Author Topic: ESRB-RP Images  (Read 1288 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

ESRB-RP Images
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:17:19 pm »
ATTN: Administrators

What is your protocol for dealing with posted NA game images with the ESRB-RP (rating pending) logo? To me they violate the rules, but I need administrative confirmation. Also, I would like all of you to be on board with this decision because, not so long ago, one of you rejected a correct image (and meeting all criteria) to replace an RP one. To avoid confusion, I'm just asking for a ruling and have no other expectations on this matter.*

Recently, I did an image audit for the NDS [NA] section and have a list of the ones that are either non-NA or RP. This was about 3% of the total, and of those, 64% were RP! I will post this list when you settle this matter. When I have time, I plan on doing this for other game types that I’m very familiar with.

On another subject, I would like to recommend that an optional-use field be added to the edit page that could be used by the item editor/creator to cite sources or reasons for certain data entries/changes. Of course this field would be invisible on the item’s display view. I hate having to use the Alt-Name field for this purpose, and because the actual comment is rejected (removed), it adds to my rejection tally. I don’t know, but you guys might keep track a user’s rejection count. Also, I believe a great number of users would appreciate such an addition. Speaking as a former (retired) programmer by profession, this change shouldn’t be difficult to implement.

By the way, does EVERY member of the VGCollect staff read every original post in this “Site Feedback” section? I often wonder about that.

Keep up the great work!

* sentence added after original posting
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:13:59 pm by SilverBow »

desocietas

Re: ESRB-RP Images
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »
I think sometimes people will put up a RP image prior to the game's release because they want to add the item record to the database. Going back and replacing those after release, however, may be forgotten or ignored until another user notices and switches it out.  As far as I can tell, the admin aren't super strict on what image is in there as long as it's not watermarked. Eventually someone comes by to edit it to something better.

The mods have enough to do without checking on every image in the database - I believe it's mainly other users going through and changing those things.  When I do an audit of my collection, I'll try to check for those things and submit what edits I can.  It's always a work in progress of course :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:26:34 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:39:12 pm »
I think sometimes people will put up a RP image prior to the game's release because they want to add the item record to the database. Going back and replacing those after release, however, may be forgotten or ignored until another user notices and switches it out.  As far as I can tell, the admin aren't super strict on what image is in there as long as it's not watermarked. Eventually someone comes by to edit it to something better.

The mods have enough to do without checking on every image in the database - I believe it's mainly other users going through and changing those things.  When I do an audit of my collection, I'll try to check for those things and submit what edits I can.  It's always a work in progress of course :)

You make all great points, but I never implied that the mods check for these images. That's our job.  :)

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »

You make all great points, but I never implied that the mods check for these images. That's our job.  :)

Ah, ok, I just got that impression since the post seemed to be directed to the admins.  My collection is in sore need of an audit... hopefully I'll be able to help out with item edits then.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 06:42:58 pm »
RP images should not be in the database long-term. The only reason is precisely what desocietas mentioned.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »
The only time RP can be on an entry:
1) If the game has not been released yet and no other images exist.
2) If the item is a demo.

Funny you mention DS. The DS probably has the most shovelware out of any console ever. Finding final covers for shovelware has been notoriously tricky to find.
Take this gem for example! I've spotted scans and photos of the final cover but they're either cropped weird or just really crappy quality.
I recently updated the Style Guide regarding RP images.

I agree. We definitely need a citation field so users can add notes to their submissions.

We do read site feedback and suggestions. Most of the time we might not respond unless there's a definite answer.  Admins frequently debate about suggestions and new features in the admin section but since there's only one active developer on the site it's unlikely your issues or suggestions will be acted upon immediately. Until there's something to report there's little sense in commenting.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:43:14 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »
Take this gem for example! I've spotted scans and photos of the final cover but they're either cropped weird or just really crappy quality.

The final cover have a ESRB E Rating ? If so Amazon have good cover for it. And for all info on the back cover (barcode, item number, ect...) we can take it from the picture of that ebay offer ;D (Sorry i just love hunting for cover :-[ )

I'll add one more vote toward a citation field, that's a great idea and it could be really useful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:01:25 pm by metshael »