Author Topic: Why does everyone say they hate COD but then they buy it?  (Read 3948 times)

Why does everyone say they hate COD but then they buy it?
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »
All my friends hate call of duty but they all invest over 100 hours into each title that comes out. I don't get it.

Re: Why does everyone say they hate COD but then they buy it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:35:32 pm »
That’s probably because they are frustrated that the game don’t change in the away they want, but deep inside they still like the multiplayer or are slaves of it. The social factor is what made then buy the game, exactly because everyone else buys it.

Moreover, if everyone always buy the same game repeatedly on yours social circle it’s hard to try other games because you don’t know if your friends are going to try it as well.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:08:56 pm »
Mostly because they don't actually hate CoD, not in that they despise it like others do.  Trinisete makes a good point that there is frustration involved in the series direction, it's why I stopped playing CoD, because it kept building up the parts I hated about what the series was becoming, so I haven't bought a CoD since the first Black Ops.  For them, it still is something they can enjoy with friends and I could even find myself drawn back to CoD if I had a solid group of friends playing it and were asking me to join.

The hate CoD got for Infinite Warfare is insane though.  Unrealistically so and was mostly bandwagon hate unseen in even past CoD releases.  I personally thought the trailer for the game looked good and the space setting looked kinda neat, even if I wasn't ever going to buy the game.  It even has the better song compared to Battlefield 1's choice that better worked with the trailer as I hated the song they picked for BF1, though the editing was good.

A lot of it just comes down to popularity and franchise fatigue.  Yearly releases are not great for most games usually, even if they still sell well.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:23:22 pm »
I hate Cod/ any fps games, so i don't buy them. ^_^

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:32:29 pm »

Do you actually "hate" fps games or is it just a genre you don't like to play? I don't like to play racing simulator games, but I don't "hate" them lol

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:00 pm »

Same here, also goes for open-world type genre.

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:33:57 pm »
To be honest, for many people and I hate to say it, especially gamers, the reason is...

I don't actually hate COD, it's just kind of a meh franchise to me, and I get annoyed seeing a new one every year. But you have to realize that most games are just a copy of something before it.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:27 pm »
All my friends hate call of duty but they all invest over 100 hours into each title that comes out. I don't get it.

All your friends? Every "friend" you have has told you this? Sounds like you're being trolled by your "friends". Maybe they just wanted to see you post another question on a forum.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:18 pm »
Sounds like the new hot conspiracy theory to me. You could make millions off of this profound discovery.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 03:25:44 am »
I can see what you mean but I have no idea why people go on that way.

I haven't bought or played a Call of Duty since Black Ops 2 failed to catch my interest. The multiplayer for me just got far too complicated with its insane amount of killstreaks and perks; and Infinity Ward from what I gather lost their way with single player experiences for Ghosts and to be honest Treyarch were never very good with single player to begin with. As a result th series offered nothing to me anymore.

I don't hate it though; I just don't like the direction it's gone in. I'd love them to take a year off, then release a stripped back reboot of sorts.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:14 am »
I don't like FPS titles at all, so I ignore the buzz around any game series in that genre.

CoD is something I tend roll my eyes at. It's like the Candy Crush of FPS titles.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 10:00:29 am »
The amount of hate the new Call of Duty is receiving is ridiculous.  It's people jumping on a bandwagon.  As for Infinite Warfare itself, I think it looks pretty good from the trailer as they are attempting to do something they haven't done before.  It's obvious that it's more than just fighting on the moon or whatever as you see other planets and different horizons.  I also really like the remake of Space Oddity that plays during the trailer. 

I don't have any particular set of friends I play online with, but Call of Duty's multiplayer is fun for awhile to me.  It's a waste for me to buy any map packs because about that point, I have had my fill.  I usually enjoy the single player story the most. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:05 pm »
Its because you know you can't escape. It's infinite. Infinite warfare that is.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »
I hate Call of Duty and I haven't bought one since Modern Warfare 2 because it was around that time that they stopped focusing on the Single Player campaign which was the whole reason I bought them in the first place. The first couple of CoD games had an amazing Single Player campaign for their time.

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 03:38:41 am »
I don't hate the COD series but I don't have a real fondness for it. The games in the series I do have were either given to me (COD: Black Ops II for PS3) or I found them for so cheap I decided to pick it up (COD: Ghosts bought brand spanking new @ TRU for a whole $1 on Black Friday). The releases I own haven't been played and they're on the WAY back end of the burner that is my backlog.  :P

If I were to "hate" anything, it's Activision and their incessant need to shit out iterations of the franchise on a yearly (and sometimes less than yearly...more like multi-quarterly) basis. EA and Ubisoft aren't much better with the practice but it seems like Activision took a cue from their playbooks and turned up the annoyance factor to its zenith. They burned franchises like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk into the ground and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before consumer apathy forces them to dial back the amount of releases they're shitting out for COD like kamikazekeeg mentioned.

The most current title has a rather obnoxious subtitle to it that actually made me LOL when I first heard about it. I had to wonder if it was a partial slap in the face to the guys who broke away from Infinity Ward and went on to found Respawn. At the same time I wondered if they had just plain run out of subtitles to conjure up out of their collective hind ends.  :P That said, the game looks fine visually but the series overall just isn't my cup of tea so I haven't paid it much mind. I do love me some FPS games though and will probably look into getting Doom as I heard the campaign mode is really good. Also, I just went and paid off my Overwatch CE yesterday.  ;D