Author Topic: Shoot-’Em-Up Subgenre Confusion  (Read 739 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Shoot-’Em-Up Subgenre Confusion
« on: February 03, 2016, 07:48:24 pm »
There seems to be some confusion as to what defines a “Shoot-’Em-Up” game. I’m writing because I recently received another unwarranted edit rejection of this genre. In the last 10-15 years, new Shoot-’Em-Up games are created much less frequently than in previous years, and yet I see this subgenre incorrectly given to too many games. Here is an excellent explanation as to which games should be assigned to this subgenre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_%27em_up

Wikipedia also has in-depth explanations with historical context for all the video game genres/subgenres. These articles will be very helpful anytime someone feels uncertain about a genre. Users just interested in game history will find a lot in there too. Depending on what genre you’re searching for, you may have to start typing “video game” after the genre name before it shows in the drop-down list.

While you’re at it, I suggest checking out the definitions for “Adventure”, “Survival Horror”, “Simulation”, “Beat-‘Em-Up”, and “Platform”. I see a lot of misunderstanding about those also, ESPECIALLY “Adventure” and “Beat-‘Em-Up.”

Usually I just shake my head and give up, but I thought I would try a post this time. In a few days, I’m going to resubmit the rejected data and see what happens.  :(

desocietas

Re: Shoot-’Em-Up Subgenre Confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »
Which game were you suggesting was a shmup?

Adventure is definitely an overly broad label but there's not a lot we can do about it at the moment. It's been a topic discussed quite a bit in the past.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:25 am »
Yeah. There kind of needs to be some genre reform. For example third-person shooters are usually thrown into Action, but action is such a broad genre. -I mean what game doesn't have action? To me it's funny to have broad topics like Action but then we have very specific ones like Survival horror. If we're going to be that specific we should be like that across the board. So what I'm saying is maybe we could add a few extra genres into the mix?

Also what the heck is "Classic" genre? lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:24:06 am by badATchaos »

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13:16 am »
Also what the heck is "Classic" genre? lol
Pong and shit.

This is why I generally leave Genre alone, too many games have multiple genres, so which comes first?  Action/Adventure, FPS/RPG, Anything/RPG for that matter, etc.