Author Topic: Ebay buying rant...  (Read 3109 times)

Ebay buying rant...
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:11:24 am »
 I was really happy when I got a pretty good deal on a brand new and sealed super luigi wii u game. I paid $44 which i know seems high but prices are between $50-70 new and sealed. I got it today and to my shock I looked at the back of the game and their was a tear on the plastic near the top and upon further inspection their was price tag residue over three or four spots on the back (Which I tried to removed but it just smudged it instead hopefully i don't get in trouble for that.) and on top of that I found another scratch that almost is another rip. Should have been a red flag when he only showed the front of the game and not the back of the game. I emailed the guy right away and asked for a refund which he agreed as soon as I send it back to him. I just get sick of a lot of sellers not all sellers but I would say about 50% of sellers on ebay that hide the condition of an item. I was disappointed because now i'm probably gonna have to pay more for the game. I'm worried now because I bought the rare first edition of bayonetta from a different seller on ebay. Although the plastic seal on my bayonetta game looks just fine. I'll let you guys know how that turns out.

gf78

Re: Ebay buying rant...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:28:10 am »
Unfortunately and all too often, buying a new/sealed game on eBay (or anywhere for that matter) doesn't mean it is in perfect condition.  You can go to Walmart where they have a giant bin of new/sealed games and they all look like they've had their asses kicked because they are getting all jumbled around with the edges of one case jabbing into the "soft belly" of another. 

As a seller myself, when I have sold a new/sealed game I made sure to take several pictures and show any imperfections because I would want my new/sealed game to look pristine, so I treat others that way. 

But honestly, unless there is a specific reason you are looking for a sealed game, you are better off buying one that is "like-new" with lots of pictures and from a reputable seller.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

devancowan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
I actually haven't had any horrible experiences with sellers like that on Ebay. All you can really do to prevent getting screwed over like that is to make sure that they have ample amounts of pictures.

It irritates me when, like in your case, theres only 1 picture and its of the front of the game. I also don't tend to buy games that are over 40-50 dollars on ebay for this reason. It doesn't really bother me if theres some sticker residue on a 10 dollar ps2 game but I would be upset if I had paid 40+ and it stated "new".

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:51:26 am »
better than my first and only experience on Ebay. I bought a New Sealed copy of Shadow of the Colossus because at the time It was my absolute favorite game and I wanted a nice copy to put in a picture frame. Well I got it in and immediately noticed their was a price tag sticker on the game (one that was clearly aftermarket, maybe a pawn shop price tag). No big deal to me as im not to worried about sticker residue as I can usually remove it pretty easily. The problem with it was the price sticker was UNDER the plastic. needless to say I was pissed and called the guy out on it, got my money back, and reported him to Ebay.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:57:18 am »
I actually haven't had any horrible experiences with sellers like that on Ebay. All you can really do to prevent getting screwed over like that is to make sure that they have ample amounts of pictures.

It irritates me when, like in your case, theres only 1 picture and its of the front of the game. I also don't tend to buy games that are over 40-50 dollars on ebay for this reason. It doesn't really bother me if theres some sticker residue on a 10 dollar ps2 game but I would be upset if I had paid 40+ and it stated "new".

I think the sticker residue he spoke of was on the outer plastic wrap.

One of the biggest problems I have ran into on eBay when buying a new/sealed game is them being mailed in a padded mailer.  Pressure on the outside of the mailer as the package gets tossed about and has crap thrown on top of it causes damage to the flimsy plastic sleeve wrapped around the case and damage to the artwork underneath.  As game cases and the paper the cover art is printed on have gotten thinner and thinner, this has become a bigger and bigger problem.  For example, original PS2 games were pretty thick with cardstock art inserts.  You had to really be trying to abuse these cases to damage them.  So a standard, cheap 3M padded bubble mailer would 99% of the time ensure the game arrived safely.  Today, the plastic of modern game cases (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) are half as thick and in the case of Wii U cases, they have those giant hollow spots behind the artwork.  That alone is a recipe for disaster.  The art insert paper is so thin, you can literally take it out of the case, hold it between your hands and blow hard on it, causing wrinkles and maybe even tear it.  I kid you not.  So you throw these games in a padded mailer, 99% of the time they will experience some level of damage. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:40 am »
Used ebay twice, both bad experiences. Never again.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:21:38 am »

I think the sticker residue he spoke of was on the outer plastic wrap.

One of the biggest problems I have ran into on eBay when buying a new/sealed game is them being mailed in a padded mailer.  Pressure on the outside of the mailer as the package gets tossed about and has crap thrown on top of it causes damage to the flimsy plastic sleeve wrapped around the case and damage to the artwork underneath.  As game cases and the paper the cover art is printed on have gotten thinner and thinner, this has become a bigger and bigger problem.  For example, original PS2 games were pretty thick with cardstock art inserts.  You had to really be trying to abuse these cases to damage them.  So a standard, cheap 3M padded bubble mailer would 99% of the time ensure the game arrived safely.  Today, the plastic of modern game cases (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) are half as thick and in the case of Wii U cases, they have those giant hollow spots behind the artwork.  That alone is a recipe for disaster.  The art insert paper is so thin, you can literally take it out of the case, hold it between your hands and blow hard on it, causing wrinkles and maybe even tear it.  I kid you not.  So you throw these games in a padded mailer, 99% of the time they will experience some level of damage.

^ so true

Back in the day, I could take a fingernail to get under a corner of a sticker to prep removing it. Now, I'm much more cautious about doing that and will try to take the insert out prior. The inserts are so much thinner now and the plastic case flimsier, that even going to remove stickers can leaving an indent. Heck, holding the whole game wrong can cause some damage because of those holes in the cases.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:20 am »
^ so true

Back in the day, I could take a fingernail to get under a corner of a sticker to prep removing it. Now, I'm much more cautious about doing that and will try to take the insert out prior. The inserts are so much thinner now and the plastic case flimsier, that even going to remove stickers can leaving an indent. Heck, holding the whole game wrong can cause some damage because of those holes in the cases.

Absolutely the same here with stickers.  I take the insert out first and if there is residue over a hollow spot in the case, I slip a piece of cardboard in the insert spot because the plastic is so thin, you will actually stretch or tear it by putting pressure on it.   :o

gf78

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »
Used ebay twice, both bad experiences. Never again.

That sucks bad my friend.  On the flip-side, I've had well over 2000 transactions on eBay, both buying and selling.  I would say I've bought at least 1000 items that are part of my feedback and with maybe a half-dozen issues, it's all been good. 

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:28 pm »
^ so true

Absolutely the same here with stickers.  I take the insert out first and if there is residue over a hollow spot in the case, I slip a piece of cardboard in the insert spot because the plastic is so thin, you will actually stretch or tear it by putting pressure on it.   :o

Yes! I hate that, too! I'm glad you have that attention to detail... I always cringe when I see someone digging away at a sticker without taking some precautions.

How do folks deal with those circular seals over cardboard cases (like seals for collector's editions like Fire Emblem Fates or seals over console boxes)? Sometimes I'm tempted to just cut the seal where I can and leave the remainder on the box so as to not risk removing the artwork/ink. Other times, I risk the peel technique and it'll sometimes pay off.  I'm personally not crazy about having any stickers/adhesives on my boxes.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:54 pm »
How do folks deal with those circular seals over cardboard cases (like seals for collector's editions like Fire Emblem Fates or seals over console boxes)? Sometimes I'm tempted to just cut the seal where I can and leave the remainder on the box so as to not risk removing the artwork/ink. Other times, I risk the peel technique and it'll sometimes pay off.  I'm personally not crazy about having any stickers/adhesives on my boxes.

I don't risk damaging the box, so I just carefully cut through the middle with a knife and leave the sticker on. I don't like leaving them on either, but the clear ones aren't that bad.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

gf78

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »
Yes! I hate that, too! I'm glad you have that attention to detail... I always cringe when I see someone digging away at a sticker without taking some precautions.

It depends on the type of material the circular sticker is on and how old it is.  If it's our standard glossy coat cardboard box and it's a new item (not more than a couple of months after release), I cut the sticker and then carefully peel it away.  It usually works just fine without damaging the finish.  If it's a textured or metallic finish, I don't chance it.  It's almost a guarantee that you will screw up the surface of whatever the sticker is adhered to.  In those instances and in cases where it's an old sticker, I cut it to separate it, then carefully use a small pair of sharp scissors to trim it where it doesn't hang off the edges of the box.  It looks as nice as it possibly can and has the added benefit of not accumulating dust, lint, hair, etc.

I say hair because I have actually looked at used games at various stores and it looks like someone with an overgrown hedge downstairs used it for a bikini wax.   :o

Edit:  After typing that and thinking about past occurrences, I feel the need to go scrub my hands a couple dozen times or so. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:52:55 pm by gf78 »

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:12:26 pm »
I don't risk damaging the box, so I just carefully cut through the middle with a knife and leave the sticker on. I don't like leaving them on either, but the clear ones aren't that bad.

It depends on the type of material the circular sticker is on and how old it is.  If it's our standard glossy coat cardboard box and it's a new item (not more than a couple of months after release), I cut the sticker and then carefully peel it away.  It usually works just fine without damaging the finish.  If it's a textured or metallic finish, I don't chance it.  It's almost a guarantee that you will screw up the surface of whatever the sticker is adhered to.  In those instances and in cases where it's an old sticker, I cut it to separate it, then carefully use a small pair of sharp scissors to trim it where it doesn't hang off the edges of the box.  It looks as nice as it possibly can and has the added benefit of not accumulating dust, lint, hair, etc.

I say hair because I have actually looked at used games at various stores and it looks like someone with an overgrown hedge downstairs used it for a bikini wax.   :o

Edit:  After typing that and thinking about past occurrences, I feel the need to go scrub my hands a couple dozen times or so.

hahahhahaha

Yeah, sounds like folks go about it the same way I do :)   I hate seeing those tattered edges from an old sticker, so I'd do the same thing with trimming it down as much as I can. I don't care for the brittleness and possible yellowing that comes with those stickers (why oh why do they put those directly on the artwork), but I'd prefer that still over removing the artwork completely.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 06:01:51 pm »
Ive done quite a bit of dealing on Ebay.  I've had very few bad experiences not near enough to keep me from using the site. 

On a somewhat related note. Something that works well on tough paper stickers and sticker residue is good old WD 40.  Spray it on, let sit a few minutes then usually just wipe it off.  I shouldn't have to say it but I will anyway.  Remove contents of the case before applying.   ;)

As far as vinyl stickers with extremely aggressive adhesive and those irritating plastic and foil stickers.  I haven't really figured out a good way to remove those. 

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 08:51:15 pm »
Keep in mind that not everyone on eBay is a professional seller, or a game dealer, or someone who even knows anything about what you're talking about. Lots of people just list their games that have been lying around the house, sometimes rare games, sometimes sealed games too. Snap a photo with their phone and that's that. They don't realize they're appealing to a highly picky collector's market. Have you seen the ones who say something like - no instruction manual comes with it, but you don't need that to play the game!... Not everyone is a expert on this stuff.

I have some perfect condition sealed games, but I wouldn't think of listing them on eBay... sealed collecting is a whole other beast, something I def don't get into.

I've bought and sold on eBay many-a-time without much incident. Biggest issue is the way many choose to ship fragile, or otherwise expensive purchases. Bubble mailers do not cut it for Sega Saturn games, or even PS1 games if you want to be safe. I've had some occasional games show up and the booklet is way crusty and they didn't mention it. But, in most cases, I just cut my losses. When it's really expensive, I'll explain to them what happened and ask if they'd do small refund to curb the expense for being less than what I bargained for. But I wouldn't even bother sending it back.