Author Topic: Anyone else calculate estimated value vs purchase price for game collections?  (Read 2718 times)

Just thought I'd see if any one else is out there for calculating what a game collection is worth versus how much you paid for it?

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

Just thought I'd see if any one else is out there for calculating what a game collection is worth versus how much you paid for it?

I'm halfway in calculating, just recently finished noting all my games prices i bought them for. The question is in how you calculate what it is worth (per game). Which sources you use? Bare in mind, European guy talking here.

I assume you declare physical games which uses steam codes, origin activation codes and Uplay Ubisoft codes  null & void after you use the activation codes?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:54:33 pm by kam1kaz3nl77 »

Upcoming Pre-orders:

I'm halfway in calculating, just recently finished noting all my games prices i bought them for. The question is in how you calculate what it is worth (per game). Which sources you use? Bare in mind, European guy talking here.

I assume you declare physical games which uses steam codes, origin activation codes and Uplay Ubisoft codes  null & void after you use the activation codes?

That's the problem too.. sources for game value (especially older ones) will vary but should still be in same general ball park.

I don't deal with codes or anything. I only collect cartridge games. Just plug and play!

I guess ones you use a code for a game it becomes yours forever.. so there wouldn't be any need for a game value. Maybe (game value)=(purchase price)?

Warmsignal

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, exactly.

But if I averaged every price I paid in the past 8 years my best guess is something like $8 a game, and that may be a little generous. So having 1680-some, that would put me at almost $13,500 spent. :o What's it's worth? To me, $13,500. To someone else, I have no idea.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, exactly.

But if I averaged every price I paid in the past 8 years my best guess is something like $8 a game, and that may be a little generous. So having 1680-some, that would put me at almost $13,500 spent. :o What's it's worth? To me, $13,500. To someone else, I have no idea.

You will probably see a "value" in a range form. ie $4-$15. There would be a minimum value. But you raised a good point, if you paid $13 500 then it is worth $13 500 to you... I was getting at what the masses value items at or possibly appraisers.  :-\

desocietas

I've definitely considered doing a little audit of estiimated value with my collection. I have renters' insurance and want to make sure I'm covered should anything actually happen to all these things.  How much would it really cost to replace it all...?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

I've definitely considered doing a little audit of estiimated value with my collection. I have renters' insurance and want to make sure I'm covered should anything actually happen to all these things.  How much would it really cost to replace it all...?

Same here.

theflea

I honestly don't want to keep track. I don't look at my collection as an investment.
I know I get good deals on some games and others I buy brand new and they loose value.
Overall my spent vs worth is not important to me.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

aliensstudios

I never have, mostly because I don't care that much
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

devancowan

I haven't calculated my cost any time recently. About a year ago I wasn't huge into hunting for well priced games and would more or less buy titles the first week after release if they peaked my interest. This obviously lead to higher cost and even though I rarely buy brand new games these days, I would have to say my collection still cost me a pretty penny given it's small size. I can't even imagine some peoples cost on here who have 10x as much as me!

I've never really cared enough about what my games are worth collectively, i just collect and play for the fun of it. I think if you really only care about what your collection is worth..then you're collecting for the wrong reasons, i find it weird people collect games as if it was for their retirement fund down the road. ._.

dashv

PRO Supporter

I collect to play but to ignore the replacement value when fires, theft, flooding, earthquakes, etc claim entire collections is a choice some of us come to regret.

Think about where your collection is primarily located right now. Is it near water pipes, an air conditioning condenser, or a hot water heater, hopefully part of it is not in a basement.

If so you are more vulnerable to flooding than you think.

I lost my entire childhood comic book collection to a burst hot water tank in my upstairs closet!

They were all destroyed right there in their protective sleeves and boxes.

I've replaced a few. But couldn't afford to replace them all. Didn't realize how much I'd put into them until they were destroyed. Since I'd never catalogued or valued them before the incident insurance didn't cover them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:58:44 pm by dashv »

I really care, I've heard too many stories about collectors having their collection stolen, and my insurance, at least what they told me, is that they cover replacement cost, so whatever it will cost me to replace it at the time I file the claim.  But they require photos of the collection to show that I owned the items, so I try to take updated photos at least once a month. 

I have been working a good long while on an application that will price up my collection and update the pricing on a semi regular basis.

turf

PRO Supporter

I collect to play but to ignore the replacement value when fires, theft, flooding, earthquakes, etc claim entire collections is a choice some of us come to regret.

Think about where your collection is primarily located right now. Is it near water pipes, an air conditioning condenser, or a hot water heater, hopefully part of it is not in a basement.

If so you are more vulnerable to flooding than you think.

I lost my entire childhood comic book collection to a burst hot water tank in my upstairs closet!

They were all destroyed right there in their protective sleeves and boxes.

I've replaced a few. But couldn't afford to replace them all. Didn't realize how much I'd put into them until they were destroyed. Since I'd never cataloged or valued them before the incident insurance didn't cover them.

I care.  You'll care too when yours comes up missing.   :'(

Warmsignal

Evidently there is a tool on PriceCharting that allows you to put in as many games as you want in a lot calculator to add up the average sales prices, if you wanted to sit there and put them all in.

Turns out they block you from doing more than 10 at a time if you don't fork over some cash.

It seems for my GameCube games alone, the cost to replace them online would be $717. Crazy.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:49:48 pm by Warmsignal »