Author Topic: It's really hard to look for Xbox stuff now.  (Read 2118 times)

It's really hard to look for Xbox stuff now.
« on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
Thanks to Microsofts indirect refresh if the brand by naming the new Xbox, XBOX ONE, I have a hard time finsing old articles, data, some games, and general original XBOX information. It's been a pain in the ass.

Granted they aren't the only ones who have done this, heck some software companies did it, and I understand the whole point of using "one" for their ecosystem but like, I feel as if they are trying to bury the original Xbox or something. I mean, I will get XBOX ONE articles even if I search XBOX with a game like "BLINX" next to it.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: It's really hard to look for Xbox stuff now.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:45:10 am »
Truth, or in general convo, when you are talking to a friend, if you are talking about the OG xbox, you gotta say original, instead of just saying xbox 1.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:51 am »
Truth, or in general convo, when you are talking to a friend, if you are talking about the OG xbox, you gotta say original, instead of just saying xbox 1.

Which in some search engines, depending on what sites come up in the algorithm, translates to Xbox 1 anyway. it's just a pain.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:17 am »
It doesn't matter which xbox you are referring to, if you say "Xbox" in conversation and it isn't perfectly clear which platform you are talking about, you'll get the question of "OG, 360, or One?".

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:58:15 am »
You could try to search for articles while restricting the publication date. This could potentially exclude any recent writings on the older console, but it'd at least give you a bit of a filter.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:16 pm »
You could try to search for articles while restricting the publication date. This could potentially exclude any recent writings on the older console, but it'd at least give you a bit of a filter.

It's a partial fix but still has issues, heck, if a 2012 article talks about a 2005 game on some of these sites, some search engines will label the article 2005.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:39 pm »

It's a partial fix but still has issues, heck, if a 2012 article talks about a 2005 game on some of these sites, some search engines will label the article 2005.
Oh man, and articles that are written back in 2005, but the website wants to show up as relevant, so they have scripts to automatically update articles dates in meta data as 2016.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:39 pm »

Oh man, and articles that are written back in 2005, but the website wants to show up as relevant, so they have scripts to automatically update articles dates in meta data as 2016.

Like I said pain in the ass. :)

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »
Narrow your search results by date, pre-2012 or so. Oops, guess someone already said that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 04:36:17 pm »
Type in the search engine "XBox -360 -One". On Google, at least, if you put a - before a word, it searches for results without that in it.

But I use Google, and whenever I type in Original XBox, I seem to find stuff no problem.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:18:53 pm by burningdoom »

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »

Bastards! I hate when I search for current stuff, and that garbage is still floating around, getting in the way.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:07:04 pm »
True, but in terms of availablity and price, the original XBOX is still a great system to collect for. There are maybe 10 games for the console that have skyrocketed in price and are quite hard to find.

gf78

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »
True, but in terms of availablity and price, the original XBOX is still a great system to collect for. There are maybe 10 games for the console that have skyrocketed in price and are quite hard to find.

The original Xbox while having a smaller library than the PS2 had some truly outstanding titles that were console-exclusive or completely exclusive as well as generally better versions of multiplatform games.  Knights of the Old Republic and Knights II - The Sith Lords were fantastic.  The OG Xbox also got great ports of Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast.  Otogi 1 & 2 were fantastic as were the Oddworld games.  Project Gotham Racing was great.  So were Dead or Alive and Halo of course. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us