Author Topic: Submitting a new item  (Read 1809 times)

Submitting a new item
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:05:27 pm »
No matter what Name and Platform are entered, the result of the "quick search" is always

No results...

no matter if the item already exists or not. Which means that the "quick search" is not working and thus the current process is bound to generate dupes, especially for large series with many variations like Assassin's Creed etc.

Hardly imaginable this went under the radar.

tripredacus

Re: Submitting a new item
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:02 pm »
I use quick search 99% of the time and have no problem finding things. Can you give some examples of search terms you are using that bring no results?

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
Why does it seem like recently vgcollect has had a lot of "newbie" members joining and pretty much trolling the forums?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »
He's talking about this.  I get it to work for most cases, but when you add in ':' or other characters, it gets confused.

http://vgcollect.com/item/45466

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
Why does it seem like recently vgcollect has had a lot of "newbie" members joining and pretty much trolling the forums?

I'm not taking these posts as trolls - I think they're legitimate questions for a new user, and it's good for the admins to know where people get confused and where to focus our efforts :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:54 pm »
He's talking about this.  I get it to work for most cases, but when you add in ':' or other characters, it gets confused.

Ah, yes, thanks for helping to clarify that, ctracy87.

The search isn't the best at the moment - I find it best to use the quick search at the top right to see if something is in the database.  Typing in partial titles work for me.  Like just typing in "Metal Gear" or something like that and hitting the enter key afterwards to get all results.  Unfortunately, typing in "Metal Gear legacy" won't net you anything currently  :-[  so my best suggestion would be to type in partial or at least parts of the title that go together (i.e. "metal gear legacy" won't find you anything but "legacy collection" will).

If you have a fairly common title, it should most likely already be in the database somewhere.

Sorry for the frustrations! We hope to bring improvements to you soon.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:56:32 pm »

I'm not taking these posts as trolls - I think they're legitimate questions for a new user, and it's good for the admins to know where people get confused and where to focus our efforts :)
That may be, but the questions are always worded poorly and said users are entirely too rude, you're right, trolling isn't the correct term.

It'd almost be nice if there were support tickets for users to ask questions to the mods (I suppose that isn't necessary if the users PM the mods).Better yet it'd be nice if there were a page with a list of every mod with a link to PM them so users could ask them questions easier. It seems like this could keep the forums from bloating with pointless posts.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:03:10 pm »
I don't consider this a useless post.

I think it's quite useful that he is pointing out that a feature isn't working properly.  Not just to let the admins know about it, but to let users know so that they might not create duplicate entries.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »

That may be, but the questions are always worded poorly and said users are entirely too rude, you're right, trolling isn't the correct term.

It'd almost be nice if there were support tickets for users to ask questions to the mods (I suppose that isn't necessary if the users PM the mods).Better yet it'd be nice if there were a page with a list of every mod with a link to PM them so users could ask them questions easier. It seems like this could keep the forums from bloating with pointless posts.

Not all user have English as their native language. I'm Dutch and i don't think you can speak or write that. So its logical that mistakes are made.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:30:27 pm »

Not all user have English as their native language. I'm Dutch and i don't think you can speak or write that. So its logical that mistakes are made.
Good point.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »

Thanks for the help, ctracy87. Been afk for quite a while.

To be more specific: It doesn't even matter if the title includes a colon or not.

Try the following:

Submit a new item > Title: "Assassin's Creed" > Platform: 'PlayStation 3 [NA]' > Submit

The outcome will still be "No results...". At least for me.

Edit: Oh, I overlooked that you mentioned other characters as well. So you're saying this could be due to the apostrophe? I'm gonna check that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:25:14 pm by entity »

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 02:24:55 pm »

Thanks for the help, ctracy87. Been afk for quite a while.

To be more specific: It doesn't even matter if the title includes a colon or not.

Try the following:

Submit a new item > Title: "Assassin's Creed" > Platform: 'PlayStation 3 [NA]' > Submit

The outcome will still be "No results...". At least for me.
That's why I said "or other characters"  this includes the ' ' ' symbol as well as all symbols.  Honestly, I should've said "symbols" instead of "characters", my bad.

Their search code doesn't account for symbols properly.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Beat me to it :)

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:40 pm »
Yeah, it seems that every single item I added either had no entry or some kind of special character in the title. Thanks for clarifying.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »

We actually do have a staff listing.  Although with all of the stickied posts in the Database Discussion area it can be a bit hard to find.  I think I might actually move it to the site feedback section instead.

In general though I don't mind users posting here.  While it may bloat the forums, posting in the forums allows multiple admins to chime in on a topic and serves as a reference for future members who have similar issues.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)