Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24629 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 01:02:22 pm »
^ The Sega tower looks like a vacuum cleaner from the 80s.

Warmsignal

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 01:15:23 pm »
I think part of that is Sonic was Sega's mascot. :) With Nintendo staring out with Mario front and center and Sega bringing Sonic on board after the fact they had to heavily advertise and put him out there.

He was their (very effective) Mario killer.

Other than the titles already mentioned what are some of these lesser known Genesis killer apps you speak of?

I'm not trolling. I have 3 Genesis consoles, 2 game gears and over 80 games for the Genesis.

None (other than Sonic series and Streets of Rage) really stand out to me.

Many here keep talking about the awesomeness of the game library. So I'm not trying to argue that.

I really just want to know what I'm missing.

I think there are plenty, and you even own some of them sir. Let's see, Rocket Knight Adventures, Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer, Toejam & Earl, Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, Castle and World of Illusion, Alisia Dragoon, Phantasy Star II/III/IV, Castlevania Bloodlines, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Golden Axe... these are all games that immediately come to mind when I think of the Genesis, and none of those titles are really obscure, or anything. So if none of it stands out to you....

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:01:35 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »
@ctracy87

Too true - the dual analogue controller is now the norm.

UGLY????? How dare you?

Bask in the glory of it all!
That is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

gf78

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »
I cant think of one thing Sony brought to the video game industry. Not one new invention or innovation. They just took existing things and sold them better than the competitors. Good for them. I am curious if anyone can name anything they contributed to further gaming.

Back on topic: SNES wins in being the ugliest console made for North America. Mine even turned yellow over the years. I'm not sure if it is because of the plastic they used or if it was because I used it as a urinal when I was playing long sessions on my Genesis.

1.  First console to use dual-analog controls.
2.  First console with an end-user programmable system & tools (Net Yaroze)
3.  First console to utilize the storage capacity of DVD.
4.  First console to utilize the storage capacity of Blu-Ray discs. 
5.  First home console to utilize VR (coming this year!)
6.  Ushered in the era of 3D polygon graphics (Saturn sucked and was built around 2D sprites)
7.  Moved gaming from being considered "a kid's toy" to being an acceptable pastime for adults.
8.  First console to sell over 100 million units.
9.  PS2 is best selling console of all time with over 150 million units sold.
10.  Exclusive home to some of the most important games in history (Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid)
11.  Knocked Nintendo down a peg or two, relegating them to second place.
12.  Damaged Sega so badly, they went software-only.

Honestly, you can say that all game makers copied and iterated on what other did before them.  It's the nature of the beast.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:03 pm »

The cargo pants are ugly. I assume that is what you were referring to in the picture.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »
Really number one is the only innovation.

Net Yaroze was just a development kit that was released to the public. DVD games had already been released before Playstation2 and it is just an incremental jump from CD for more storage on a media disc. Blu-Ray is just more storage capacity - not really an innovation either. VR is a technology that has been used before Sony looked in to it for their system. The rest of the is just accomplishments not really innovation for the industry.

Innovations in my mind are things that changed how we played videogames:

1. Nintendo = D-Pad
2. Microsoft = achievements
3. Sega = Haptic Feedback
4. GameLine = online gaming although in a primitive format
5. Sony = dual analogue controller
6. Nyko Hip Clip for the Game Boy = helped us to know which gamers to avoid if they wore one of these.

6.  Ushered in the era of 3D polygon graphics (Saturn sucked and was built around 2D sprites)
7.  Moved gaming from being considered "a kid's toy" to being an acceptable pastime for adults.
10.  Exclusive home to some of the most important games in history (Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid)

Honestly, you can say that all game makers copied and iterated on what other did before them.  It's the nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:45:10 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:41 pm »

The cargo pants are ugly. I assume that is what you were referring to in the picture.

Now I get the vacuum cleaner reference. I didn't know what that was behind it.

IMO, Genny model one kind of looks like a waffle maker, CD model two kind of looks like a trash can, and 32x is a deformed mushroom or cyclops. But Genny model two by itself, looks cooler than SNES model 1 or 2.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 02:35:35 pm »

Nah, I dig the cargo pants.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 02:49:40 pm »

You can tell those pants are owned by one sexy studious Genesis owner. Those pants can do what Jeansdon't. Makes me think there could be more Sega add ons hiding in them. 

P.S. I'm not sure this thread feels safe anymore for me.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:01:42 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 03:42:49 pm »

You can tell those pants are owned by one sexy studious Genesis owner. Those pants can do what Jeansdon't. Makes me think there could be more Sega add ons hiding in them. 

P.S. I'm not sure this thread feels safe anymore for me.

Oh don't get me wrong, Cargo pants are cool, but jeans are better.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 03:49:12 pm »
Cargo pants are easier to get around in, very versatile with those large pouches, can have camouflage for strategic missions. Jeans have been the standby forever so people get complacent and just grab them from their closet without really thinking of all the benefits they are missing if they switched to cargo pants.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:25 pm »
loved both systems,snes was better but have much love for genesis and shinning force series.nintendo had no strategy rpgs at the time.at least not that i know of.

maximo310

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 07:14:15 pm »
loved both systems,snes was better but have much love for genesis and shinning force series.nintendo had no strategy rpgs at the time.at least not that i know of.
I think koei made a few nobunga's ambition games that got localized, most strategy rpgs did not get localized to the west at the time. So we missed out on Fire Emblem 3,4,and 5, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure Hunter G, Front Mission, and some other ones as well.

telly

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 09:26:06 pm »

Also don't forget! :) (unless I'm mistaken):

First consoles to include an option for a hard drive
First consoles to feature software updates
First console to directly bring portable games onto their home consoles without the need for additional hardware.
Championed making own games and recordings in house and personal computer use with the Linux and PSX (In addition to Net Yaroze)
Championed backwards compatibility with the PS2 not really seen since the 7800. Again, no need for additional hardware other than a PS1 memory card. All out of the box.

To comment on the general argument, I find this SNES-Genesis argument to be so fascinating. I never had either, and I'm sure that both consoles have their own various great games, but because I didn't grow up with either console I don't have any nostalgic affiliation with one over the other. I want to get into both, but I seriously have no opinion on which is better. I just played my very first Genesis game the other week: Fire Shark. :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:31:06 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:34 pm »
^ XBox is the first to have a hard-drive, and the first to have game updates via XBox Live (not counting PC on both, of course).