Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24615 times)

sworddude

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2016, 10:10:10 am »
Doesn't Genesis do what Nintendont?

Yep.  Flickering sprites, music that sounds like it's in a tin can and ultimately forgettable titles that didn't stand the test of time.

Keep telling yourself that even though such important games as contra and castlevania on the sega are better than on nintendo.

Wich are console exclusive games and not downgraded arcade ports.

It's a pretty hard hit take but It's fact there are plenty more examples, to me such games are way more fun to play than games such as mario and or sonic games on the snes or sega.

Also there is a reason why the final fight games are so expensive these days. The console ports weren't that good and had plenty of faults as a result them games didn't sell well and the games became expensive.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:12:32 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:51 am »
^^^^^

Hmm...can someone please translate?

gf78

« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2016, 10:57:27 am »
Keep telling yourself that even though such important games as contra and castlevania on the sega are better than on nintendo.

It's a pretty hard hit take but It's fact there are plenty more examples, to me such games are way more fun to play than games such as mario and or sonic games on the snes or sega.

Also there is a reason why the final fight games are so expensive these days. The console ports weren't that good and had plenty of faults as a result them games didn't sell well and the games became expensive.

I'll tell you:  I like Super Castlevania IV and Dracula X better than Bloodlines.  They look better, they play better and I like them better.  Contra III on the SNES is better than Contra on the Genesis.  None of those SNES games are downgraded ports from the arcade.  They are console exclusive. 

Your entire argument is based around preference, and that's fine because this thread is asking who likes what better.  But come on, trying to downplay Mario like that series is irrelevant just makes you look desperate.

Arcade ports on the Genesis were generally no better nor worse than the SNES.  But the overwhelming majority here has shown they choose the SNES over the Genesis. 

Dude, just enjoy your bargain-bin system and games.  It's ok and there is nothing wrong with it.  Me, I forgot the Genesis and it's half-baked library of "not-as-good-as-SNES" games like a fart in the wind.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

sworddude

« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2016, 11:47:17 am »

I'll tell you:  I like Super Castlevania IV and Dracula X better than Bloodlines.  They look better, they play better and I like them better.  Contra III on the SNES is better than Contra on the Genesis.  None of those SNES games are downgraded ports from the arcade.  They are console exclusive. 

Your entire argument is based around preference, and that's fine because this thread is asking who likes what better.  But come on, trying to downplay Mario like that series is irrelevant just makes you look desperate.

Arcade ports on the Genesis were generally no better nor worse than the SNES.  But the overwhelming majority here has shown they choose the SNES over the Genesis. 

Dude, just enjoy your bargain-bin system and games.  It's ok and there is nothing wrong with it.  Me, I forgot the Genesis and it's half-baked library of "not-as-good-as-SNES" games like a fart in the wind.

First of all with downgraded arcade ports I mean game such as street fighter and mortal kombat.

Also about the mario games Desperate? I have to say that I played the 2d mario games to much so I prefer to play something else these days the 3d mario games are the way to go. Yoshi's island is nice still. Didn't downgrade 2d mario titles they are nice but not the best in my opinion also in my honest opinion I do prefer allot of other snes titles instead of playing mario world.

Also in many castlevania top 10 lists castlevania bloodlines stands higher than super castlevania IV. Castlevania dracula X is way worse than castlevania IV so we cannot take that game into consideration of being better than bloodlines. I do however also enjoy super castlevania IV and super contra since both are still excellent games some of the best of the snes system.

Also have you looked at the prices for for example the castlevania game?

Super castlevania IV cart only or cib is worth way less than a castlevania bloodlines even as a lose cart the sega game wins in value. If an equally uncommon game is better people pay more for it and sega has such games.

However people only talk about the mediocre games wich go for indeed pretty much nothing. You can say what you want but also I do not like trash games I only collect good games sega has indeed some trash but so does the snes. I do not collect filler titles it's not that easy to find sega deals but it is easier than for snes (but only thanks to the cardboard boxes since I am a cib collector) If only for lose carts it is pretty easy. If you want to find them good sega games It's gonna cost you.

Also for cib collectors snes might be expensive but for lose carts It's pretty much on par for them good games except for rare games however both systems have them rare titles wich are worth in the thousands. For sega I can name a few but I cannot name some for snes wich are worth over 1000 non sealed.

Contra III has horrible grapics with the top down view wich is 50% of the game and way less gameplay same goes for castlevania IV in only the gameplay department. These are the kinda games that matter to me.

Super castlevania IV vs castlevania bloodlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaozEmSDvLA

Contra III vs contra hard corps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn0jH4Q92AY

Also I cannot take your opinion to seriously. You do not seem to have to much knowledge on both consoles while I currently own both and actually play them games. I also enjoy both systems. You play them on game collections for a few minutes and had them consoles back in the day. You do not seem to know at all what you are talking about aside of giving some trash talk without a reason of why it is so bad.

It's really fun and all that you owned both consoles back in the day but to be fair most people with a snes had a copy of mario world and some random games. For sega the same thing sonic and some random games. Have other people to prove this most people only had a few games.

I really cannot take your answers to seriously so after saying this I will ignore your further BS reactions and say this topic goodbey.

gf78

« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2016, 12:11:21 pm »
Sworddude...I imagine you sitting there, reading my replies and gritting your teeth as you furiously hammer away at your keyboard to justify your reasoning for why you prefer the Genesis.  It's ok.

You are basically arguing with yourself.  Fine.  You like Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra for Genesis better.  You don't need to justify it to me or convince me they are better.  I'm perfectly happy for you that you like them. 

You bring up the fact that a copy of Bloodlines costs more than a copy of Super Castlevania IV, but consistently talk about how expensive SNES games are compared to Genesis games you got for "bargain cheap" prices.  What point are you trying to make?  Less people owned a Genesis than a SNES and less copies of Bloodlines was printed.  Look how much a copy of Dracula X for the SNES costs and then get back to me on "value" as you perceive it.  You talk about the value of uncommon games and guess what:  that's universal.  It's called "supply & demand. 

You try to criticize my knowledge of video games and act like I only play a few minutes of the games before making a judgement.  That is categorically false.  I played the crap out of games for both systems when they were the systems currently on the market.  You just can't get it through that thick skull that Genesis games in general for me have not stood the test of time.  They are no longer fun.  I don't enjoy them.  Whereas I still love many SNES games.  They are still fun.  They still retain that spark or "special sauce" that made them so charming in the first place.  So let me end this by saying:

SNES outsold Genesis worldwide
SNES games outsold Genesis games worldwide
SNES had better hardware
SNES had better games
SNES was a better value
SNES systems and games sell for significantly more on average than Genesis games
More people like the SNES than the Genesis

If you can't stand the heat - in this case, the fact that Genesis couldn't hold the SNES's jock - then get out of the proverbial kitchen.  Or, trade your entire Genesis collection in for a SNES and two games.  It's about equal value money-wise. 

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2016, 12:38:19 pm »
Do you really think we don't own these consoles, Sword? You realize that nearly all of us regulars here are retro gamers, right?

sworddude

« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
Do you really think we don't own these consoles, Sword? You realize that nearly all of us regulars here are retro gamers, right?

I'm only talking about the person above you who does not have the consoles anymore.

Not about anyone else just this guy

thecrypticodor

« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »

SNES systems and games sell for significantly more on average than Genesis games

That doesn't really mean anything just about everything Nintendo related generally goes for more on average than most other games and consoles. The Saturn's library is generally more expensive than the SNES's, does that mean the quality of it's titles are better?

I'll admit the SNES is all around the better system, but trashing the Genesis just comes off as fanboyism.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:49:26 pm by thecrypticodor »

kashell

« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »

I'm only talking about the person above you who does not have the consoles anymore.

I don't see how not owning the consoles anymore would make someone's opinion on it invalid, especially if they have plenty of experience with it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2016, 01:15:09 pm »
CHILDREN!  STOP! 
This type of fanboy-ism doesn't do anything but piss people off.  Sure, some folks like the Genesis better.  Some like the SNES better. 
Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.   This isn't a 4th grade playground.  Drop the heat. 

This forum is a place for folks to talk like adults.  I'm not saying that we have to hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah, but this argument makes both of you look silly.  This is 2016.  It's possible to for someone to think differently than you.

gf78

« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:55 pm »

Regardless of whether I own the console(s) any longer is irrelevant.  I still have access to the games whether through emulation or compilation discs.  The fact that I owned these consoles and games but don't any longer doesn't mean my opinions of them are any less valid.  I'm not talking about something I have zero experience with.  I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 hit the scene and I was a wee lad.  I haven't played them in years, but should I have no opinion on the 2600 and it's games because I don't game on it now?

You keep circling back and keep the topic going because you just cannot accept the fact of my opinions on the Genesis and it's library of games.  Again, I feel that most Genesis software was forgettable while a large portion of the SNES library are timeless classics.  It's like movies, music or anything else.  Some films stand the test of time, some don't.  For every Star Wars, there is a Red Planet.  For every Exorcist, there is a Leprechaun in da Hood.  That's my comparison of the SNES and Genesis library.  Get over it. 

For me, the majority of Genesis games are utterly forgettable.  The games I remember fondly are Disney's Aladdin, Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, Taz-Mania and the original Mortal Kombat. 

For the SNES, the games I remember fondly are Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Killer Instinct, Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, Illusion of Gaia, Super Castlevania IV, ActRaiser, Demon's Crest, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy II, III and Mystic Quest, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire I & II, Super R-Type, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG.

There were other games that I enjoyed in their prime on both systems, but these games above are the games that to this day I still would play.  And as you can clearly see, the Genesis comes up with the short end of the stick. 

This thread is about personal preference and you can't stand that people have an opinion different than yours.  And for some reason, you keep trying to argue with me and convince others that my opinions shouldn't count because I don't own a Genesis any longer.  And what I have done in response is to troll you.  Quite successfully I might add. 

You have tried to use every excuse under the sun why Genesis is better.  First you basically say that SNES is expensive because retards are out buying it up and you are glad because you got the bulk of your Genesis library "dirt cheap."  Then you try to say sales don't matter, but turn around and try to use current market values for a couple of Genesis games to justify that they are better than SNES games.  You say these Genesis games are expensive because they are rare or had low print runs.  But this runs in direct contradiction to your thoughts on the SNES's high prices when the bulk of the expensive titles for the SNES sold millions of copies. 

You keep arguing that the Genesis Contra and Castlevania games are "gooder" than the SNES alternatives and sound like a little kid in grade school saying "Well my daddy has a bigger house than your daddy."  You come off extremely childish.  I'm happy for you that you love Streets of Rage.  Great.  It very well might be better than the Final Fight games on the SNES.  I don't know.  You know why?  Because I grew tired of side-scrolling "beat-em ups" long ago and they are a dime a dozen.  It's not my favorite genre of games and probably falls close to the bottom for me.  Walking sideways, beating up the same person with a color palate swap and getting a pipe that breaks after cracking two skulls is dumb.  I just think it's dumb.  I can pick up any number of titles that are exactly the same.  At least the beat-em-up Maximum Carnage had superheroes and a cool, colored cartridge. 

So keep on arguing your point in circles sworddude and I'll keep trolling you.

gf78

« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »

That doesn't really mean anything just about everything Nintendo related generally goes for more on average than most other games and consoles. The Saturn's library is generally more expensive than the SNES's, does that mean the quality of it's titles are better?

I'll admit the SNES is all around the better system, but trashing the Genesis just comes off as fanboyism.

I'm fine with people liking the Genesis.  It's not like I hate it or anything.  But I get tired of this guy's constand "mine is gooder!" comments directed at me.  The thread topic is SNES vs Genesis.  Sworddude doesn't like my opinion and keeps trying to bait me.  I'm just letting him have his fun and getting digs in at the end.

gf78

« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2016, 01:51:29 pm »
CHILDREN!  STOP! 
This type of fanboy-ism doesn't do anything but piss people off.  Sure, some folks like the Genesis better.  Some like the SNES better. 
Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.   This isn't a 4th grade playground.  Drop the heat. 

This forum is a place for folks to talk like adults.  I'm not saying that we have to hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah, but this argument makes both of you look silly.  This is 2016.  It's possible to for someone to think differently than you.

Sorry turf...I've just been enjoying toying with my stalker.   :-[

sworddude

« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »
CHILDREN!  STOP! 

Sorry turf...I've just been enjoying toying with my stalker.   :-[

Who's stalking who.

I guess I am the guy who is setting up the bait since you respond to all my replies, even the ones wich were not directed to you and were just from the topic. You responded to them even though no quote of your post, I wasn't even talking to you nothing in the text pretty neutral and yet you responded with your endless BS discussions.

Even now with my last comment with nothing in the text at all

Your the stalker and if you reply to this message than that is prove.

Also note that I only responded to you replies because you trash talk allot, not to convince someone to prefer sega.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:44:31 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »