Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24643 times)

sworddude

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

Seriously Are you really that smart?

Guess not, do some research, the genesis has street fighter champion edition and super street fighter II wich I own both.

Street fighter champion edition in snes is street fighter II turbo, still with the sega leaving more battle mode options compared to the snes version.

However that so called extra game Street fighter II on snes is just street fighter turbo with way less options and 4 less characters pretty much in playable aspect a waste since it could have been done with turbo only.

Also another mistake on your part on the snes It's super street fighter II, not street fighter II turbo just saying.

Also the cut scene in the sega version is still pretty nice aside from it being nerfed in matter of blood and that a white guy was actually punching a black guy wich was really cruel at the time aside from that it is pretty much the same.

I admit the original from the arcades and on ps1 upwards consoles is better but it still is an awesome intro scene the best in the street fighter series aside from it being nerfed on the genesis. If you do not like that intro than your no street fighter fan since that intro is a true classic, all the other street fighter intro's are rather boring, this one is pure goodness of that time period with the humour of the time. Two dudes beating eachother up It's classic.

Street fighter games with story? seriously nobody give a damm. The king of fighter has a better story line than street fighter anways.

Also regarding controllers, were talking about nowadays not back in the day when controllers were expensive as ****. If your a serious genesis/megadrive player You'll get yourself an arcade and or 6 button pad controller. Controllers are not really the issue here especially lose ones. As a megadrive fan myself I have 2 arcade sticks in the box with manuals etc and 2 6 button wireless padds controllers.

So what you'll lose 20-25 dollars on an arcade stick? who cares It's not like your going broke or something for a one time purchase.
What?  All of the versions of Street Fighter 2 are different.

It goes in order Street Fighter II(SNES), Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (Genesis),  Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) [Notice it doesn't actually have "SUPER" like you claim], Super Street Fighter II (SNES and Genesis), and finally Super Street Fighter II Turbo (3DO).  I won't go past that into the collections and HD remix.

Liking or disliking an intro video, which has nothing to do with the characters or anything, does not equate to being a "true" fan.

actually meant to say this

Also another mistake on your part on the snes It's super street fighter II, not super street fighter II turbo just saying.

About the intro scene it is the classic street fighter intro. In my opinion the best intro for the street fighter series I might have exaggerate the true fan thing. Still though I do find the other intro's to be less entertaining.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »
me? look at your self with those comments. I'm just telling the fact besides a cut scene is not about story especially back in the day when it was just so that people could brawl it out agains each other. That cut scene is a true classic, nobody cares about the story line when playing street fighter.

Snes had more releases for street fighter but we both know that street fighter II is a street fighter turbo with 4 less characters and less battle modes than turbo otherwise the same **** game. Sega started at turbo since there is no use in producing an enferior game with less options than it already should have from the very beginning.

Also If your game store has 50 complete in box copies of street fighter for the genesis for 5 $ I would happily buy them all since they go for way more.

I'm sorry for you that you are so butthurt
that sega is better in some ways.  It is thanks to many people like you that nintendo is so overpriced nowadays. I don't care since I've managed to snagg some great sega games for nothing or bargain prices (my entire collection) while they would go for more since way less people care about sega.

I like nintendo I'm a mario fan but the genesis/megadrive is better than the snes. Sega just gives the better arcade feel.

I'll give you your win for the nes vs the master system though if that helps you sleep at night  8)

What's classic about a animated gif of a white guy punching a black guy, screen pans up and you see the Street Fighter logo on a building?  It's tripe.

The reason Sega's first version of Street Fighter II is turbo and it came out a year later than vanilla SFII on the SNES is because Sega had to grovel at the feet of Capcom and beg for a version. 

Your next few replies show you've completely lost your marbles.  It's because people like me that Nintendo stuff is so overpriced these days?  First, I don't collect Nintendo stuff earlier than the Gamecube at the moment.  Second, did it ever occur to you that NES and SNES stuff is rising because PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT THEM???  Same reason you have been able to snag your Sega stuff for "nothing or bargain prices" as you stated.  Because it's not in demand.  Because it's not as good.  Because Sega is a fart in the wind.  They don't even make very many games anymore and most of the ones the do make suck. 

I'm not losing any sleep.  I don't need to feel better.  And I'm surely not butthurt.  Take a look in the mirror to see the butthurt.  You are obviously angered by opinions that differ from yours.  ABOUT.  VIDEO.  GAMES.  Take a chill pill dude and realize that you are the one getting all "up in your feelings" because Genesis is inferior to SNES.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2016, 03:20:40 pm »
This thread has become a little too serious perhaps. My comments that were not actual facts were just made in jest (kid's table). I actually could care less which console is better as long as we all know that the PCE was better than the SNES too. :p

LOL...I think sworddudebro is gonna stroke out.  Some people just get too worked up about video games when they backed the wrong horse.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2016, 03:27:51 pm »
On a side note - this thread has made me so angry I smashed a dookie in my SNES instead of a cartridge and it booted up and looked just like Race Drivin. I then went to get my Race Drivin cartridge to compare the two. My dokie ended up having better controls and a faster frame rate.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

sworddude

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »
me? look at your self with those comments. I'm just telling the fact besides a cut scene is not about story especially back in the day when it was just so that people could brawl it out agains each other. That cut scene is a true classic, nobody cares about the story line when playing street fighter.

Snes had more releases for street fighter but we both know that street fighter II is a street fighter turbo with 4 less characters and less battle modes than turbo otherwise the same **** game. Sega started at turbo since there is no use in producing an enferior game with less options than it already should have from the very beginning.

Also If your game store has 50 complete in box copies of street fighter for the genesis for 5 $ I would happily buy them all since they go for way more.

that sega is better in some ways.  It is thanks to many people like you that nintendo is so overpriced nowadays. I don't care since I've managed to snagg some great sega games for nothing or bargain prices (my entire collection) while they would go for more since way less people care about sega.

I like nintendo I'm a mario fan but the genesis/megadrive is better than the snes. Sega just gives the better arcade feel.

I'll give you your win for the nes vs the master system though if that helps you sleep at night  8)

What's classic about a animated gif of a white guy punching a black guy, screen pans up and you see the Street Fighter logo on a building?  It's tripe.

The reason Sega's first version of Street Fighter II is turbo and it came out a year later than vanilla SFII on the SNES is because Sega had to grovel at the feet of Capcom and beg for a version. 

Your next few replies show you've completely lost your marbles.  It's because people like me that Nintendo stuff is so overpriced these days?  First, I don't collect Nintendo stuff earlier than the Gamecube at the moment.  Second, did it ever occur to you that NES and SNES stuff is rising because PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT THEM???  Same reason you have been able to snag your Sega stuff for "nothing or bargain prices" as you stated.  Because it's not in demand.  Because it's not as good.  Because Sega is a fart in the wind.  They don't even make very many games anymore and most of the ones the do make suck. 

I'm not losing any sleep.  I don't need to feel better.  And I'm surely not butthurt.  Take a look in the mirror to see the butthurt.  You are obviously angered by opinions that differ from yours.  ABOUT.  VIDEO.  GAMES.  Take a chill pill dude and realize that you are the one getting all "up in your feelings" because Genesis is inferior to SNES.

Talk to the Hand
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
On a side note - this thread has made me so angry I smashed a dookie in my SNES instead of a cartridge and it booted up and looked just like Race Drivin. I then went to get my Race Drivin cartridge to compare the two. My dokie ended up having better controls and a faster frame rate.

LOL!   :P

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2016, 03:36:56 pm »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:11 pm »
Why didn't either system have an official light-gun? I've always wondered that. The stupid bazookas they put out were wieldly and not fun to play with.

We did get the Lethal Enforcers gun, but that was only for Konami games.

I mean, how cool would T2: The Arcade Game have been if we were actually able to use a gun?!

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »
Why didn't either system have an official light-gun? I've always wondered that. The stupid bazookas they put out were wieldly and not fun to play with.

I mean, how cool would T2: The Arcade Game have been if we were actually able to use a gun?!

My guess is it had a lot to do with the timeframe of the consoles. Hand guns in kid's hands didn't sound like a good idea any more. And games in this time period were very much considered as toys more so than in the late 70's and early 80's.

kashell

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »
I haven't given my two cents yet. I'm team SNES for a variety of reasons.

1. Childhood memories; we got the SNES as a gift for Christmas
2. Better RPGs
3. The Mega Man X games
4. Kirby games
5. More comfy controller

That being said, I adore the Genesis. While the three-button to six-button controller is kind of a prelude to what would later be known as DLC, the Genesis had its fair share of neat games and I really liked its version of Samurai Showdown better.

that sega is better in some ways. 

Wow. You're a class act, aren't you?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »

My guess is it had a lot to do with the timeframe of the consoles. Hand guns in kid's hands didn't sound like a good idea any more. And games in this time period were very much considered as toys more so than in the late 70's and early 80's.

The NES and Master System had light-guns before it. And arcades had guns during the SNES and Genesis era. I don't think people were wary about kids playing with guns quite yet, Columbine hadn't happened yet.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »

The NES and Master System had light-guns before it. And arcades had guns during the SNES and Genesis era. I don't think people were wary about kids playing with guns quite yet, Columbine hadn't happened yet.

It was in 1989 that in the USA the government made it a law that all toy guns had to have orange tips. So kids having guns was very much on people's minds. It is even why the second iteration of the NES gun came in neon orange. The "16 bit" generation was also when Nintendo and Sega both had to appear before the US Senate to discuss video game violence. I think marketing a gun in this new generation wold have been bad form and both companies knew it.

I stand by my initial analysis, but I would love to hear if someone else has a different thought.

sin2beta

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:23 pm »

It was in 1989 that in the USA the government made it a law that all toy guns had to have orange tips. So kids having guns was very much on people's minds. It is even why the second iteration of the NES gun came in neon orange. The "16 bit" generation was also when Nintendo and Sega both had to appear before the US Senate to discuss video game violence. I think marketing a gun in this new generation wold have been bad form and both companies knew it.

I stand by my initial analysis, but I would love to hear if someone else has a different thought.

It is possible. It is hard, if not impossible, to find out when Nintendo and SEGA were aware of government interest in video game violence. From what I understand from many accounts, Nintendo and SEGA were both tipped off about the future hearings from a toy industry contact with a decent heads up before everything got started. I suspect this is 1993 (well into a year after the scopes were introduced)

Key Dates
Super Scope - February 92
SEGA Video Game Rating - June 93 (first sign that SEGA knew something. Would be implemented quickly.)
Congressional hearing - Dec 9 1993
Release of Doom - Dec 10 1993 (I love this date. One day after the hearing)

My suspicion is that the bazooka is just the next step from the light gun design and followed the current trend in the arcades the year before. It is the "super" version. You also had a move in the arcades to bigger guns such as the T2 arcade game in 91. In the early 90s bazookas and machine guns were cool in America. And light guns were marketed toward Americans. You also saw a return to traditional guns in consoles in the mid 90s when arcades mimicked those with point blank, virtue cop, etc.. I imagine it just followed the arcades.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »

I forgot about that. I remember when I was a kid hearing about the story that sparked that. Some kid in a car waived his toy gun at a cop and the kid got shot (or something like that) because the gun looked so real.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:02:58 pm by burningdoom »

gf78