Author Topic: Best Affordable Capture Cards for game recording?  (Read 3522 times)

Best Affordable Capture Cards for game recording?
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
I'm looking for some good game recording hardware (or just general television recording hardware), I have a few projects I am working on and I need a good cpature card without much if any lag, and able to record at a solid minimum at 60fps and 1080p Now the only ones I've seen that do this (and more) are around $300 and I really am not doing that much with it so that would be a kind of crazy investment.

Wondering if anybody had any ideas on this?

desocietas

Re: Best Affordable Capture Cards for game recording?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:44:02 pm »
Just wondering if you are trying to capture older or newer consoles...?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »
Just wondering if you are trying to capture older or newer consoles...?

Both

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
Does and Elgato capture at 1080p?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:16 pm »

Elgato GamecaptureHD will capture in 1080p however via HDMI it's 30FPS component on it will capture @60FPS though the only thing I used it for Via component was Sonic Adventure 2 at 720p on my PS3 due to how I have it set up

the HD60 does capture at 1080p, 60fps but you only get HDMI no component/composite

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »
I currently have an elgato HD (not HD60) for the sake of my older consoles.

My bf is looking into us maybe getting a new capture card:
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-broadcaster/razer-ripsaw

Supposed to run older and newer consoles with near-zero latency. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't attest to it, I'm afraid.

Another way to get pass the lag is to look into internal capture cards, but that's another bit of research I haven't done much of personally.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

topspot123

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:13:14 pm »

Elgato GamecaptureHD will capture in 1080p however via HDMI it's 30FPS component on it will capture @60FPS though the only thing I used it for Via component was Sonic Adventure 2 at 720p on my PS3 due to how I have it set up

the HD60 does capture at 1080p, 60fps but you only get HDMI no component/composite

The HD60 is about $150 on amazon too.  It sounds like it fits the bill.  I am hoping to pick up the regular HD at some point myself since it is more flexible for my needs.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:29:22 am »

Supposed to run older and newer consoles with near-zero latency. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't attest to it, I'm afraid.

Another way to get pass the lag is to look into internal capture cards, but that's another bit of research I haven't done much of personally.

I'm about to buy something.  I was onboard with the hauppauge pvr2 gaming.  Now, I'm going to have to look into this Razor Ripsaw.  I like new toys!

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:57 pm »

Internal?

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
Nope, external like the elgato HD and HD60.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:40 pm »
I think I'm going to buy one of these Razor Ripsaws after reading reviews.  It's easier to use and I already know how to use OBS (which the Ripsaw was made to use).  It'll be the end of June before I buy it.  I'll let you know how it works then.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:20 pm »
I think I'm going to buy one of these Razor Ripsaws after reading reviews.  It's easier to use and I already know how to use OBS (which the Ripsaw was made to use).  It'll be the end of June before I buy it.  I'll let you know how it works then.

Nice! Yeah, the bf was trying to talk me into going in on it with him, but I'm iffy about dropping money on one atm. But the more I look at it, the more interested I get. I'm going to stop by the new Razer store in town and see if they have have any information about it there.

elgato has it's own Game Capture software that works with OBS but can be finnicky.  I've pretty much used OBS only for game captures and have been enjoying OBS Studio. Have you tried it yet?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »

Nice! Yeah, the bf was trying to talk me into going in on it with him, but I'm iffy about dropping money on one atm. But the more I look at it, the more interested I get. I'm going to stop by the new Razer store in town and see if they have have any information about it there.

elgato has it's own Game Capture software that works with OBS but can be finnicky.  I've pretty much used OBS only for game captures and have been enjoying OBS Studio. Have you tried it yet?

I haven't.  I've just used the classic.  I've fooled around with it some, but not enough to really know what I'm doing.  I can do pnp stuff with an emulator, but I don't know the real meat of it. 
I'll let you know how it works out in a month or so.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 04:02:24 pm »
Cool, looking forward to it.

Took me about an evening to get used to OBS Studio after regular OBS, but it seems to be better about how it uses resources.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

topspot123

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:35 pm »

http://kotaku.com/razers-new-ripsaw-capture-box-is-pretty-much-avermedias-1771583021

Apparently the internals match the AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme.  They run at roughly the same price, but watch both and you might be able to get one cheaper.