Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24641 times)

kashell

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:15 am »
Oh, how I love the early 3D games, jagged polygons and all!

I think there's a certain charm to this look. I think this style of games is what made the N64 so special. I recently finished Castlevania 64 and, yes it was ugly, but it was a charming kind of ugly.

I actually found it more fun than Mario 64 or OoT.

gf78

« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

I think there's a certain charm to this look. I think this style of games is what made the N64 so special. I recently finished Castlevania 64 and, yes it was ugly, but it was a charming kind of ugly.

I think we can agree on that.  Mario 64 and OoT sucked IMO.  Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie was the shiznit.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

sworddude

« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:30 am »

I think we can agree on that.  Mario 64 and OoT sucked IMO.  Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie was the shiznit.

I don't think that is necesarrily the case.

My guess is that Oot and mario 64 are games that have been played way to many times. You would already know what to expect same formula etc etc It's to popular.

Mario 64 and zelda Ocarina of time are examples for other games these days while others are not wich is why games like banjo tooie etc give a new experience wich makes a game more fun to play even though the game is not better.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2016, 11:22:56 am »
Or folks just didn't find them fun in the first place.

gf78

« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2016, 11:56:47 am »

My guess is that Oot and mario 64 are games that have been played way to many times. You would already know what to expect same formula etc etc It's to popular.

Mario 64 and zelda Ocarina of time are examples for other games these days while others are not wich is why games like banjo tooie etc give a new experience wich makes a game more fun to play even though the game is not better.

Eh...I pretty much hated Mario 64 and Ocarina from day one.  Even stood in line at midnight, making myself late for my 11:30 start time to snag a gold, chromium-boxed copy of OoT.  I'm not going to say what anyone should or shouldn't like, but I couldn't stand either of those games.  Listening to that Navi saying "Listen!  Listen!  Listen!" was absolutely maddening, to the point where I wanted to stab scissors through my ears so I wouldn't have to hear her annoying ass.  They even cut out the classic Zelda music and put some goofy shit in it's place.  So I couldn't even enjoy just running around the world cutting grass looking for Rupies. 

Mario 64 was a big empty, blurry shell of a world with an atrocious camera and repeating the same few levels over and over to find a freakin' star.  Yeah, it sucked to me and I probably only invested an hour tops into it's crappy world.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

sworddude

« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:23 pm »

Eh...I pretty much hated Mario 64 and Ocarina from day one.  Even stood in line at midnight, making myself late for my 11:30 start time to snag a gold, chromium-boxed copy of OoT.  I'm not going to say what anyone should or shouldn't like, but I couldn't stand either of those games.  Listening to that Navi saying "Listen!  Listen!  Listen!" was absolutely maddening, to the point where I wanted to stab scissors through my ears so I wouldn't have to hear her annoying ass.  They even cut out the classic Zelda music and put some goofy shit in it's place.  So I couldn't even enjoy just running around the world cutting grass looking for Rupies. 

Mario 64 was a big empty, blurry shell of a world with an atrocious camera and repeating the same few levels over and over to find a freakin' star.  Yeah, it sucked to me and I probably only invested an hour tops into it's crappy world.

Mario 64 is a hard game for many.

I had many friends (all even the ones who game quitte allot) who played that game and never finished it 100% and they quit playing while I easily beat it 100%

same goes for mario sunshine and the 2 mario galaxy titles.

There are allot of lvl's even though you had to repeat the lvl's in different ways to find multiple stars.

There was allot to do and plenty of variety in my opinion if you managed to get a certain amount of stars wich in some cases was pretty hard to some since only hard stars were left to unlock new doors.

same goes for zelda ocarina of time, I love the zelda 3d games more than the older 2d games.

I you find mario 64 and zelda oot bad I won't argue just can't imagine banjo kazooie etc being better games wich I also have played and own.

gf78

« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »
Mario 64 is a hard game for many.

I had many friends (all even the ones who game quitte allot) who played that game and never finished it 100% and they quit playing while I easily beat it 100%

same goes for mario sunshine and the 2 mario galaxy titles.

There are allot of lvl's even though you had to repeat the lvl's in different ways to find multiple stars.

There was allot to do and plenty of variety in my opinion if you managed to get a certain amount of stars wich in some cases was pretty hard to some since only hard stars were left to unlock new doors.

same goes for zelda ocarina of time, I love the zelda 3d games more than the older 2d games.

I you find mario 64 and zelda oot bad I won't argue just can't imagine banjo kazooie etc being better games wich I also have played and own.

I think for me personally, the transition to 3D for classic 2D games just didn't work well.  Sonic, Mario and Zelda (even though it was quasi-3D, go-anywhere to begin with) didn't feel like Sonic, Mario and Zelda anymore.  Sonic and Mario in particular were games about precision jumping and timing.  With the clumsy transition to those early 3D games, I found myself constantly missing what/who I was trying to jump on and because of the lousy camera angles, takings hits running into enemies that the camera hadn't panned around fast enough for me to see. 

To this day, I don't play 3D Mario titles and I thought the Galaxy games were pretty blah as well.  Sunshine I had some fun with, mainly because the gameplay focus shifted from precision platforming to using the squirt pack to clean up the ink.  When Nintendo and Sega decided to make 2D entries in these franchises (New Super Mario Bros. and Sonic Anniversary respectively), I was all over it. 

Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie-even though they too were 3D platformers-was a new franchise with no previous entries to compare to.  They also had some fun gameplay mechanics such as Kazooie running fast with Banjo on his back , digging holes and using Kazooie to drift when you jump from a high area.  The game also had a special charm all it's own. 

gf78

« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »
But really back on topic, I think the main difference between SNES's longevity and viability over the Genesis is that most Genesis games are like phone games.  They are fun to play for a few minutes at a time, but not for any great length of time.  I just don't feel any urge to invest time into playing them.  Genesis is even worse off because it wasn't portable and the Nomad system ate through batteries like a fat man at a buffet. 

sworddude

« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
But really back on topic, I think the main difference between SNES's longevity and viability over the Genesis is that most Genesis games are like phone games.  They are fun to play for a few minutes at a time, but not for any great length of time.  I just don't feel any urge to invest time into playing them.  Genesis is even worse off because it wasn't portable and the Nomad system ate through batteries like a fat man at a buffet.

I agree with you on that for the sonic games. I disagree with other titles though.

However I do understand your point of view since you play the sega games on sega collections on for example the ps3 etc and not having the whole console with carts. Having a collection of allot of games on one disc after dying a few times makes it really easy to switch games. It also make it feel allot cheaper even though it being the same games.

Also for fun being able to play for a few minutes. It almost sounds like after you die a few times you quit playing.

Well sega games are usually way more challenging than snes games with some exceptions. There comes allot of learn and repeat seeing the same thing to play before you can go on if that's where you are going with a few minutes worth of playtime.

Haven't seen any snes collections, such collections make a system feel cheap and sega did that quitte allot if nintendo did the same thing you would kinda feel the same. Nintendo ofcourse releases all those games seperately for purchase.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:34:17 pm by sworddude »

maximo310

« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »

I agree with you on that for the sonic games. I disagree with other titles though.

However I do understand your point of view since you play the sega games on sega collections on for example the ps3 etc and not having the whole console with carts. Having a collection of allot of games on one disc after dying a few times makes it really easy to switch games. It also make it feel allot cheaper even though it being the same games.

Also for fun being able to play for a few minutes. It almost sounds like after you die a few times you quit playing.

Well sega games are usually way more challenging than snes games with some exceptions. There comes allot of learn and repeat seeing the same thing to play before you can go on if that's where you are going with a few minutes worth of playtime.

Haven't seen any snes collections, such collections make a system feel cheap and sega did that quitte allot if nintendo did the same thing you would kinda feel the same. Nintendo ofcourse releases all those games seperately for purchase.
The Sonic Genesis Collection on PS3 is only $10-20 for about 50 games including a few arcade perfect ports, so its a good starting point if you're unsure about spending money of genesis stuff. Maybe the games on the collection didn't grab his interest; everyone has different tastes. There are certain genesis games that I wouldn't pick up either if there was a better version was playable elsewhere, like Truxton.
Nintendo isn't one to do collections; the closest I've seen to that are the Kirby Dream Collection, most of the time they rather do remakes for money.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:44 pm »
The Sonic Genesis Collection on PS3 is only $10-20 for about 50 games including a few arcade perfect ports, so its a good starting point if you're unsure about spending money of genesis stuff. Maybe the games on the collection didn't grab his interest; everyone has different tastes. There are certain genesis games that I wouldn't pick up either if there was a better version was playable elsewhere, like Truxton.
Nintendo isn't one to do collections; the closest I've seen to that are the Kirby Dream Collection, most of the time they rather do remakes for money.

If someone doesn't find anything to hold their interest in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3 then Genesis is really not their deal.

Golden Axe Warrior for Master System. Golden Axe 3 (previously unreleased I think). Kid Chameleon. EVERY SINGLE PHANTASY STAR game. (including the first one from the Master System) and I'm sorry but Comix Zone was a really unique and ambitious (for it's time) take on the beat em up genre.

With the exception of sports there is at least one game from every genre on it.

Not putting anyone down. Just stating the obvious. Genesis really isn't their deal.

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2016, 10:48:10 am »
I vote SNES. Can't beat nostalgia.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2016, 10:59:56 am »

If someone doesn't find anything to hold their interest in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3 then Genesis is really not their deal.

Golden Axe Warrior for Master System. Golden Axe 3 (previously unreleased I think). Kid Chameleon. EVERY SINGLE PHANTASY STAR game. (including the first one from the Master System) and I'm sorry but Comix Zone was a really unique and ambitious (for it's time) take on the beat em up genre.

Not putting anyone down. Just stating the obvious. Genesis really isn't their deal.

I'd be quite surprised if a retro-gamer could not find one game they enjoyed on that collection. Like has been said: There's something for every genre represented there, except sports. And good representations in every genre. Even if you don't like the average arcade-releases from Sega, there's plenty of stuff like Phantasy Star, Sonic, and Comix Zone that are aimed directly at the console gamer on that collection.

sworddude

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2016, 11:09:16 am »

I'd be quite surprised if a retro-gamer could not find one game they enjoyed on that collection. Like has been said: There's something for every genre represented there, except sports. And good representations in every genre. Even if you don't like the average arcade-releases from Sega, there's plenty of stuff like Phantasy Star, Sonic, and Comix Zone that are aimed directly at the console gamer on that collection.

I fully agree with you on that, If you don't like any of those games It's hard to believe one likes retro games.

gf78

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2016, 10:38:10 am »

I enjoyed many of those games back in the Genesis' heyday.  They just haven't held up IMO.  They are no longer fun, whereas many SNES games are still a lot of fun to play.