Author Topic: Man Lists 'Jaw-Dropping' 3,133-Piece Video Game Collection for $150K on eBay  (Read 2531 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

https://gma.yahoo.com/man-lists-jaw-dropping-3-133-piece-video-204308433--abc-news-house-and-home.html

A Massachusetts man has decided to part ways with his colossal video game collection that he started as a kid 27 years ago.

John, 30, who also goes by the username "mywholevideogamecollection" on eBay, has placed an assortment of 3,133 games on the e-commerce site for a whopping price tag of $150,000.

Mother of god

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAW-DROPPING-3-133-Video-Game-Collection-Nintendo-Sega-Turbo-Grafx-and-much-more-/322049920194
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Incredible looking collection, but 3000 games for 150k? That could buy a house lol Is his listing even close to worth that price even if most are in high quality condition?

*sigh* another pie in the sky collector trying to unload his collection for 5x what its worth. Nobody is going to buy it from him. hell even if he had it priced at a third of that I doubt it would sell.

*sigh* another pie in the sky collector trying to unload his collection for 5x what its worth. Nobody is going to buy it from him. hell even if he had it priced at a third of that I doubt it would sell.

Yeah, because who is the person who has 150k lying around for a collection?  Especially on Ebay? In sections maybe it would have a small chance, but it sounds like this wasn't the first time he's put it on Ebay.

soera

The pic with the TV is familiar.

theflea

hmmm maybe I could put my collection up on ebay for a insane amount and get everyone talking about it. lol
What do you guys think I should ask? lol  ::)

My friend did once put my collection up on a Craigslist in a far away state, he put many pictures and said make an offer. He did this just to see what people would offer. (no the collection was never really for sale no matter what offer he got) lol
He got a bunch of lowballer resellers of course and one guy who was a serious buyer til he looked through all I had and got back to him saying there's no fair offer he could give that he could afford. lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:27:20 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Never agree with these collection sales.

People think cause they have a large amount of games together, it somehow adds to the price.

Basically you should pick out the rare stuff and sell it on it's own and then sell everything else in bulk at €5/$5 a game.

However no one ever does that, it bugs me.

I don't see anything that just pops out as must have for me....

I recently sold my Virtual Boy and 3 games for about $100. I could have gotten $200 or more, but the poor little guy was starting to have issues with the graphics glitching so I let it slide for a bit less. I didn't play it and it took up unnecessary space in my storage closet.

I also sold off my 3 NES and dozen games, gun and 5 controllers for around $140. I hadn't tested any of them for the past 10 years, but they all did work before I boxed them up.

Anyway...while his collection certainly is impressive, he'd make a lot more selling them off in lots and not a large bulk. Most collectors aren't out to have what he has in it's entirety. I know my older brother - at one point - was on a mission for collecting NES games. He wouldn't be interested in anything else in the collection.

I know my younger brother really wanted the Virtual Boy I had, but with it starting to fail he passed on it. He may be interested in the Virtual Boy set, but nothing else.

This is like selling off a pre-built PC. Sure, you might find someone to buy it, but not for the price you want. You're better off piecing out the computer and you'll make more on it.

gf78

I looked at this collection and thought the price was ridiculous.  It equals out to $47.88 for each item.  Guaranteed, at least half of the games are common titles that go for $5 to $10 a piece.  Another thousand are probably in the $20-$40 range for more sought after titles.  That leaves about 500 games plus the systems in the list (this is just a rough estimate) that are worth an average of $100 each if complete in their boxes and rare.

Doing a bit of rudimentary math, on the high end that would put the value of this collection at approximately $100K on the highest of the high end.  More like $77K which is on the lower end of my rough figures. 

This dude is stupid. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

This is an average Saturday pick-up for Flea.

turf

PRO Supporter

LOOK AT ME!  LOOK WHAT I HAVE!!! 

It's just some dude trying to get attention.  It happens every now and then.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

We have an entire thread dedicated to that.

gf78

We have an entire thread dedicated to that.

I think that uh...this entire site where we catalog our vast collections kinda does that.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

hmmm maybe I could put my collection up on ebay for a insane amount and get everyone talking about it. lol
What do you guys think I should ask? lol  ::)

My friend did once put my collection up on a Craigslist in a far away state, he put many pictures and said make an offer. He did this just to see what people would offer. (no the collection was never really for sale no matter what offer he got) lol
He got a bunch of lowballer resellers of course and one guy who was a serious buyer til he looked through all I had and got back to him saying there's no fair offer he could give that he could afford. lol

well considering if your numbers are accurate and including the doubles we all know you don't add your collection IS the world record video game collection. for high balling it I would post at a cool 1 mill ~ $70 a piece, put that premium in for the world record.

BTW yes I know you were joking.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:56:15 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

ffxik

I seen this.  Makes me cringe when I was asking 17k for mine people thought I had lost my mind.