Author Topic: Retro Gaming Stores: City Location and Information  (Read 3168 times)

kashell

Retro Gaming Stores: City Location and Information
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a topic devoted to listing various game stores in everyone's area or a place they visited while on vacation.

Obviously, nearly every city has a Game Stop or a Play N' Trade, but this topic is devoted to smaller, lesser known stores that specialize in retro titles. If you're planning a vacation soon, check out this topic and see if there is a store in your destination that will have retro gaming goodness. If a city is missing a store, add it. Tell us about it, too. If the mods like this idea, feel free to sticky it.

I'll start.

Nashville, TN:

Yes, this city is known for its country music and hot chicken, but I have found some wonderful stores since I moved here.

Game Trader
1767 Gallatin Pike N,
Madison, TN 37115

Game Trader
133 James Luscinski Dr
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Both Game Traders are magnificent. They have a huge selection that starts from the NES and ends with the current generation. Prices can be a bit steep, but there has never been a time I left there feeling jilted. Both are highly recommended.

The Score
1312 Memorial Blvd Ste E
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

The Score is like a miniature version of Game Trader, but they offer a party room for hosting tournaments. There are fight nights, FPS nights, etc. usually held once a weekend. Their prices are cheaper than those at Game Trader, too. The selection is slightly smaller and the people running the show aren't as enthusiastic as I would like.

McKay's
636 Old Hickory Blvd
Nashville, TN 37209

Not only do they have comics, novels, text books, CDs and the like, but McKay's has a metric crap-ton of used video games and video game goods. The prices are cheap as hell. Just make sure to check everything before you buy.

The Great Escape
5400 Charlotte Ave
Nashville, TN 37209

The Great Escape
105 Gallatin Rd
Madison, TN 37115

These are lesser versions of McKay's in that they sell all sorts of used media, but their gaming selection is smaller. The one in Madison has some rude clerks, but the prices usually make the interactions worth it.

Cleveland, OH

Ah, my hometown. Sporting arenas aren't allowed to have glass bottles because of us. The Browns have never been to a Super Bowl, the Indians haven't won the World Series since the 1950s and the Cavs continue to fall short of a championship even with LeBron. Luckily, there are some great stores for video game shoppers.

The Exchange
http://theexchange.com/locations/

I can't tell you how many great finds I discovered at one of The Exchanges. If you're going to be in Cleveland (hell, in Ohio in general) check out The Exchange.

James Games & More
16510 Detroit Ave
Lakewood, OH 44107

James Games & More
21898 Lorain Rd
Fairview Park, OH 44126

A classic retro video game store. The titles run the gamut and the prices are about what you would expect. I recommend checking out the one in Fairview because the customer service is better. The one in Lakewood has more selection, but the guy who runs it is kind of an idiot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:24:35 am by kashell »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: Retro Gaming Stores: City Location and Information
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »
Southern California:

Game Play

Address: 5911 E Spring St, Long Beach, CA 90808
Phone:(562) 421-6880
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 03:58:11 pm »
California

Game Addiction
2185 North St.
Anderson, CA 96007
Independently-owned retro-game shop owned by a super-friendly guy that's very passionate about gaming and collecting. But it really does need more merchandise.

Video Exchange
908 Hartnell Ave
Redding, CA 96002
This place sells both retro & current games, as well as movies (VHS, DVD, & Blu-Ray); all used. And they have a small selection of over-priced used CDs. Lots of retro games here for the Nintendo, PlayStation, XBox, Atari 2600, and Sega systems. But only a little bit for rare systems. Great selection of movies.

(Neither of those on the linked list.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:50:35 pm by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:00:30 pm »
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=53244

I mentioned this in the general topic, but that link is blocked at work whereas this website is not.

If this has been done before then it can be deleted.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:12 pm »
Pickings are slim in my Missouri haunting grounds.  But here are a few.

A to Z Games and Computers
511 E. Main Street
Park Hills, MO  63601
(573) 431-0098

A to Z is chock full of old gaming goodness.  You can literally spend hours in there just digging through boxes of things they haven't even gotten to putting on the shelves.  Prices are fairly reasonable and the owners are willing to bargain with you and may even give you a discount for multiple items. 

Vintage Stock (or V-Stock)
25 South County Center Way
St. Louis, MO  63129
(314) 894-4784

This particular location is located in the South County mall and accessible from both the outside and inside.  They have an enormous selection of games, movies, music, books, comics cards, collectibles and toys.  It's like a little gaming paradise.  The store is fairly large with a good selection at reasonable "market-value" prices.  You won't find too many ratty games here with pubic hairs falling out of the cases (c'mon, you guys have all seen this at one point or another). 

Vintage Stock (or V-Stock)
2040 Chesterfield Mall
Chesterfield, MO  63017
(636) 536-0081

This location is-you guessed it-at Chesterfield Mall.  This V-Stock is frickin' huge.  It's two floors with an escalator that goes down to the lower floor.  Upstairs is dedicated to games, collectibles and figures.  Downstairs is comics, movies, music, card games and everything else.  Always something cool to find here.

Slackers CD's and Games
18 South County Center Way
St. Louis, MO  63129
(314) 845-5155

Located in the same South County Mall, Slackers is a smaller-scale store than V-Stock.  You can usually find harder-to-get games there, but most of the time I feel their prices are too high.  I've walked out of that store more times empty-handed than with merchandise in a bag.

Slackers Music, Movies and Games
291 Chesterfield Mall
Chesterfield, MO  63017
(636) 519-1060

Another smaller-scale store and just like the South County store, their prices seem too high for me.  They do have a pretty decent selection though and it's worth poking through.  Every once in a while, you will find a bargain there.

Trade N Games
1053 Gravois Road
Fenton, MO  63026
(636) 349-3113

This is a smaller-scale store with minimal clutter.  They have a pretty large selection of games to choose from for most systems dating back into the late 70's.  As expected, if looking for higher priced games check the locked display case or what's behind the counter.  I've gotten several games there over the years and they are always of good quality.  I've never felt screwed over by these folks.  This is also the only game store I know of that stocks those plastic game protectors to keep your boxed games minty.

Game Monster
515 Bailey Road
Crystal City, MO  63019
(636) 937-1800

A little shop that while driving by, blink & you'll miss it.  Inside, they have a decent selection of games and hardware, mostly from the NES era to current.  Their prices are reasonable and I've plucked a few gems there.  The staff are courteous and if you are the adventurous type, they have buckets-o-GBA games you can dig through.

Epic Retro & Repair
6197 Telegraph Road
St. Louis, MO  63129
(314) 293-2727

I've never known about this store before today and in fact, it may not have been open very long.  I found it on YP.com.  The lone review on the site says they have a great selection from Atari to current and give good trade values.  Definitely will be checking out this place next time I'm in the city.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:03 pm »
I've got names and cities off the top of my head.  I don't know addresses

Arkansas

Jonesboro
Game Xchange

Greenback Games

Mammoth Springs
Game Vault

Cabot
Stage 2 Games

North Little Rock
Game Xchange

Little Rock
Game Xchange  (2 of them)

Malvern
Gameroom Trading Post

Fayetteville
Tradewind Games

Tennessee

Memphis
Game Xchange

Games Plus

Replays
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:21:06 pm by turf »

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 10:25:44 pm »
Game Play
838 6th St
Clarkston, WA 99403

Small local game shop that sells everything from Atari to the newest releases.  They also sell tabletop game supplies and provide movie rentals.  Prices are about what you would expect from any retail game store.  Been stopping by here every once in a while since the year it opened and have had zero issues.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:11 pm »
Cybertron Games
Winter Park- 6732 Aloma Ave Winter Park, FL 32792
(321) 203-2555

Mascotte- 219 W Myers Blvd, Mascotte, FL 34753
(352) 429-8766

spac316

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:28 am »
Here are a couple stores in Western Washington, Kitsap County

BPlus Retro & more
304 N Callow Ave
Bremerton, WA 98312

Back in Time Gaming and Collectibles
4171 Wheaton Way
Bremerton, WA 98310

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:11:05 am »
Digital Press
387 Piaget Ave.
Clifton, NJ 07011

973-772-1111

That's the only place I know in northern NJ

kashell

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:11 am »
This is wonderful. I really like seeing all of this distribution. I know that I'm planning on visiting Saint Louis some day, so I'll be sure to have that list handy.

Cybertron Games
(321) 203-2555

(352) 429-8766

I'll be in Naples, FL tomorrow. Are these cities near it?

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
This is wonderful. I really like seeing all of this distribution. I know that I'm planning on visiting Saint Louis some day, so I'll be sure to have that list handy.

Cybertron Games
(321) 203-2555

(352) 429-8766

I'll be in Naples, FL tomorrow. Are these cities near it?

Nope. Winter Park is slightly north of Orlando, and Mascotte is near Ocala/Gainesville (even further north).

These places are a lot closer. I haven't been to any of these places, so I can't say anything about size or selection.
8-Bit Hall of Fame
http://www.8bithalloffame.com
(239) 357-0792
4836 Bonita Beach Road Unit 5 Bonita Springs, Florida 34134

http://www.8bithalloffame.com

There's a place in here called Mario World.
Flamingo Island Flea Market.
http://www.flamingoisland.com
11902 Bonita Beach Road
Bonita Springs, FL 34135
(239) 948-7799
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:33:41 am by scarface88fg »

kashell

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:17 am »
I kind of figured.

I have been Bing-ing for retro stores in Naples, but nothing is coming up. Everyone there is too busy being retired to care about retro video games.

rayne315

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:53 am »
If your ever in or near the Quad Cities their are 3 non-gamestop locations for you to check out that I know of and frequent:

The first one Is a place I HIGHLY recommend. They have a great selection of games (largest in the area, and all systems depending on trade ins) very reasonable prices (99 times out of 100 lower than ebay, only issue is no price difference between conditions and completeness but to me a game only needs to work), and of the 800-1000 games I have purchased through them I think I have only ran Into 5-10 that did not work all of which were replaced or refunded cash (compared to 10 in about 100 from local gamestops, or 7 of ~150 from the video games ETC) so they are a much safer purchase. plus staff that works their for the right reasons (love of games and movies, their 2 biggest sells).

Disc Replay
3824 44th Ave. Dr
Moline, IL 61265
http://discreplay.com/moline.php

-----------------------------------------------
This location Has a bigger focus on books, movies, cd's, vinyl, etc and a lot less focus on games. As such I do not go here too often but they still have a decent game list and it seams easier to find Higher profile Items here. but its still far between.

Disc Replay
North Park Mall 320 W. Kimberly Rd.
Davenport, IA 52806
http://discreplay.com/davenport.php

--------------------------------------------------
Expect to pay above e-bay if you come here but they always seem to have very rare games, if you cant find any on the floor ask, they usually hoard a lot in the back for people who ask. and again a friendly staff who actually cares about the games, but are required to sell, so expect them talking up games if you talk to them.

Video Games ETC
4233 Avenue of the Cities
Moline, IL 61265

----------------------------------------------------
Also a word of warning Avoid any pawn shops in the area. Terrible game collections with very bad disc care practices. more than half of all disc media I have bought at a pawn shop were beat up and not working. couple that with terrible return policies. Basically if you buy from them and the disc does not work you are shit out of luck.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:00:48 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully