Author Topic: Do you have any unique video game quirks or rituals that you do?  (Read 5281 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Do you have any unique video game quirks or rituals that you do?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »
I save my receipts.  Most of my disc games have one tucked away inside.  A lot of my NES boxes have them in there too.  I love it.  I have my $6.95 receipt in my CIB Metal Storm box.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 10:04:27 pm »
I save my receipts.  Most of my disc games have one tucked away inside.  A lot of my NES boxes have them in there too.  I love it.  I have my $6.95 receipt in my CIB Metal Storm box.
Doesn't receipt ink fade over time? Usually about after a year?

Badges

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 10:07:51 pm »

Mine haven't.  I keep my games in a cool, dark place though.  I'm all weird about sun damage.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 02:15:10 am »
that is awesoem, only reason mien happen to be in there is when GS stuck it in there lol.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 05:07:16 am »

I have a boxed Atari 2600 that has the original owners receipts from the 70's and it still looks fine, little faded but very legible.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 08:39:32 am »
I dust my game shelves and games every week. The rest of the house is getting cleaned; video games should be no exception. I want thing spic and span.

rayne315

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 11:37:13 am »

receipt paper is a kind of weird material (BPA coated thermal paper). the only 2 reasons a receipt will ever be illegible is because:
1. it got to hot causing the coating to turn black from the thermal reaction
2. It experiences too much friction causing the coating to also thermally react creating dark streaks. Same thing that happens if you scratch your fingernail against it.

on topic though my weird quarks when collecting is.
1. If I buy a brand new game/item still factory sealed I smell it when I open it (sort of like the new car smell but only the new game smell)
2. I HAVE to remove any Price tag (stickers) on new Items before I can play them.
3. I have to KEEP all price tags on any used games I purchase (unless on the label or blocking the titles). this ones a bit strange for me. I never really thought to much about it but have noticed that if I notice my gf taking off the price tags I will not play the game. A big example of this is when I first got my LoZ MM CIB I found it at a yard sale for $5 and really wanted to play it but it had a little circular price sticker from the garage sale. my gf took it off and I haven't even touched it since, But now that I noticed this quirk I am going to try and change it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 12:52:58 pm »
on topic though my weird quarks when collecting is.
1. If I buy a brand new game/item still factory sealed I smell it when I open it (sort of like the new car smell but only the new game smell)
2. I HAVE to remove any Price tag (stickers) on new Items before I can play them.
3. I have to KEEP all price tags on any used games I purchase (unless on the label or blocking the titles). this ones a bit strange for me. I never really thought to much about it but have noticed that if I notice my gf taking off the price tags I will not play the game. A big example of this is when I first got my LoZ MM CIB I found it at a yard sale for $5 and really wanted to play it but it had a little circular price sticker from the garage sale. my gf took it off and I haven't even touched it since, But now that I noticed this quirk I am going to try and change it.
1. I totally dig that, I can relate, I love that smell.
2/3. Like, for the purpose, whether or intentional or not, of knowing which ones you bought brand new and which ones you bought alternatively as well as tracking what you paid for the non-new games?  Or just sort of random OCD?

rayne315

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:34 pm »

2/3. Like, for the purpose, whether or intentional or not, of knowing which ones you bought brand new and which ones you bought alternatively as well as tracking what you paid for the non-new games?  Or just sort of random OCD?

so for number 2 its because they are brand new and should wave no additions/flaws. for the most part any sticker comes off just by removing the plastic but for things like collectors editions that aren't sealed in plastic it just bugs me to no end. but for number 3 its more of a grey area. you can easily look through my collection and tell which games I bought new and which I haven't, which is sort of nice on a large collection. But largely its a sort of OCD/quirk.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »

so for number 2 its because they are brand new and should wave no additions/flaws. for the most part any sticker comes off just by removing the plastic but for things like collectors editions that aren't sealed in plastic it just bugs me to no end. but for number 3 its more of a grey area. you can easily look through my collection and tell which games I bought new and which I haven't, which is sort of nice on a large collection. But largely its a sort of OCD/quirk.
That's cool.  I've thought about on many occasions to leave stickers or receipts in pre-owned games so I can remember where I got them from or how much I paid, but it doesn't work for games without receipts or games that are all on one receipt.  So I've never really tried.

gf78

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 03:20:22 pm »
LOL.  I thought I was the only "wacko" that does some of that stuff.  Here's some of my quirks.

1  I smell anything I open.  New game, new CD, new book...I don't know what it is but I love that "new" smell.

2  I slice the cellophane with an exacto knife.  That way the box is still "wrapped" and I only open it enough to get to the contents.

3  I keep them all in a climate controlled room, on shelves and out of the sunlight.  No sun fading for my gems!

4  I will peel away any labels that obscure the cover.  I do this for games, movies, music, etc.  Especially annoying are those "Bonus inside!" stickers they stick to the cases.  Those are G-O-N-E.

5  I usually play as a female if the option is given.  I don't know if it is because I like to stare at their digital "assets" or whatever, or maybe I just hate looking at a roided-out dude lumbering along.

6  I hate using "heavy hitters" in fighting games.  They are slow and cumbersome.  I rather have someone fast and stealthy.

7  I usually use my wife's name when naming a character in a game as long as they are female.  I've frequently used "Cloud" for the male name due to my love of Final Fantasy VII.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 01:23:02 pm »
I also take care of my games to prevent them from being damaged by keeping them out of direct sunlight and especially in a climate controlled room since cardboard will rot. Cardboard released games in garages will probably get damaged.

Anyways aside from that I usually always remove stickers etc

however for me there are two kind of sticker than can stay on the box.

The box has to be in excellent upwards condition and it has to be or a sticker that was exclusive to that game or a store sticker with the name of the game on it on a spot that doesn't matter to much usually on the back.

Original sticker example

Store stickers examples wich I keep on the box if the box is in excellent upwards shape and on a unimportant part.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »
Used to hum the Pac-Man theme when going to a flea market as it always seemed to bring good luck. The Mario All-Stars theme on the other hand, brought nothing but a bust every time. I also have what I call a newly acquired shelf, a shelf that I sit new acquisitions on for at least a week after getting them. Hmmm... I also have resealable baggies for modern games, any new, or like new that I get goes into one to avoid inevitable shelf wear.

When playing a none linear game, I always have to explore every nook before moving on and look for hidden secrets. Any games that requires me to input a name for a score or a game save, I usually put me, mee, or something profane. Because why put your actual initials?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 09:15:39 pm »
If I'm playing a strategy game I'll usually coach myself through my moves like I'm telling someone else what to do. Think I picked this us from playing FFT as I was getting frustrated with losing in certain fights so telling myself my strategy and what moves I will make usually made me realize if I had any holes in my strategy.

rayne315

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »
lol I actually forgot to write this but whenever I am going to buy a used game I will always smell the label, Manuel, sleeve, and any inserts individually. I have a fear of bringing in mold/mildew into my collection and as such will always do this even if it appears in mint condition. in fact I had to pass on a complete xenosaga series because one of the cases had the smell of cat urine.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully