Author Topic: Move "Submit New Item" button  (Read 1200 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Move "Submit New Item" button
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:07:28 pm »
Hey gang,

I have a theory as to why some new users might be adding duplicate submissions instead of items to their collection.  I realize now the the "Submit New Item" button is directly above your collection on the left side.... so the brain subconsciously thinks this means "add to your collection". 

Can we move this button somewhere else... perhaps switch the "Search Database" button with the "submit new item" button... that just makes more sense to me.

Just some food for thought.   ;D

- Retromangia

Re: Move "Submit New Item" button
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:35:41 pm »
i agree with this suggestion! +1

indenton

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:41:20 pm »
Its placement does seem to be causing trouble with new users, its misleading being placed directly above YOUR own collection list.  I understand that you Web Devs may have a lot on your plate right now, but this suggestion is worth considering since it does seem to be causing problems more frequently as of late. 

The way that it's placed right now is giving the wrong message, being associated with your own collection rather than the whole database, then the search facility is too finicky to catch people trying to add items already present in the database.  I've been studying Interface Design for a couple of years now, this one has me curious.  At the very least that association needs to be removed. 

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:19:11 pm »
i agree with this suggestion! +1

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 03:03:33 am »
Excellent suggestion!  :)

shfan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 04:13:29 am »
A good point well made  8)