have found more of an appreciation for the Genesis as an adult.

Sega is the Mike Huckabee of video game companies. They continually lost almost every election (cycle) and would keep plugging away for another run at it. They fought hard to bring their unique perspective to the industry, but it wasn't ever going to win it all. Other than Mike Huckabee is a Christian and seems to have a pretty clean record, and Sega is probably crawling with Yakuza money. 

The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

sin2beta

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:20 pm »
Genesis is the winner in my opinion, but just for personal preference. Sega probably could have stayed neck and neck with Nintendo in America if they would have focused more on games and pushing the Genesis instead of Sega CD and 32x. (Nintendo should have learned Sega's lesson - don't be first to market (Wii U), don't make upgrade or add ons for your system (New 3ds, maybe NX), and don't burn your fanbase (Wii U and New 3ds are about to have this happen I bet).

I actually liked the SNES more when I was younger, but I have found more of an appreciation for the Genesis as an adult.

Sega is the Mike Huckabee of video game companies. They continually lost almost every election (cycle) and would keep plugging away for another run at it. They fought hard to bring their unique perspective to the industry, but it wasn't ever going to win it all. Other than Mike Huckabee is a Christian and seems to have a pretty clean record, and Sega is probably crawling with Yakuza money.

Well, I feel a little odd siding with the Genesis after the Huckabee comparison...  ;)

You seem to be right about the yakuza stuff too. There was a recent interview where a ex-yakuza stated the only clean companies in games were Namco and Nintendo. However, reading Game Over, I get the impression they ran stuff basically like the yakuza anyway and didn't need them. Yamauchi was one iron-fisted, take everyone one down, type of guy.

Well, I definitely side with the Genesis. However, they are both great systems.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:26 pm »
Well, I feel a little odd siding with the Genesis after the Huckabee comparison...  ;)

You seem to be right about the yakuza stuff too. There was a recent interview where a ex-yakuza stated the only clean companies in games were Namco and Nintendo. However, reading Game Over, I get the impression they ran stuff basically like the yakuza anyway and didn't need them. Yamauchi was one iron-fisted, take everyone one down, type of guy.

Well, I definitely side with the Genesis. However, they are both great systems.

I didn't bring up the Huckabee comparison to make it political (not sure if most people care for him here or would rather see him run out of the country), but it made me think of him how he runs for president every opportunity and his chances are 0% of ever making office.

I could see Nintendo being Yakuza free especially since they don't do much arcade, pachinko, etc... If Sega was not wrapped up in the Yakuza before they definitely are now being with Sammy.

Speaking of Yamauchi - here is a fitting article about the Genesis/SNES battle. http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/1994-02-20/nintendos-yamauchi-no-more-playing-around

Maybe even the Yakuza who probably have the whole country under their thumb couldn't even intimidate Yamauchi.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
To me it's a kin to comparing Dreamcast to PS2. Same generation but one is a bit newer and has a bit more juice. Yes, the Mega Drive was faster in some ways but the SNES was generally more advance, thanks to it being a bit newer.

When it comes to games the same kind of thing applies. Many of the hits on the MD/Genesis came out in the 80s and are generally simplistic. This doesn't mean the system was bad or anything, it's just that devs were still thinking on a simpler 8bit mind set. To me games like Sonic and Altered Beast were just pretty NES games. Over the next few years developers did started making more complex games and by the time SNES came out I think they knew what they were doing.

All i'm trying to say is that the difference in hardware makes them hard tricky to compare. I know the Dreamcast-PS2 analogy is kinda weak because in that case there was a bigger tech gap but I think you get my meaning.

Comparing dreamcast to ps2 hell no.

The ps2 is far superior to the dreamcast while snes and megadrive/ genesis are really close.

I'm talking about game library and that the dreamcast was dead pretty early.

Also about people thinking that sega fanboys like sonic games, best of the system etc? Think again sonic games are one of the least things I think about when turning on my megadrive.

I barely play sonic games, when I play on my megadrive not to great, compared to other stuff on the megadrive wich the reason is why I appreciate this system.

I think sega did better than nintendo in this era. Nintendo definitly has some great games

I'm a mario fanboy and you cannot compare mario to sonic but some other games on the sega console are a hell lot of fun to play.

Also I prefer castlevania bloodlines/new generation to super castlevania IV both great games

Music is superior in sega, for other sounds snes usually wins not always.

Streets of rage 2 has awesome music and the best in the sor series streets of rage 1 pales in comparison.

People always complain about the 3 button pad but you could just use an arcade controller problem solved afterwards. Who cares about the regular controller if you get a better one. I;ve got 2 arcade controllers myself and 2 wireless 6 button controllers so no problems for me.

Also for great rpg's on the snes with chrono trigger, final fantasy III etc, sega has phantasy star IV and the shining force series.

Nintendo did better with adds and sega is pretty less known with it's better games but if your talking about grapics sound and gameplay I'll give sega the win.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:38:53 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
Nintendo did better with adds and sega is pretty less known with it's better games but if your talking about grapics sound and gameplay I'll give sega the win.

Actually I only (vaguely) remember a couple Nintendo ads:

One for Star Fox "danger danger" "you are FOX mccloud, in Star Fox".

The other is for the Super Scope. Accurate down to "A single. Television. pixel."

I remember a TON of Sega commercials though.

The Sonic and Knucles proposal to Santa with "lock on technology".

The Sega Genesis "blast processing" commercial

The "Say what!? You still don't have a Sega CD!? What are you waiting for Nintendo to make one?" Commercial

The "you can't do this on Nintendo. Genesis does!" Commercials.

Those are off the top of my head and our was a Nintendo household at the time.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 04:19:47 pm »

Actually I only (vaguely) remember a couple Nintendo ads:

One for Star Fox "danger danger" "you are FOX mccloud, in Star Fox".

The other is for the Super Scope. Accurate down to "A single. Television. pixel."

I remember a TON of Sega commercials though.

The Sonic and Knucles proposal to Santa with "lock on technology".

The Sega Genesis "blast processing" commercial

The "Say what!? You still don't have a Sega CD!? What are you waiting for Nintendo to make one?" Commercial

The "you can't do this on Nintendo. Genesis does!" Commercials.

Those are off the top of my head and our was a Nintendo household at the time.

That's true however this really applies to their sonic games.

I mean you must agree that some really good genesis games are really unknown compared to the gems on nintendo.

People nowadays mainly talk about the sonic games, when talking about the genesis console since other than those games the other games did not get that much attention, I actually meant by adds for selling them games nintendo did a better job than sega not the tv commercials part.

The campaign of sega was mainly focused on the console and sonic games or games like altered beast streets of rage golden axe (launch title)  some really good games on the sega console are really unknown thanks to bad advertisement on sega's part their is no denying on that since it is fact.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:40:27 pm by sworddude »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 08:28:11 pm »
I think part of that is Sonic was Sega's mascot. :) With Nintendo staring out with Mario front and center and Sega bringing Sonic on board after the fact they had to heavily advertise and put him out there.

He was their (very effective) Mario killer.

Other than the titles already mentioned what are some of these lesser known Genesis killer apps you speak of?

I'm not trolling. I have 3 Genesis consoles, 2 game gears and over 80 games for the Genesis.

None (other than Sonic series and Streets of Rage) really stand out to me.

Many here keep talking about the awesomeness of the game library. So I'm not trying to argue that.

I really just want to know what I'm missing.

maximo310

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 10:23:43 pm »
In techincal terms,
If you compare the system designs of both systems, the Genesis is far better designed spec-wise for a 1988 machine, vs. SNES for a 1991 machine. A large part of that was because of the insisting that the SNES  have a PCM-based sound chip ( SPC-700) instead of a hybrid solution like a YM2151+OKI6295/ YM2610. As a result, the SNES had to cut back in the CPU power, the amount of RAM for different areas, and backwards comptability to keep the price down.

Both systems had terrible default sound drivers, meaning that third- parties had to create their own sound drivers if they wanted to use different voicings/samples from the defaults. Good examples of this are the FFIV-FFV-FFVI OST's for the SNES, and Thunder Force II-III-IV for the Genesis.

When it comes to games, I think the SNES overall has top tier games in certain genres such as RPG's, strategy,action-adventure, and platformers, while the Genesis had better sports games, arcade games, and shmups. One of Sega's tactics at the time was to make more games, which were usually B-tier quality ( Sonic Spinball, Kid Chamelon) to compete against Nintendo's A-tier games that came out less often. More games translated into more overall sales, especially once Sonic started to help sell Genesis systems.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 11:19:36 pm »
I think part of that is Sonic was Sega's mascot. :) With Nintendo staring out with Mario front and center and Sega bringing Sonic on board after the fact they had to heavily advertise and put him out there.

Other than the titles already mentioned what are some of these lesser known Genesis killer apps you speak of?

I'm not trolling. I have 3 Genesis consoles, 2 game gears and over 80 games for the Genesis.

Many here keep talking about the awesomeness of the game library. So I'm not trying to argue that.

Nothing. Most titles have been mentioned already - Thunder Force, Sports titles, etc... Only other huge sellers that were Genesis exclusives were some of the X-Men games. I remember wanting those as a kid since all I had was a SNES. Some might say Mega Man Wily Wars also, but in North America it was available through Sega Channel. Dis anyone here ever use that service?

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 03:12:40 am »
In techincal terms,
If you compare the system designs of both systems, the Genesis is far better designed spec-wise for a 1988 machine, vs. SNES for a 1991 machine. A large part of that was because of the insisting that the SNES  have a PCM-based sound chip ( SPC-700) instead of a hybrid solution like a YM2151+OKI6295/ YM2610. As a result, the SNES had to cut back in the CPU power, the amount of RAM for different areas, and backwards comptability to keep the price down.

Both systems had terrible default sound drivers, meaning that third- parties had to create their own sound drivers if they wanted to use different voicings/samples from the defaults. Good examples of this are the FFIV-FFV-FFVI OST's for the SNES, and Thunder Force II-III-IV for the Genesis.

When it comes to games, I think the SNES overall has top tier games in certain genres such as RPG's, strategy,action-adventure, and platformers, while the Genesis had better sports games, arcade games, and shmups. One of Sega's tactics at the time was to make more games, which were usually B-tier quality ( Sonic Spinball, Kid Chamelon) to compete against Nintendo's A-tier games that came out less often. More games translated into more overall sales, especially once Sonic started to help sell Genesis systems.

Phantasy star IV is up there for an rpg of high quality.

This is exactly what I mean most people who are a nintendo guy with a sega only talk about sonic and streets of rage and or golden axe or altered beast.  Definitly not the greatest games so stereothypical and people saying so many sport games. People are just missing the picture when there is no famous mastcot mentioned in the games.

I mean the game the mentioned above are easy to come by and the better known titles on the sega are pretty hard to come by but not that expensive by all means when comparing to nintendo.

Just some examples of what you are missing

The sega is a system of shootemups musha truxton thunderforce phelios raiden trad etc.

Arcade games: strider, second samurai, mega turrican better than the 2 super turrican games on the snes by far. super turrican 2 was particulary bad. splatter house series outrun.

Platformers/ run and gun castlevania bloodlines, rocket knight adventures, sparkster shinobi series contra hard cops, gunstar heroes.

Rpg's phantasy star series IV is the best III is the worst, shining force series, crusader of centy

There are way more games, I just hate it when people don't see this awesome games in the library

I have seen more people with 80 games for a console but quantity does not mean quality since allot of people have allot of filler titles wich are not worth playing. There are allot of crappy games on the sega but same goes for snes.

Also I do see you have some nice quality games in the collection for the sega.

Have you ever tried playing shinobi III castlevania bloodlines turtles hyperstone heist, contra, gunstar heroes, ristar or rocketknight?

All quality games but few in that list are one of the best of the system I'm suprised you only find the sonic and streets of rage games to stand out when you have some awesome games in the collection some wich are the best for the system. I'm curious if you have ever played one of the above titles, if not give them at least a try especially shinobi III.

If you don't like all games mentioned above than the sega ain't for you aside from the sonic titles with respect since everyone has their own taste and these are the kinda games sega has to offer.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:44:32 am by sworddude »

gf78

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:45 am »

This is exactly what I mean most people who are a nintendo guy with a sega only talk about sonic and streets of rage and or golden axe or altered beast.  Definitly not the greatest games so stereothypical and people saying so many sport games. People are just missing the picture when there is no famous mastcot mentioned in the games.

I mean the game the mentioned above are easy to come by and the better known titles on the sega are pretty hard to come by but not that expensive by all means when comparing to nintendo.

Just some examples of what you are missing

The sega is a system of shootemups musha truxton thunderforce phelios raiden trad etc.

Arcade games: strider, second samurai, mega turrican better than the 2 super turrican games on the snes by far. super turrican 2 was particulary bad. splatter house series outrun.

Platformers/ run and gun castlevania bloodlines, rocket knight adventures, sparkster shinobi series contra hard cops, gunstar heroes.

Rpg's phantasy star series IV is the best III is the worst, shining force series, crusader of centy

There are way more games, I just hate it when people don't see this awesome games in the library

I have seen more people with 80 games for a console but quantity does not mean quality since allot of people have allot of filler titles wich are not worth playing. There are allot of crappy games on the sega but same goes for snes.

Also I do see you have some nice quality games in the collection for the sega.

Have you ever tried playing shinobi III castlevania bloodlines turtles hyperstone heist, contra, gunstar heroes, ristar or rocketknight?

All quality games but few in that list are one of the best of the system I'm suprised you only find the sonic and streets of rage games to stand out when you have some awesome games in the collection some wich are the best for the system. I'm curious if you have ever played one of the above titles, if not give them at least a try especially shinobi III.

If you don't like all games mentioned above than the sega ain't for you aside from the sonic titles with respect since everyone has their own taste and these are the kinda games sega has to offer.

I'm not poo-pooing the Genesis/MegaDrive library, but I have to be honest when I say that owning both simultaneously the SNES trounced the Genesis at every turn.  Every game you mention like Turtles, Castlevania, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Gunstar, RocketKnight....they all had a similar and almost universally better version or equivalent on the SNES. 

I loved my Genesis back in the day but I'm just being honest when I say that the SNES killed it.  I also found many of the "beloved" Sega games to quite frankly-suck.  Comix Zone.  Altered Beast.  Alex Kidd.  Ecco.  Flicky.  Kid Chameleon.  Vectorman.  These games sucked.  The multiplatform games were always inferior and the versions of Castlevania, Turtles and others were just "Hey look, we got that too!" versions that felt half-hearted.

And while fun for awhile, Shinobi was always a lesser Ninja Gaiden. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 09:48:28 am »
I will always prefer the Genesis to the SNES, mostly because I grew up with it and my friends at the time had the Genesis as well. I still prefer Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles to Mario World 1 and 2, and may other games on he Genesis. Yes, the SNES was technically superior, but the Genesis is s till an amazing console and one that I am quite fond of and always will be.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:50 am »
Landstalker & Moonwalker... 'Nuff Said

Genesis wins. Next system match up.

gf78

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
Landstalker & Moonwalker... 'Nuff Said

Genesis wins. Next system match up.

Pfft.  Dreams died back in '01 when Sega as a hardware maker went kaput.  Nintendo keeps chugging along 15 years later.  And Landstalker sucked and had some of the most horrendous artwork and graphics.  And Moonwalker?  Hahahahahahahahaha.

I think someone forgot the sarcasm tag.   :P  Chrono Trigger laughs in the Genesis' face.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

maximo310

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:38 am »

It is, but the amount of high quality rpgs on the Genesis pales in comparison to the amount available on the SNES.