Author Topic: Pre-orders ... what to do with them  (Read 1276 times)

soera

Pre-orders ... what to do with them
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:51:33 am »
I have recently realized that I have become quite obsessed with pre-orders. I guess its cause of the issues that has happened before with items like Amiibos and the silly bonuses that come with them even though A) I dont use/care for almost any of them and B) Most of them end up available in the future as it is.

Right now, I look at my list of pre-orders and wonder wtf on half of the games I have reserved. My back log is incredibly large and keeps getting bigger every week.

I guess what Im asking does anyone else do this thinking that the one game they dont pre-order is going to be that weird title that ends up lost in reseller hell?

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Pre-orders ... what to do with them
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:05:40 am »
I have recently realized that I have become quite obsessed with pre-orders. I guess its cause of the issues that has happened before with items like Amiibos and the silly bonuses that come with them even though A) I dont use/care for almost any of them and B) Most of them end up available in the future as it is.

Right now, I look at my list of pre-orders and wonder wtf on half of the games I have reserved. My back log is incredibly large and keeps getting bigger every week.

I guess what Im asking does anyone else do this thinking that the one game they dont pre-order is going to be that weird title that ends up lost in reseller hell?

You are not the only one.

Worse, I am losing track of what I have and haven't pre-ordered.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:38:21 am »

Absolutely.  I preordered Mega Man Legacy Collection 3DS immediately because I was concerned it would pre-sell out and I wouldn't have the chance to decide.  I cancelled that preorder.

I preordered the Borderlands Level 50 Swag Golden loot chest from Gamestop about a year ago, because I thought it might sell out like the other ones, of course it didn't.  Since roughly a month later I've been continually trying to cancel the preorder, but every time I contacted gamestop they told me they can't cancel it because it's preparing to ship... for 10 months it has been preparing to ship and they won't cancel it.  Sounds like it might actually ship soon because this time they said that they couldn't cancel it because it DID ship.  I can finally get that $99 back.  Thieving bastards.

I also preordered Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Party 10 because I was concerned they would sell out.

Bought Fallout Pip-boy edition because I thought it would sell out.

Resellers have ruined me since that second wave of amiibo.  The first wave was cake, if you preordered before release date, you were fine, nobody sold out until some jackhole decided to say that Marth was rare.  Nobody even cared about amiibo until some ass hat posted on slickdeals that Marth and Villager and WFT were going to be hella rare.  I personally got screwed out of my Marth Villager and WFT.  None of my Best buys got Marth in stock on release date due to a shipping issue, and they sold my Villager and WFT trainer to someone who claimed to be me, which is their fault for putting the names in big bold print on sticky notes on the boxes.  But I went to Target later that day and they had 4-10 of each of them.  They weren't a big deal until resellers started moving in.  Same thing applies to the world of nintendo figures.  They weren't big, then they were a big deal, and now they aren't a big deal again.

EDIT: I just wrote some pretty distasteful and offensive things about how I feel about resellers, and I realized that I probably shouldn't say these things, even though I stand behind how I feel, so I deleted what I typed.  But let's just say I don't like resellers.

karyann

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:32:21 am »
I started pre-ordering like crazy last year, in fear that I'd miss out on anything. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it. The money I shell out for everything brand new on day-one for games that I haven't played even once since I got them most likely outbalances the 1 or 2 games that have actually went up in price since their launch. I'm trying to get back on track with my life now that I realized that  ::)

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:09:03 am »
not so much from a scalper getting their hands on it standpoint but I always have about $60-100 in preorders at gamestop and will just shift the money around depending on the news that comes out for each pre-ordered game. and whenever a game comes out that I fully intend to buy at the time of purchase I will just shift whatever money from games I really don't want/don't want to spend full retail/can put another $5 down on a later date to fully purchase the game I really do want. also keep in mind that I only pick up probably 4-5 new games a year, the rest from resale shops/garage sales/friends/etc

Edit: that $60-100 is always in $5 increments.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:13:49 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:52:04 am »
I've bounced back & forth on the topic of preorders for years now.  On one hand, I use it as a tool to "pay over time" for my games.  Meaning, I pay $5 or $10 whenever I have it toward a game I want down the road and by the time it comes out, I just have to pick it up.  This also prevents me from just blowing that money elsewhere.

However, I always end up preordering a ton of games that honestly, I don't get around to playing for a very long time.  By the time I get around to them, I can just buy them for half price or less. 

Since my "off the chain" collecting over the last year has finally taken it's toll on me, I've slowed down dramatically.  I've sold off some games that I will never play and could find welcoming homes (thanks turf, desocietas & kashell!) where they will be appreciated.  And I've cancelled the huge list of games I had preordered, only keeping Final Fantasy Explorers, Uncharted 4 and Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 because I know the kids & I will play the crap out of them.  When I did my first round of cancellations, I used some of that money and picked up a two pack of Kotobukiya Snowtroopers that my local store had on sale.  When I cancelled Odin Sphere last night, I used that money to bring home a GameStop exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Vader bust.  And I gotta say, looking at that awesome bust is gonna be a helluva lot cooler than looking at that unused game.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:33:27 am »
I have that same love-HATE relationship with pre-orders that a lot of you do. I'd like to think I have a good handle on the games that I think will be hard to get but then I turn around and there's a Disgaea 5 SE or Devil's Third that straight up farts in my face; nevermind all of the fancy editions that NIS sells directly on their site that I never have the money for.  >:(

I've no idea what I do and don't have pre-ordered with GameStop at the moment. Checking them on the dashboard of their site as well as on the app is flaky. It will show me something I picked up a year ago but not something I reserved last week.  :P

kashell

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:13:05 pm »
If I know that Game Stop won't be carrying much of the game, I pre-order.

Hell, in the case of Growlanser: Heritage of War, the only way to get a copy is through a pre-order. Luckily, I don't buy many new games so I always know what's coming out and when.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:14:17 pm »
I pre-ordered Mighty No. 9, just because the Wii U is the Wii U and scalpers love to target and torture it's small user base. But it's the only game I've pre-ordered in maybe a year? I don't really like collector's edition sets, so it's just about whether the game itself might be scalped due to a low print.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:19 pm »
I pre-ordered Mighty No. 9, just because the Wii U is the Wii U and scalpers love to target and torture it's small user base. But it's the only game I've pre-ordered in maybe a year? I don't really like collector's edition sets, so it's just about whether the game itself might be scalped due to a low print.
I thought about this, preordered it, and then immediately cancelled my preorder.  I think the hype is hard enough, and Deep Silver is the sole distributor of the physical versions of the game, and they made that deal so they could make money, I highly doubt that Deep Silver won't publish enough copies.  I think it's going to be similar to Shovel Knight.  Price will drop $5 fairly quickly.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:01:39 pm »
I'm always worried that something I am mildly interested in will become lost in reseller hell, as you put it.  Bayonetta 2 and the first Xenoblade Chronicles, for instance - I regretted not buying those when they were first available.  But honestly, would I have preordered them back in the day, considering that I don't have a Wii or Wii U?  Probably not, especially since they were standard editions.

Which puts me in a predicament, of course. If I'm interested in a game, I'll preorder it if it has a CE. If not, I let it go and wait 'till it gets cheaper. Unfortunately, with games like Bayonetta and Xenoblade, it never really gets cheaper and ends up out of print.

I guess these are just my issues with collecting anyway. I hate that I throw so much at games that I will end up not playing for a few years, if ever, and I'm glad if the game does end up being hard to find later, but it is a little annoying to see the same item still available years later for half off (though this is good in case my copy ever goes missing).

Now that the boyfriend preorders a lot of my items for me, it's even harder for me to keep track of what I have preordered.  I'm thinking I'll be doing some cleaning this weekend and really get a sense of what my game collection looks like these days...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:12:22 pm »
I'm always worried that something I am mildly interested in will become lost in reseller hell, as you put it.  Bayonetta 2 and the first Xenoblade Chronicles, for instance - I regretted not buying those when they were first available.  But honestly, would I have preordered them back in the day, considering that I don't have a Wii or Wii U?  Probably not, especially since they were standard editions.

Which puts me in a predicament, of course. If I'm interested in a game, I'll preorder it if it has a CE. If not, I let it go and wait 'till it gets cheaper. Unfortunately, with games like Bayonetta and Xenoblade, it never really gets cheaper and ends up out of print.

I guess these are just my issues with collecting anyway. I hate that I throw so much at games that I will end up not playing for a few years, if ever, and I'm glad if the game does end up being hard to find later, but it is a little annoying to see the same item still available years later for half off (though this is good in case my copy ever goes missing).

Now that the boyfriend preorders a lot of my items for me, it's even harder for me to keep track of what I have preordered.  I'm thinking I'll be doing some cleaning this weekend and really get a sense of what my game collection looks like these days...

Wanna buy Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 1st print with manual and Xenoblade Chronicles X collector's edition?   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »

Wanna buy Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 1st print with manual and Xenoblade Chronicles X collector's edition?   ;)

Hahahaha  ;D  Surprisingly, I have all three of those now. It just took a while. I really lucked out where a friend sold me his sealed Xenoblade Chronicles 1st print for retail cost or trade or something, and I just used a gift card to get the X Collector's Edition a few days ago.

Also lucked out with Bayonetta 2 because my bf requested what we were told would be a disc-only copy from another Gamestop and they sent him a CIB copy  :o

Thanks though!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

indenton

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:29:27 pm »
There are just some games out there that you may legitimately not be able to find through normal means after launch.  I'm not interested in digital content as a 'pre-order bonus', if I know a franchise has great music, a soundtrack might tempt me.  I'm also only interested in physical pre-order incentives if I was going to buy the game anyway, I'm also very keen on good value.  If I'm honest, I'll say that Rodea was probably my first stumble with a Pre-order. 

I've also learnt that Fire Emblem is just a huge spring-trap of inflated prices, even those DAMN amiibo got caught in the jaws of the beast.  Let's see what happens with Fates and Genei Ibun Roku. 

gf78

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 01:31:12 pm »

Hahahaha  ;D  Surprisingly, I have all three of those now. It just took a while. I really lucked out where a friend sold me his sealed Xenoblade Chronicles 1st print for retail cost or trade or something, and I just used a gift card to get the X Collector's Edition a few days ago.

Also lucked out with Bayonetta 2 because my bf requested what we were told would be a disc-only copy from another Gamestop and they sent him a CIB copy  :o

Thanks though!

No problem!