Author Topic: Factory Sealed Game Gear  (Read 2076 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Factory Sealed Game Gear
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:55 am »
Just found a really good deal on a factory sealed Game Gear. I have been meaning to pick one up for awhile because I like all of my collection to be factory fresh when I get it. (That is my strange collecting quirk)

So my question is what are the odds this thing will actually power on when I open it up? (sorry for those of you who get freaked out that I am opening a sealed Game Gear) With all the issues that the Game Gears can have with capacitors and different things it makes me think it might be DOA.

It isn't a deal breaker either way because I already own a working unit. It was my wife's (she has been the only owner) and it works great without any refurbishment. Only issue is last year the speaker stopped working, but the headphone jack is still good. I've probably been a little wild with it over the years for it being nearly a 25 year old system. I take it on business trips with me and use it a lot.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

tpugmire

Re: Factory Sealed Game Gear
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »
Not likely. The caps are probably long dead by now. There are a few people here that do Game Gear recaps though (including me), so if they are bad, it's not that big of a deal.

Also, sounds like your other unit needs a recap too if the speaker went out, but headphones work still.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:45 pm »
I've been needing to recap my systems or have some one recap them.

I have like 6 broken game gears.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »
very low. my gf is the only owner of her gamegear and it completely stoped working about 2 years ago. and I bought another off a collector I know and he was also the only owner and has taken very good care of it but it has been dimming over the years and now is just like a Gameboy, gotta play it in just the right light or you cant see it. in other words how well its cared for makes zero difference (even if it is sealed)

There are a few people here that do Game Gear recaps though (including me), so if they are bad, it's not that big of a deal.

if I buy the cap replacements and send them both off to you do you think you could recap them for me? my gf has been hounding me about finding one that works. one of them is missing the security screw (tried to fix it once and lost it, whoops)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 02:12:16 pm »
So crazy that my wife's Game Gear has lasted so long in such good condition. Other than the speaker the system works like a champ. Screen is amazingly bright, powers on with no issues, etc...

I'll keep you guys updated if it comes out dead. I will either tackle the capacitors on my own if I can stay home long enough (too many business trips with a new job I just started), or I might reach out to someone who can handle it for me. I wonder if I would be able to take the tools I need on a flight to fix it. It would be a good project for a hotel room.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:24:08 pm »
I'd say pretty high chance of it working. If it is factory sealed, I'd wager it is a majesco re-release. These also seem to be in a good pocket between the bad capacitors of the early 90s and the bad capacitors of the early 00s. If you post a picture of the box, I can probably tell ya more.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

thecrypticodor

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:21:39 pm »
I'd say your chances depend on the model you have. The 2110G and Majesco units are pretty reliable. The 2110 are the most common and most prone to capacitor leakage.

The 2110K are by far the worst they have the same problems with leaky capacitors as well as the LCD panel loosing segments of the screen. I've worked on about five 2110K models over the years and could never get one of their LCD panels to work correctly. Most people who re-cap Game Gears will refuse to even work on those models

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:00:37 pm »
It is not the Majesco model. It is a model released around 1993 based on the packaging. I don't have the unit in hand yet.

My wife's unit (the one I have used these past years) is a 2110. Funny that it has lasted so long (other than the external speaker). I guess it is a ticking time bomb that has lasted for me. I have been playing that thing pretty regularly since around 2001.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:04:45 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 02:03:02 am »
As Pugmire says a GameGear recap isn't bad. But is pretty much guaranteed to be necessary with a non-majesco GG.

I've recapped 2 I bought off craigslist no problem.

The only uncertainty is how much and how long the caps have leaked.

If they've been let go too long the acids can eat away the traces on the board making recapping it more difficult or sometimes impossible.

The most important thing is expect it to take a couple of hours to completely recap your first GG. Don't rush it. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:22:27 am by dashv »

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:52:05 am »
very low. my gf is the only owner of her gamegear and it completely stoped working about 2 years ago. and I bought another off a collector I know and he was also the only owner and has taken very good care of it but it has been dimming over the years and now is just like a Gameboy, gotta play it in just the right light or you cant see it. in other words how well its cared for makes zero difference (even if it is sealed)

There are a few people here that do Game Gear recaps though (including me), so if they are bad, it's not that big of a deal.

if I buy the cap replacements and send them both off to you do you think you could recap them for me? my gf has been hounding me about finding one that works. one of them is missing the security screw (tried to fix it once and lost it, whoops)

Sure, send me a pm so we don't clog up the thread. I'd be happy to do it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:40 am »
It is not the Majesco model. It is a model released around 1993 based on the packaging. I don't have the unit in hand yet.

My wife's unit (the one I have used these past years) is a 2110. Funny that it has lasted so long (other than the external speaker). I guess it is a ticking time bomb that has lasted for me. I have been playing that thing pretty regularly since around 2001.

On yours, if I remember correctly, you likely only need one cap replaced. On the sound board, there is one cap for the headphone jack, and another for the speaker. It's best to do all of them while you're in there, but probably not necessary in this case.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »

On yours, if I remember correctly, you likely only need one cap replaced. On the sound board, there is one cap for the headphone jack, and another for the speaker. It's best to do all of them while you're in there, but probably not necessary in this case.

I'd sill recommend doing every single one of them. The caps will die under regular use.

tpugmire

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »
Well yeah, so would I, but if cost is an issue, it's cheaper to buy one cap than a whole set. ;)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 02:46:45 am »
Well yeah, so would I, but if cost is an issue, it's cheaper to buy one cap than a whole set. ;)

A complete cap kit is $10-15 shipped. :)

Small price to pay for another 20-30 years of operation. :)

thecrypticodor

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 07:53:31 pm »
Even if your Game Gear is still displaying a image a lot of the time the capacitors even though they haven't completely failed or shorted yet can have drifted enough out of tolerance that they still can effect your image and contrast. You will most likely notice a improvement in your image after recapping it.

You don't have to recap the power board as it's only the surface mount caps that are defective failure prone ones.
Here's a good place to order a cap kit if you or any one wants one. Make sure you buy the right one for your board version. http://console5.com/store/kits/console-cap-kits/sega/game-gear.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:55:15 pm by thecrypticodor »