Author Topic: Are You A Purist?  (Read 2599 times)

jlink4603

Are You A Purist?
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:30:40 am »
You may be thinking huh? Yeah. Purest. One who plays totally without cheats, codes or whatever. What games did you think you could never beat without them and did finally champion through, how long did it take you to accomplish?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:06:38 am by tripredacus »
Retro Weekender

Gaming-Where Reality and Fantasy Collide

Re: Are You A Purest?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:45:14 am »
"Purist", but generally I don't use cheats for games and I assume you mean like guides also to help you through.  I sometimes use guides, but never to just go all the way through a game, usually only when I get completely stuck or lost.  Banging my head against something for a few hours just isn't fun to progress, like I had to do it recently in Bloodborne.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:32:10 am »
I generally don't use cheats as I feel it cheapens the achievement of completing the game.  I do however use guides if I am doing a 100% run of a game and cannot find every single secret item.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:49:03 am »
My usual rule is that I don't use cheats until I beat something legitimately, but I break it on occasion when I think it's getting in the way of my fun. Unless you count something like sequence breaking, I've never found a game too difficult to beat by normal means.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

rryan60462

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:33 am »
definitely a purest at heart, but i will admit to using cheats ONLY for certain games. Those games being the GTA games and Battletoads. I only really like running around and causing mayham in GTA so i dont care about the story, so cheats didn't matter. And battletoads....well its battletoads so yea, gameshark was my friend after a few hours of frustrations haha.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:48:52 pm »
Depends, when I get bored, I like to use cheats or game sharks, pending on the game.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »
I don't cheat often, but when I do, the game likely cheated first.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »
I tend to use guides when i get lost, is that cheating? The only time i ACTUALLY cheat is when it comes to older Pokemon games, where i use action replay's to mess around or get legendaries that are no longer accessible legitimately

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 10:20:23 pm »
I don't cheat often, but when I do, the game likely cheated first.

I love this!

Cheat to win!  I don't have time to dump a bunch of time into games.  If I want to finish the story, I'll cheat like boss!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:43:53 pm »
Are save states cheating?

If so I am not a purest.

That said I try to play the game legit unless it's ripoff city.

I also use game genie and the game action replay (not the same thing as an action replay) on games like Battletoads.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:33 am »
Never I'll don't get any feeling of accomplishment from cheating, all it will do is just cheapen the whole experience for me. There's no winning without the possibility of losing.

Are save states cheating?

Not really if you're just using it to save your game and take a break. But if your constantly using it to redo bad moves and sections of the game than totally.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:17:48 am by thecrypticodor »

kashell

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
I haven't played a game that required cheat codes in years. But, I've absolutely used them. No shame. Hell, my enjoyment of the game probably increased.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I remembered I did use a Pro Action Replay on an RPG called Tsuginai for the PS2. The final boss was a maniac, so I used cheat codes to become super powerful in lieu of level grinding. It was so worth it, because that game was worth playing from start to finish.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:57:13 am »
I haven't played a game that required cheat codes in years. But, I've absolutely used them. No shame. Hell, my enjoyment of the game probably increased.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I remembered I did use a Pro Action Replay on an RPG called Tsuginai for the PS2. The final boss was a maniac, so I used cheat codes to become super powerful in lieu of level grinding. It was so worth it, because that game was worth playing from start to finish.
I can't recall for sure and I don't want to google it, but I had to use cheats for the final boss fight in Mega Man X Command Mission.  from what I recall, he had a metric shit ton of HP and would rotate between full heals and 1-hit KO moves.

kashell

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 09:06:40 am »
It's been a few years since I finished that game; but I don't recall Epsilon being that bad. However, I was using Cinnamon and her crazy powerful weapon so I could've have just been overpowered.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
It's been a few years since I finished that game; but I don't recall Epsilon being that bad. However, I was using Cinnamon and her crazy powerful weapon so I could've have just been overpowered.
I don't remember my team, I think I had X, Zero, Axel, and I can't remember the fourth.  I definitely know that my Cinnamon was weak.  I guess I was playing that fight all wrong.  I've been meaning to go back and play through that game again now that I've got a guide for it, who knows what all I missed out on through that first playthrough.

Idk, maybe I was being stupid and I was supposed to use a specific attack otherwise he was over powered.  I remember rotating between reviving and attacking when I could.