Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24622 times)

gf78

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »
^ XBox is the first to have a hard-drive, and the first to have game updates via XBox Live (not counting PC on both, of course).

Nope, the first PS2 HDD was released in July 2001 in Japan, before the Xbox was even launched. I'll certainly admit that it's only a difference of a few months, but it's there!

I had only heard about the software updates, so I could totally be wrong about which one was first. I couldn't find the release information online. I'm also not counting PC either haha  :)

I remembered it coming out for Final Fantasy Online, which was a few years down the road. I'm not in Japan, so I had no idea they did it years earlier.

Yeah....just another idea Microsoft stole from Sony.   :P

On a serious note, the Japanese PS2 HDD was actually an external drive that connected through a short cable to the back of the PS2 whereas the US and PAL versions fit inside an internal bay on the PS2.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 01:17:06 pm »
SNES actually has an inferior processor to the Genesis just because of how slow they clocked it. SNES had to make up for it by dumping as much video and audio to separate processors. This is why most Genesis titles feel smoother and have less scrolling issues (parallax) and games like Sonic are possible. The limitations of the colors and layers on a Genesis hinders the graphics greatly. SNES also had their own DSP chips (Mode 7 and Super FX) and Capcom had the C4 chip built in games to handle the processing power the main unit lacked. They needed these chips to keep up with the Genesis. This is why you see extreme slowdown in Final Fight and Gradius

As far as the controller. The Genesis did not ship originally with 6 buttons, but the Genesis 6 button controller is so much more enjoyable to use for games requiring it compared to the SNES stock controller. My hand cramps thinking about it and I can't tell you how many shoulder buttons are cracked and jacked for my SNES.

Game library is your own choice. The Genesis titles were made for the big boys, and the SNES titles were at the kid's table. It is ok if you like the kid's table at Thanksgiving.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:16 pm »
SNES actually has an inferior processor to the Genesis just because of how slow they clocked it. SNES had to make up for it by dumping as much video and audio to separate processors. This is why most Genesis titles feel smoother and have less scrolling issues (parallax) and games like Sonic are possible. The limitations of the colors and layers on a Genesis hinders the graphics greatly. SNES also had their own DSP chips (Mode 7 and Super FX) and Capcom had the C4 chip built in games to handle the processing power the main unit lacked. They needed these chips to keep up with the Genesis. This is why you see extreme slowdown in Final Fight and Gradius

As far as the controller. The Genesis did not ship originally with 6 buttons, but the Genesis 6 button controller is so much more enjoyable to use for games requiring it compared to the SNES stock controller. My hand cramps thinking about it and I can't tell you how many shoulder buttons are cracked and jacked for my SNES.

Game library is your own choice. The Genesis titles were made for the big boys, and the SNES titles were at the kid's table. It is ok if you like the kid's table at Thanksgiving.
Yup, because Barney's Hide and Seek is totes a big boy game.

Actually... yeah... that looks pretty adult content to me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:29:04 pm by ctracy87 »

telly

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:41 pm »
I remembered it coming out for Final Fantasy Online, which was a few years down the road. I'm not in Japan, so I had no idea they did it years earlier.

It came out much later in the US, in 2004. That's the same year FF XI was released, so that makes a lot of sense. The HDD was used a lot more in Japan than in the US in general; most of the US games that used it were sports games and SOCOM.

Yup, because Barney's Hide and Seek is totes a big boy game.

Actually... yeah... that looks pretty adult content to me.

Don't forget Crystal's Pony Tale for all the bronies out there! That's a man's game :D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:35:12 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
The sounds effects slightly for snes however for the stage music etc I'll give the win to sega way closer to the arcade and it sounds better than the cheap version on the snes wich isn't bad but it has that snes vibe to it.

Also The sega version has the original intro with a man punching someone in the face wich was removed in the snes version.

You do realize that there was one version of Street Fighter II on the Genesis (Championship Edition) compared to three versions on the SNES (SFII, SFII Turbo, Super SSFII Turbo)?  The SNES versions were all better sellers than the Genesis version and are widely considered to be superior.

Also, the original intro you are fond of with two generic dudes punching each other was altered on the Genesis from the arcade version where blood was removed.  So the Genesis version didn't even feature the same intro, and it's a crappy intro at that.  It's literally two generic dudebros throwing punches and has absolutely nothing to do with the characters or story of the game.

Seriously Are you really that smart?

Guess not, do some research, the genesis has street fighter champion edition and super street fighter II wich I own both.

Street fighter champion edition in snes is street fighter II turbo, still with the sega leaving more battle mode options compared to the snes version.

However that so called extra game Street fighter II on snes is just street fighter turbo with way less options and 4 less characters pretty much in playable aspect a waste since it could have been done with turbo only.

Also another mistake on your part on the snes It's super street fighter II, not street fighter II turbo just saying.

Also the cut scene in the sega version is still pretty nice aside from it being nerfed in matter of blood and that a white guy was actually punching a black guy wich was really cruel at the time aside from that it is pretty much the same.

I admit the original from the arcades and on ps1 upwards consoles is better but it still is an awesome intro scene the best in the street fighter series aside from it being nerfed on the genesis. If you do not like that intro than your no street fighter fan since that intro is a true classic, all the other street fighter intro's are rather boring, this one is pure goodness of that time period with the humour of the time. Two dudes beating eachother up It's classic.

Street fighter games with story? seriously nobody give a damm. The king of fighter has a better story line than street fighter anways.

Also regarding controllers, were talking about nowadays not back in the day when controllers were expensive as ****. If your a serious genesis/megadrive player You'll get yourself an arcade and or 6 button pad controller. Controllers are not really the issue here especially lose ones. As a megadrive fan myself I have 2 arcade sticks in the box with manuals etc and 2 6 button wireless padds controllers.

So what you'll lose 20-25 dollars on an arcade stick? who cares It's not like your going broke or something for a one time purchase.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:26:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »

I wouldn't say that it needed those extra chips to keep up with the Genesis because by most accounts, SNES games look and sound better than Genesis games.  You also can't say that the SNES processor was inferior because Nintendo chose to clock it at a lower speed.

As for the controller, optional controllers with six face buttons were available for the SNES as well.  That's a moot point.  The point is that the stock Genesis controller lacked three buttons.  Four if you count the select button which many SNES games utilized for different functions.  I win.

Your comment about Genesis being for the big boys?  You forgot the sarcasm tag.  Preference varies, but the SNES had a huge library of more adult-oriented titles than Genesis.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2016, 02:38:45 pm »

Guess not, do some research, the genesis has street fighter champion edition and super street fighter II wich I own both.

Street fighter champion edition in snes is street fighter II turbo, still with the sega leaving more battle mode options compared to the snes version.

However that so called extra game Street fighter II on snes is just street fighter turbo with way less options and 4 less characters pretty much in playable aspect a waste since it could have been done with turbo only.

Also another mistake on your part on the snes It's super street fighter II, not street fighter II turbo just saying.

Also the cut scene in the sega version is still pretty nice aside from it being nerfed in matter of blood and that a white guy was actually punching a black guy wich was really cruel at the time aside from that it is pretty much the same.

I admit the original from the arcades and on ps1 upwards consoles is better but it still is an awesome intro scene the best in the street fighter series aside from it being nerfed on the genesis. If you do not like that intro than your no street fighter fan since that intro is a true classic, all the other street fighter intro's are rather boring, this one is pure goodness of that time period with the humour of the time. Two dudes beating eachother up It's classic.

Street fighter games with story? seriously nobody give a damm. The king of fighter has a better story line than street fighter anways.

Also regarding controllers, were talking about nowadays not back in the day when controllers were expensive as ****. If your a serious genesis/megadrive player You'll get yourself an arcade and or 6 button pad controller. Controllers are not really the issue here especially lose ones. As a megadrive fan myself I have 2 arcade sticks in the box with manuals etc and 2 6 button wireless padds controllers.

So what you'll lose 20-25 dollars on an arcade stick? who cares It's not like your going broke or something for a one time purchase.

Have you ever seen the movie One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest?  Just wondering.

While I may have been wrong on the number of entries released of Street Fighter per system, you are arguing semantics.  Does it really matter?  SNES had more releases.

You say "who cares" about the storyline in Street Fighter, yet talk about how great a crappy cutscene with what today would be labeled a hate-crime is and how it makes one version better?  Yeah.  Sure.

Since this is a comparison of the Genesis and SNES, it makes sense that we compare the systems in their heyday.  Sure you can buy a six button controller on the cheap these days.  You can also find a ton of Genesis units at yard sales, recycling centers and Goodwill stores for under ten bucks while a SNES still commands upwards of $80.  What's your point?  I found an original Genesis in a field where somebody threw it years ago judging by the fading.  I can show pics to prove it.  Never found a SNES chucked to the wayside like that.

You seem to be taking this thread entirely too seriously.  It's ok to prefer Genesis to SNES.  Some people prefer a Pintos to Ferraris.   :P

BTW....just checked the local game store.  You are right, I am wrong.  There are two versions of SF on the Genesis.  They have about 50 of them in the $5 and under bargain bin complete in box.  Cart only SNES versions are $25 and up.   ;)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:32 pm »

Genesis did have a pretty good CPU. I admit better than the SNES. But it had to because it had no special graphics processors and a severely limited color palette.

All the speed in the world could not help FMV running on the Genesis with its limited color palette.

The SNES offered a color palette 5 times larger (and much brighter) and made up for its slow processor by off loading most of the heavy lifting (graphics) to dedicated hardware. Things like scaling, rotation, and transparency were all done by specialized hardware on the SNES. The Genesis on the other hand had to either fake it. Or try to brute force it with all the extra cpu it had.

At the time with low-res crts faking transparency was no big deal. But now with high resolution non-interlaced displays the Genesis' cheats are not aging as well as the SNES.

Places where they faked transparency using dithering and "every other frame" rendering are obvious. For example Sonic's shield.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:01:47 pm by dashv »

gf78

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »
Genesis did have a pretty good CPU. I admit better than the SNES. But it had to because it had no special graphics processors and a severely limited color palette.

All the speed in the world could not help FMV running on the Genesis with its limited color palette.

The SNES offered a color palette 5 times larger (and much brighter) and made up for its slow processor by off loading most of the heavy lifting (graphics) to dedicated hardware. Things like scaling, rotation, and transparency were all done by specialized hardware on the SNES. The Genesis on the other hand had to either fake it. Or try to brute force it with all the extra cpu it had.

At the time with low red crts faking transparency was no big deal. But now with high resolution non-interlaced displays the Genesis' cheats are not aging as well as the SNES.

Places where they faked transparency using dithering and "every other frame) rendering are obvious. For example Sonic's shield.

SUCK THAT GENESIS!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »
With Genesis, there was a whole lot more good games getting released. However, with SNES, it seemed a few masterpieces really outshined that steady stream of good games Sega was giving us.

sworddude

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:42 pm »

Have you ever seen the movie One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest?  Just wondering.

While I may have been wrong on the number of entries released of Street Fighter per system, you are arguing semantics.  Does it really matter?  SNES had more releases.

You say "who cares" about the storyline in Street Fighter, yet talk about how great a crappy cutscene with what today would be labeled a hate-crime is and how it makes one version better?  Yeah.  Sure.

Since this is a comparison of the Genesis and SNES, it makes sense that we compare the systems in their heyday.  Sure you can buy a six button controller on the cheap these days.  You can also find a ton of Genesis units at yard sales, recycling centers and Goodwill stores for under ten bucks while a SNES still commands upwards of $80.  What's your point?  I found an original Genesis in a field where somebody threw it years ago judging by the fading.  I can show pics to prove it.  Never found a SNES chucked to the wayside like that.

You seem to be taking this thread entirely too seriously.  It's ok to prefer Genesis to SNES.  Some people prefer a Pintos to Ferraris.   :P

BTW....just checked the local game store.  You are right, I am wrong.  There are two versions of SF on the Genesis.  They have about 50 of them in the $5 and under bargain bin complete in box.  Cart only SNES versions are $25 and up.   ;)

me? look at your self with those comments. I'm just telling the fact besides a cut scene is not about story especially back in the day when it was just so that people could brawl it out agains each other. That cut scene is a true classic, nobody cares about the story line when playing street fighter.

Snes had more releases for street fighter but we both know that street fighter II is a street fighter turbo with 4 less characters and less battle modes than turbo otherwise the same **** game. Sega started at turbo since there is no use in producing an enferior game with less options than it already should have from the very beginning.

Also If your game store has 50 complete in box copies of street fighter for the genesis for 5 $ I would happily buy them all since they go for way more.

I'm sorry for you that you are so butthurt
that sega is better in some ways.  It is thanks to many people like you that nintendo is so overpriced nowadays. I don't care since I've managed to snagg some great sega games for nothing or bargain prices (my entire collection) while they would go for more since way less people care about sega.

I like nintendo I'm a mario fan but the genesis/megadrive is better than the snes. Sega just gives the better arcade feel.

I'll give you your win for the nes vs the master system though if that helps you sleep at night  8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:07:11 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »
I'm not willing to turn a small village into a glass parking lot over street fighter.

Even with the internet it's hard to follow the pedigree of the slew of releases. I don't personally own every single street fighter game. So that's my bad for going on my small personal sample set and Internet research.

I think I'm gonna leave the thread now.

The tone is getting far too confrontational and much of the stuff I'm saying is getting taken way out of context.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »
So Sega got SFII later than SNES? ...fail to see how that's better.

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2016, 03:09:29 pm »

What?  All of the versions of Street Fighter 2 are different.

It goes in order Street Fighter II(SNES), Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (Genesis),  Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) [Notice it doesn't actually have "SUPER" like you claim], Super Street Fighter II (SNES and Genesis), and finally Super Street Fighter II Turbo (3DO).  I won't go past that into the collections and HD remix.

Liking or disliking an intro video, which has nothing to do with the characters or anything, does not equate to being a "true" fan.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
This thread has become a little too serious perhaps. My comments that were not actual facts were just made in jest (kid's table). I actually could care less which console is better as long as we all know that the PCE was better than the SNES too. :p
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01