Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24661 times)

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »
Damn, things got hot in here.

baseycillings

« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2016, 06:20:26 pm »
BLAST PROCESSING

kashell

« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2016, 03:34:34 pm »
BLAST PROCESSING

Enough about my weekend.

HEY-O!

gf78

« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »
BLAST PROCESSING

Enough about my weekend.

HEY-O!

Lol!  Already?  The weekend just started!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
BLAST PROCESSING

Enough about my weekend.

HEY-O!

I like to get an early start.

Lol!  Already?  The weekend just started!

telly

« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2016, 08:11:16 pm »
Even though I'm a huge SNES fan, I enjoyed many games on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Beyond Oasis was great, but inferior to Zelda Link to the Past and especially Terranigma. The Golden Axe and Streets of Rage games blew away any SNES Beat-em-up. Phantasy Star IV was good, but nowhere near as good as Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger. The Sonic games are awesome, but Super Mario World is slightly better.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:03:23 pm by courtlyhades296 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2016, 09:49:55 pm »
The Golden Axe and Streets of Rage games blew away any SNES Beat-em-up.

Them's fightin words. 
Batman Returns?  Turtles in Time?  SNES wins in my book. 

« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:23 pm »
The Golden Axe and Streets of Rage games blew away any SNES Beat-em-up.

Them's fightin words. 
Batman Returns?  Turtles in Time?  SNES wins in my book.

Even though Beat-em-ups, Shumps and Sports are better on Genesis, SNES is still better overall. RPGs are my favorite genre, and that's why i prefer the US SNES over the US Genesis. Even in Europe, where most RPGs weren't released, SNES wins due to Nintendo properly optimizing games they published for the different TV standard, whereas SEGA didn't even attempt to do that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:54:23 pm by courtlyhades296 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »
^ Is that the general opinion over there, too? Because I thought Sega was king over there.

« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:20 pm »
^ Is that the general opinion over there, too? Because I thought Sega was king over there.
Yes, outside the UK it's the general opinion. In the UK, SEGA Mega Drive is still more loved than the SNES.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:02:26 pm by courtlyhades296 »

gf78

« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2016, 08:57:27 pm »
Genesis was a lot of fun. I had good times with it, but I don't feel the same any longer. The SNES and its big games are timeless. That's why you can get almost the entire Genesis Sega-made titles catalog on a single disc on nearly every platform for under $20. But people willingly fork over $5 or more a pop for virtual console SNES ports and many times over original MSRP for complete in box games.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2016, 12:49:38 am »
Looking back the SNES seemed to age better, but there was a lot going on in the Genesis era. A lot of people forget that Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and Warsong/Langrisser, all made their homes on the Genesis. The mutliplats were almost always better on the SNES, but exclusives tended to be on par between the Genesis and SNES. Each had their strong series even if they aren't as well known now.

Sega just sucks with marketing nowdays and let its great stable of series go to shit.

There was also MUSHA, Thunder Force and a lot of other great shumps that got a US release only on the Genesis. Also via converter granted but the genesis was one of the first consoles to offer backwards compatibility for the Sega Master System.

But all that aside. At the end of the Day the SNES games and system just held up better and are less painful to look at on a modern TV while most of Genesis greats lay forgotten, I guess in that sense after all these years the SNES won the 16 bit wars. War doesn't determine who is right..only who is left after all.

gf78

« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:20 am »
Looking back the SNES seemed to age better, but there was a lot going on in the Genesis era. A lot of people forget that Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and Warsong/Langrisser, all made their homes on the Genesis. The mutliplats were almost always better on the SNES, but exclusives tended to be on par between the Genesis and SNES. Each had their strong series even if they aren't as well known now.

Sega just sucks with marketing nowdays and let its great stable of series go to shit.

There was also MUSHA, Thunder Force and a lot of other great shumps that got a US release only on the Genesis. Also via converter granted but the genesis was one of the first consoles to offer backwards compatibility for the Sega Master System.

But all that aside. At the end of the Day the SNES games and system just held up better and are less painful to look at on a modern TV while most of Genesis greats lay forgotten, I guess in that sense after all these years the SNES won the 16 bit wars. War doesn't determine who is right..only who is left after all.

I think it goes beyond marketing that is Sega's problem.  They dissolved, integrated, trashed, etc. all of their development teams.  There was a time when Sega teams like AM2, WOW, Hitmaker, SmileBit and Overworks made some great software.  They shut all of that down.  The only shining spot in Sega's developer stable is Atlus which they acquired and to a lesser extent-the Creative Assembly who made Alien:  Isolation. 

Phantasy Star, Shining Force and other Sega-made RPG series were very good and in the 16-bit wars, fans who owned a Genesis had a good time with these games.  But if you surveyed gamers then and now, how many do you think would know what Phantasy Star or Shining Force was compared to those who would know what Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy was?

Even though some people here think that Sonic wasn't important and indeed-may have not been important to them at all personally-the Sonic games were what allowed Sega to compete with Nintendo so well.  Sonic was and still is Sega's "mascot" character and I guarantee the reason that many Genesis owners bought the console to begin with.

sworddude

« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
It is pretty logical that the sonic games are the reason that sega could compete with nintendo however I could say the same thing with nintendo.

What would become of the snes or nintendo overall without mario.

Still though on the lesser known titles the snes did better with marketing.

It is pretty logical that more people knew dragon warrior and final fantasy than shining force or phantasy star look at the results so many dragon quest and final fantasy games thanks to the big fanbase. If it was vice versa we would have seen more phantasy star and shining force games instead of the other way around. During that time not many people knew of these titles.

Hack even nowadays I'm pretty sure that allot of people don't know phantasy star or shining force.

The better titles on sega were marketed pretty bad not to many people know of them back than while nintendo did a decent job with their lesser known good titles.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:27:48 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!