Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2024  (Read 3157 times)

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2024
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2024, 12:17:03 am »
I do believe that this entry for Assassins Creed Black Flag WiiU sould be deleted, there is no stand alone Mexico release of this game
https://vgcollect.com/item/218227
There is a USA release and a 3 language Canada/Mexico release

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:19:38 am by dhaabi »

dhaabi

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2024, 09:19:10 am »
I do believe that this entry for Assassins Creed Black Flag WiiU sould be deleted, there is no stand alone Mexico release of this game
https://vgcollect.com/item/218227
There is a USA release and a 3 language Canada/Mexico release

The difference between 218227 and 158288 is the Mexican import distribution label found on the former. It is not unusual that the only difference for region-specific items to be in the form of a label. From the TLDs and Import Labels post of the Advanced Style Guide:

Import Labels
Some countries will import a game from another region and just put an import or declaration label on the packaging. Sometimes this label is only on the outer shrinkwrap of sealed copies, sometimes it is on the box or case itself. Items like this can be added to the database using the appropriate TLD.

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2024, 12:53:06 pm »
Your edit to Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy was rejected.
Monday April 15th, 2024 at 10:34 AM
Field:    developer
New Value:    5745
Reason:    Information Already on File. Please see the VGCollect Style Guide or visit the Forums to clear up any listing questions.

No it isn't. Currently there is Atari in the system which is Warner owned Atari. There are 3x Ataris. in Early 1990s they have nothing to do with each other. Atari Corp. owned by Tramel, Atari Games former Namco owned and Atari Holding which is still owned by Warner.
Btw it would be nice to see which of the Mods discarded this.

It was me, to perhaps spur discussion about Devs list. As some cleanup work has been done in the list, but there are still duplicates.

Is Atari not Atari Corporation or the other way around? There are 5 options:
Atari
Atari Corporation
Atari Games
Atari Interactive
Atarisoft

Are all of these valid? Should Atari be removed and add Atari Holding instead?
Or should all of them be just changed to Atari?

Atari full name is "Atari Inc."
-> Ataris Videogame division (including Home Computers) was sold to to "Jack Tramiel" (in 1984 - yes the previous owner of Commodore) which was named Atari Corporation or Atari Corp.
-> Ataris Arcade division was sold to Namco (1985) which was named Atari Games. End of 1990s Warner bought them back was integrated into Midway. For some time they used the Name "Atari Games" but as a company was integrated into Midway. Midway as a company also ceased to exists and is part of Warner Bros Games by now.
--> Atari Games video game subsidiary was Tengen
-> Technically there was a Telecommunications division which was sold to an electronic company. But for the focus of this page irrelevant.
-> Atari Inc was renamed after all that to Atari Holding but never produced anything, was afaik only to hold rights and maybe some estates. It was integrated into parent company Warner in Mid 90s without producing anything as far as I know. For the purpose of this side Atari Inc died in 1985.
-> Atarisoft is a Label of Atari Inc up to 1984 to release Atari catalogue for different systems like Intellivision, C64, PC and so on. The label died with Jack Tramiel takeover of the video game division, which did not release games for other systems up until IBM PC release of Tempest 2000.
-> Atari Interactive is complicated. It is the current company promoting Atari. It sees itself as descendant of Atari Inc. For that a understanding of history in Atari Corp is required. Atari Corp was sold to/merged with a disk drive manufacturer JTS. Thus Atari Corp as a company ceased to exist. After bankruptcy of JTS all remains including the right of the name Atari was bought by Hasbro. Hasbro sold the video game division Hasbro Interactive (including rights to Atari) later to Infogrames. Infogrames renamed itself to Atari SA and created/renamed its USA division to Atari Interactive. After the bankruptcy of Atari/Infogrames - Atari Interactive was one of the few bits of the company that survived. After sold out most of the more modern franchise games the company still exists. In short no there are a different companies just with the rights on the logo and name of Atari.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:03:34 pm by smesgr »

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:28:50 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2024, 03:34:36 pm »
Singstar R&B - PS2

Ive created a new listing for R&B UK release because the existing R&B listing is another European country, Poland maybe?
(Judging by the case rear art photo)

My new listing
https://vgcollect.com/item/264388

Old listing
https://vgcollect.com/item/128732

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:44:09 pm by dhaabi »

dhaabi

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2024, 04:43:24 pm »
Singstar R&B - PS2

Ive created a new listing for R&B UK release because the existing R&B listing is another European country, Poland maybe?
(Judging by the case rear art photo)

Old listing
https://vgcollect.com/item/128732

128732 is the Eastern European release, specifically CZ, HU, PL, and SK. I've updated its name alongside its images since they were sideways.

tripredacus

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2024, 10:05:07 am »
Atari full name is "Atari Inc."
-> Ataris Videogame division (including Home Computers) was sold to to "Jack Tramiel" (in 1984 - yes the previous owner of Commodore) which was named Atari Corporation or Atari Corp.
-> Ataris Arcade division was sold to Namco (1985) which was named Atari Games. End of 1990s Warner bought them back was integrated into Midway. For some time they used the Name "Atari Games" but as a company was integrated into Midway. Midway as a company also ceased to exists and is part of Warner Bros Games by now.
--> Atari Games video game subsidiary was Tengen
-> Technically there was a Telecommunications division which was sold to an electronic company. But for the focus of this page irrelevant.
-> Atari Inc was renamed after all that to Atari Holding but never produced anything, was afaik only to hold rights and maybe some estates. It was integrated into parent company Warner in Mid 90s without producing anything as far as I know. For the purpose of this side Atari Inc died in 1985.
-> Atarisoft is a Label of Atari Inc up to 1984 to release Atari catalogue for different systems like Intellivision, C64, PC and so on. The label died with Jack Tramiel takeover of the video game division, which did not release games for other systems up until IBM PC release of Tempest 2000.
-> Atari Interactive is complicated. It is the current company promoting Atari. It sees itself as descendant of Atari Inc. For that a understanding of history in Atari Corp is required. Atari Corp was sold to/merged with a disk drive manufacturer JTS. Thus Atari Corp as a company ceased to exist. After bankruptcy of JTS all remains including the right of the name Atari was bought by Hasbro. Hasbro sold the video game division Hasbro Interactive (including rights to Atari) later to Infogrames. Infogrames renamed itself to Atari SA and created/renamed its USA division to Atari Interactive. After the bankruptcy of Atari/Infogrames - Atari Interactive was one of the few bits of the company that survived. After sold out most of the more modern franchise games the company still exists. In short no there are a different companies just with the rights on the logo and name of Atari.

The issue seems to be that there are multiple Atari companies that are legally distinct over the course of history.
1. Syzygy -> Atari Inc -> Atari Games -> Atari Holdings
2. Atari Corporation -> JTS -> Hasbro Interactive -> Infogrames Interactive -> Atari Interactive
3. GT Interactive -> Infogrames -> Atari Inc

Now, we don't add the legal type to companies, be it things like Inc, LLC, etc.
Atari Inc has been merged with Atari.
Even if we did decide to start using the legal types, I can't think of a good way to differentiate between the two different Atari Inc.
Then there is the situation where the existing entries in the database that should have Atari Corporation may have just Atari instead, and the large amount of entries that are probably going to have Atari set instead of Atari Interactive or Atari Games.

So what I am recommending next is that we merge down Atari Corporation into Atari as well, and add Atari Holdings (if you think there is a reason to add it) and keep Atari Interactive as is.

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2024, 11:33:50 am »
so vgcollect don't track different companies because they are hard to distinct. Got it.

Just from somebody with a bit of experience doing this. Atari is like one of the more known game companies out there with a difficult to track history. But there a lot of others smaller dev studios with wild renaming, merging and reusing history - I can't pick specific names now, my memory is fading it was a long time ago. But one of the newer instances is Microprose. Funny enough also part of Hasbro-Infogrames train.

tripredacus

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2024, 12:06:12 pm »
If we can find an easy way to distinct the companies then we can certainly do it. It isn't like Mobygames where they have a wiki-like design and they actually have pages for all these different versions of Atari (and everything else) that makes it easier to use as reference. And while anyone could just use Mobygames to reference it, we can't expect everyone to do that and I can tell you that 99.9% of our users don't know there even is a difference or don't care. And frankly we should want to be at or get to a point where we don't need to rely on an outside website to manage our information. And then the other issue is that other reference websites have conflicting information. So 1 Atari to rule them all is way easier as far as attributes on a game database goes.

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2024, 03:11:55 pm »
Hi,

I put this in the wrong platform so please delete.

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/264573

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:35:38 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2024, 05:18:56 pm »
Not sure what happened, but for some reason, the following entry was duplicated without artwork:

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/264591

Please delete.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:33:33 pm by dhaabi »

dhaabi

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2024, 05:33:07 pm »
Not sure what happened, but for some reason, the following entry was duplicated without artwork:

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/264591

In total just now, I believe there were six empty entries submitted recently that I've just removed. In the future, these entries should all be reported here so they're not overlooked by staff.

And, if you are routinely having problems with submitting new entries, ensure that file sizes aren't large as it's the main cause for this error, explained here. I generally submit images no larger than 700px.

dhaabi

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2024, 05:35:13 pm »
I put this in the wrong platform so please delete.

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/264573

In the future, don't submit a second entry when making a mistake in the submission process. Instead, submit an edit so that the correction may be approved.