Author Topic: The price of retro games in 50 years from now? Theories? Doom? Share.  (Read 5080 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: The price of retro games in 50 years from now? Theories? Doom? Share.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
I'm sure cartridges will still be about but I'd imagine there'll be far less of them and I'd guess that with games that utilise a battery for saving, there'll be none left that still save.

Except it's super easy to replace save batteries, so that won't really be a big issue.
Yes now it is. However I don't think those batteries will be used anymore so I doubt they'll be manufactured. So there will be a finite amount that will run out.
Batteries aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Not in our lifetime or the next.

Badges

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »
I'm sure cartridges will still be about but I'd imagine there'll be far less of them and I'd guess that with games that utilise a battery for saving, there'll be none left that still save.

Except it's super easy to replace save batteries, so that won't really be a big issue.
Yes now it is. However I don't think those batteries will be used anymore so I doubt they'll be manufactured. So there will be a finite amount that will run out.
I'd like to think Tesla's vision of free, ever surrounding energy will be realised in this lifetime.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:50 pm »

I'd like to think Tesla's vision of free, ever surrounding energy will be realised in this lifetime.

Even if it will be realised I think that people will still produce the batteries since many people use it for their hobby. Not only for retro games.

If It's starting to die out I'm pretty sure that some retrogame store will see chance to produce them for profit.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »
In 50 years I'll be 96 so IF I'm around I doubt I'll care. I probably won't be able to feed myself or wipe my own ass let alone play video games :D

abe

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 06:28:33 pm »

As long as there's money to be made selling them, people will keep making those batteries.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »
$50 for Mario Bros Duck Hunt combo cart. Little Samson? Eh, $10. They found a warehouse full of them in 2021.

Gaming in the year 2066 will consist of holograms in your house that you interact with like droids in the first person. You literally play the main role in your own living room and holograms build a virtual gaming reality around you. You become the game. The world will most likely be in the rebuilding process after some sort of world war.  At the going rate by then Smash Melee will be anywhere from $2,409,209 to $3,490,023.90. Considering it was 40 last year and is 70 now. Inflation will grow rapidly.  And a CIB copy of EarthBound will literally be transported in an armored truck to fort knox where it will be guarded for the rest of its life by navy seals. Resellers will drive the prices to the moon. 50 years from now Wii U will be old and retro and Atari 2600 will be a dinosaur fossil that the children laugh at as they send text messages via brain waves. Realistically retro video games will be cherished by us old men and the modern kids in the year 2066 might take up collecting things they grew up with like wii u and xbox one. Those will be extremely retro by then. I assume the prices will either plummet because all of us that cared died by then, or they will sky rocket because they will get much more limited. It all depends on weather or not the next generation cares about them. That's why If I have a youngin I am going to raise him on the classics. The roots. so he will always appreciate the fundamentals no matter what fancy virtual reality immersive technology he has by the time he gets older lol.

sworddude

Gaming in the year 2066 will consist of holograms in your house that you interact with like droids in the first person. You literally play the main role in your own living room and holograms build a virtual gaming reality around you. You become the game. The world will most likely be in the rebuilding process after some sort of world war.  At the going rate by then Smash Melee will be anywhere from $2,409,209 to $3,490,023.90. Considering it was 40 last year and is 70 now. Inflation will grow rapidly.  And a CIB copy of EarthBound will literally be transported in an armored truck to fort knox where it will be guarded for the rest of its life by navy seals. Resellers will drive the prices to the moon. 50 years from now Wii U will be old and retro and Atari 2600 will be a dinosaur fossil that the children laugh at as they send text messages via brain waves. Realistically retro video games will be cherished by us old men and the modern kids in the year 2066 might take up collecting things they grew up with like wii u and xbox one. Those will be extremely retro by then. I assume the prices will either plummet because all of us that cared died by then, or they will sky rocket because they will get much more limited. It all depends on weather or not the next generation cares about them. That's why If I have a youngin I am going to raise him on the classics. The roots. so he will always appreciate the fundamentals no matter what fancy virtual reality immersive technology he has by the time he gets older lol.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:06:31 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

What if we go extinct and aliens discover the planet. And they find the fossilized copies of E.T for Atari 2600 buried in the ground. they might think that passed for worthwhile entertainment on this planet. The horror :O

telly

Based from your older posts I've seen, I seriously have no idea if you're joking or serious. In 50 years the high end price of Smash Melee will increase almost 6 million percent? ??? I don't know much about economics, but I dunno about that haha
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Based from your older posts I've seen, I seriously have no idea if you're joking or serious. In 50 years the high end price of Smash Melee will increase almost 6 million percent? ??? I don't know much about economics, but I dunno about that haha
Based on his created threads we can conclude that he's... different than all of us.

Badges

Based on his created threads we can conclude that he's... different than all of us.
He's the man with all the ideas. I commend that.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

I wouldn't call it "ideas," rather a large imagination influenced by some of the Internet's most "interesting" people like Alex Jones. Back on topic now. 6 million percent. No.

Badges

I wouldn't call it "ideas," rather a large imagination influenced by some of the Internet's most "interesting" people like Alex Jones. Back on topic now. 6 million percent. No.
Well obviously on this topic he was having some fun, evidently. But you referred to his threads/posts in general; and I commend that he instigates so much discussion.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

It's not so obvious after you've read his threads and responses. ;)

Badges