Author Topic: Ebay buying rant...  (Read 3110 times)

Re: Ebay buying rant...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 05:10:22 am »
Don't get me started on Ebay.

For me 'Like New' is literally what it says on the tin; you take the shrink wrap off a game and it is 'Like New'. If there is any wear and tear; be that a crease in the manual or a scratch on the disk, then it is no longer 'Like New',  it is 'Very Good' at best. Yet people on Ebay don't get that. Amount of times I've been disappointed with condition.....

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:00:02 am »

For me 'Like New' is literally what it says on the tin; you take the shrink wrap off a game and it is 'Like New'. If there is any wear and tear; be that a crease in the manual or a scratch on the disk, then it is no longer 'Like New',  it is 'Very Good' at best. Yet people on Ebay don't get that. Amount of times I've been disappointed with condition.....

It's like new except, ya know, not. But still like new!

gf78

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:10 am »

Honestly though, your interpretation of "like-new" is a bit too strict.  An end-user like me, who buys and then sells a game on eBay has no control over the condition of a "new" game when I open it.  The fact of the matter is, manuals come with dings in them from the retaining tabs and on the right side where it bumps the little piece of plastic on the inner spine of the case.  These types of issues are beyond my control and should I take a hit on the game because of a manufacturing defect or normal wear & tear?

I agree on the scratches on the disc, sticker residue, dented artwork, etc.  Maybe I'm a bit too touchy on the subject because of my single neutral feedback from years ago.  Sold some douche a movie soundtrack, I think for Spider-Man.  He couldn't complain about the condition as I opened it, listened once and it remained on my CD shelf for over a year untouched.  So his bitch was that the "Sound quality isn't that good, shipping time was poor, not really worth it."  He paid Sunday, I shipped first class Monday and he had it Wednesday.  I sold it to him for $2.99 plus shipping which was $1.50 I believe.  The mailer and postage cost more than I charged him for shipping.  And the fucking prick left me a neutral feedback.  If I was anywhere close to him, I would have drove there and beat his snobby, rude bitch ass. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 03:15:54 pm »
It sounds like a few people here need to see the wonders of Goo Gone. If you've got sticker residue, splash a small amount on a cloth and wipe it away.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
It sounds like a few people here need to see the wonders of Goo Gone. If you've got sticker residue, splash a small amount on a cloth and wipe it away.

If anything, I've found it to be oily, so if you do use it, make sure to remove all other papers/inserts, etc.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shepard11

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:27 am »

If anything, I've found it to be oily, so if you do use it, make sure to remove all other papers/inserts, etc.

I use this(Goo Gone) on a lot of my games. I usually use a lightly damp wrap with Dawn afterwards to rid myself of any oily residue.

argyle

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »
Whenever I sell on Ebay I takes tons of photos and point out any minor issues I see. I usually get people saying that it was in better condition than they expected, and I'd rather get that than the opposite. I've also bought from Ebay quite a bit, and I typically only buy from people who have a ton of pictures of the item.  At least 9 times out of 10 I get what I expected condition-wise.

That said...it sounds like some of you are very, VERY picky - and this is coming from someone who considers himself pretty picky. ;) If sticker residue on the shrinkwrap is a deal-breaker for you, you should probably do all of your purchases in-person where you can examine the item yourself. You can't realistically expect the average seller to have the same quirks as you, odds are the person didn't even consider something like that worth mentioning.

Then again, I don't collect sealed. Seems pointless to me. I have a few sealed games, but I basically just haven't gotten around to opening them yet.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis