Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24589 times)

sworddude

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 11:31:40 am »
Phantasy star IV is up there for an rpg of high quality.

This is exactly what I mean most people who are a nintendo guy with a sega only talk about sonic and streets of rage and or golden axe or altered beast.  Definitly not the greatest games so stereothypical and people saying so many sport games. People are just missing the picture when there is no famous mastcot mentioned in the games.

I mean the game the mentioned above are easy to come by and the better known titles on the sega are pretty hard to come by but not that expensive by all means when comparing to nintendo.

Just some examples of what you are missing

The sega is a system of shootemups musha truxton thunderforce phelios raiden trad etc.

Arcade games: strider, second samurai, mega turrican better than the 2 super turrican games on the snes by far. super turrican 2 was particulary bad. splatter house series outrun.

Platformers/ run and gun castlevania bloodlines, rocket knight adventures, sparkster shinobi series contra hard cops, gunstar heroes.

Rpg's phantasy star series IV is the best III is the worst, shining force series, crusader of centy

There are way more games, I just hate it when people don't see this awesome games in the library

I have seen more people with 80 games for a console but quantity does not mean quality since allot of people have allot of filler titles wich are not worth playing. There are allot of crappy games on the sega but same goes for snes.

Also I do see you have some nice quality games in the collection for the sega.

Have you ever tried playing shinobi III castlevania bloodlines turtles hyperstone heist, contra, gunstar heroes, ristar or rocketknight?

All quality games but few in that list are one of the best of the system I'm suprised you only find the sonic and streets of rage games to stand out when you have some awesome games in the collection some wich are the best for the system. I'm curious if you have ever played one of the above titles, if not give them at least a try especially shinobi III.

If you don't like all games mentioned above than the sega ain't for you aside from the sonic titles with respect since everyone has their own taste and these are the kinda games sega has to offer.

I'm not poo-pooing the Genesis/MegaDrive library, but I have to be honest when I say that owning both simultaneously the SNES trounced the Genesis at every turn.  Every game you mention like Turtles, Castlevania, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Gunstar, RocketKnight....they all had a similar and almost universally better version or equivalent on the SNES. 

I loved my Genesis back in the day but I'm just being honest when I say that the SNES killed it.  I also found many of the "beloved" Sega games to quite frankly-suck.  Comix Zone.  Altered Beast.  Alex Kidd.  Ecco.  Flicky.  Kid Chameleon.  Vectorman.  These games sucked.  The multiplatform games were always inferior and the versions of Castlevania, Turtles and others were just "Hey look, we got that too!" versions that felt half-hearted.

And while fun for awhile, Shinobi was always a lesser Ninja Gaiden.

Have you ever played shinobi III?

By far superior to the ninja gaiden series and way better than shinobi 1 if you compared that game to ninja gaiden.

Also I own both sega and snes system and I find castlevania on the sega to be better than super castlevania IV also batman & robin advenutres was the better game on the sega console

Also nintendo did not have splatterhouse.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:44:22 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 12:07:20 pm »

By far superior to the ninja gaiden series and way better than shinobi 1 if you compared that game to ninja gaiden.

Also I own both sega and snes system and I find castlevania on the sega to be better than super castlevania IV also batman & robin advenutres was the better game on the sega console

Yep, played Shinobi III.  It's on my Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as well.  Personal preference of course, but Ninja Gaiden shat all over it. 

As for Castlevania Bloodlines, I always hated the graphics and the stupid lance.  Super Castlevania is universally considered the superior title.  Batman & Robin I cannot comment on as I never cared for those games.

Splatterhouse?  I'm sure Nintendo wasn't hurting from that missing title when they had the massive Squaresoft and Enix catalog exclusively on their system.  Nothing can touch those games.  Each and every one a masterpiece. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
Ouch - not a fan of Isometric view or crotch grabbing?

If we are going to make this a personal Sega/Nintendo war since your unclean lips spoke of 2001 then here we go.  ;D
Sega:
1. First to use Haptic Feedback in videogames.
2. Stylus game control first patent awarded to Sega
3. 3d stereoscopic gaming - Sega first
4. First Dedicated Game system with additional features - game gear with tv tuner
5. PS plus and Live Gold games. Rip off of Sega Channel (ok - GameLine was first... Love you, Atari)
6. Sega creates the First game console to have a full blown operating system installed
7. Sega Activator - revel in its magnificence

Landstalker & Moonwalker... 'Nuff Said

Genesis wins. Next system match up.

Pfft.  Dreams died back in '01 when Sega as a hardware maker went kaput.  Nintendo keeps chugging along 15 years later.  And Landstalker sucked and had some of the most horrendous artwork and graphics.  And Moonwalker?  Hahahahahahahahaha.

I think someone forgot the sarcasm tag.   :P  Chrono Trigger laughs in the Genesis' face.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 12:25:33 pm »

If we are going to make this a personal Sega/Nintendo war since your unclean lips spoke of 2001 then here we go.  ;D
Sega:
4. First Dedicated Game system with additional features - game gear with tv tuner
5. PS plus and Live Gold games. Rip off of Sega Channel (ok - GameLine was first... Love you, Atari)
6. Sega creates the First game console to have a full blown operating system installed

Pfft.  Dreams died back in '01 when Sega as a hardware maker went kaput.  Nintendo keeps chugging along 15 years later.  And Landstalker sucked and had some of the most horrendous artwork and graphics.  And Moonwalker?  Hahahahahahahahaha.

I think someone forgot the sarcasm tag.   :P  Chrono Trigger laughs in the Genesis' face.
I don't know what you consider to be a full blown OS, but the Bandai Pippin had a modified version of Mac OS on it.

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 12:28:05 pm »

Yep, played Shinobi III.  It's on my Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as well.  Personal preference of course, but Ninja Gaiden shat all over it. 

As for Castlevania Bloodlines, I always hated the graphics and the stupid lance.  Super Castlevania is universally considered the superior title.  Batman & Robin I cannot comment on as I never cared for those games.

Splatterhouse?  I'm sure Nintendo wasn't hurting from that missing title when they had the massive Squaresoft and Enix catalog exclusively on their system.  Nothing can touch those games.  Each and every one a masterpiece.

Phantasy star IV is by far better than most games of square soft and enix snes catalog and even considered to be better than titles such as chrono trigger and FF III.

gf78

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 12:28:36 pm »

Sega:

LOL....Here's some for Nintendo.

1.  Single-handedly revitalized the home video game market.  Meanwhile, Sega was busy playing with Tonka.   :P
2.  Only company to continue successfully releasing handhelds.  Game Gear and Nomad fizzled away.  Fast.
3.  Mario, Zelda and Metroid.  That right there blows away all the other four you listed for Sega.  So there.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »
I was referring to a Video Game Console. I always considered the Pippin as a cheap computer that focused heavily on games. Wasn't that thing like $700 when it came out. Makes me remember how expensive computers used to be.

Apple is the Playstation of computers and mobile devices. Steal everyone's ideas and make them "cool".
Oh yeah - I just took it there... (drops mic and walks off stage)

Sega:

I don't know what you consider to be a full blown OS, but the Bandai Pippin had a modified version of Mac OS on it.

gf78

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 12:32:05 pm »
Phantasy star IV is by far better than most games of square soft and enix snes catalog and even considered to be better than titles such as chrono trigger and FF III.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....excuse me.   ......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

From Wiki:
"Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium received generally mixed reviews, with critics typically approving of the gameplay elements but disapproving of the story and graphics. GamePro praised the ability to inspect background objects, the convenience of the macros and talk option, and the translation. However, they commented that the inability to purchase multiple items at once is irritating, and were especially critical of the story, describing it as routine, frequently incoherent, and derogatory towards women.[16] The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it an average score of 7.75 out of 10, commenting that the graphics are mediocre, the music is irritating, and the story is too slow paced, but that the magic/technique system, equipment, and general gameplay are all highly involving and enjoyable.[11] Sega Saturn Magazine (previously Sega Magazine) gave the game a 90%, saying that the graphics were outdated even compared to other Mega Drive/Genesis games and that the game is incomprehensible to newcomers to the series, but that "the game succeeds by creating cinematic moments, introducing new characters and powers, and taking many weird and wonderful plot turns."

gf78

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:39 pm »
Apple is the Playstation of computers and mobile devices. Steal everyone's ideas and make them "cool".

I believe you are thinking about Micro$$$oft. 

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 12:35:15 pm »
@gf78 you hate toy trucks too...? My heart cries for you.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....excuse me.   ......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

From Wiki:
"Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium received generally mixed reviews, with critics typically approving of the gameplay elements but disapproving of the story and graphics. GamePro praised the ability to inspect background objects, the convenience of the macros and talk option, and the translation. However, they commented that the inability to purchase multiple items at once is irritating, and were especially critical of the story, describing it as routine, frequently incoherent, and derogatory towards women.[16] The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it an average score of 7.75 out of 10, commenting that the graphics are mediocre, the music is irritating, and the story is too slow paced, but that the magic/technique system, equipment, and general gameplay are all highly involving and enjoyable.[11] Sega Saturn Magazine (previously Sega Magazine) gave the game a 90%, saying that the graphics were outdated even compared to other Mega Drive/Genesis games and that the game is incomprehensible to newcomers to the series, but that "the game succeeds by creating cinematic moments, introducing new characters and powers, and taking many weird and wonderful plot turns."

I cannot take critics seriously these days or in the past I'm sorry your post proves nothing.

A contender to beat titles such as chronotrigger and by many considered as the best.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
Also, doing something first and doing something right are completely different... if anything, some of those are negative points.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 12:41:11 pm »

I cant think of one thing Sony brought to the video game industry. Not one new invention or innovation. They just took existing things and sold them better than the competitors. Good for them. I am curious if anyone can name anything they contributed to further gaming.

Back on topic: SNES wins in being the ugliest console made for North America. Mine even turned yellow over the years. I'm not sure if it is because of the plastic they used or if it was because I used it as a urinal when I was playing long sessions on my Genesis.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:44:21 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:49 pm »

I cant think of one thing Sony brought to the video game industry. Not one new invention or innovation. They just took existing things and sold them better than the competitors. Good for them. I am curious if anyone can name anything they contributed to further gaming.

Back on topic: SNES wins in being the ugliest console made for North America.
Again, Sony made things orders of magnitude greater than Sega did.

Also, Dual joysticks, you are welcome WORLD.

Also, I don't know, the sega genesis with all of its expansions is pretty effin ugly.  Horrible eyesore.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:46:20 pm by ctracy87 »

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:17 pm »
@ctracy87

Too true - the dual analogue controller is now the norm.

UGLY????? How dare you?

Bask in the glory of it all!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:01:15 pm by DreamsDied13101 »