Author Topic: Hope this isnt a new trend  (Read 3763 times)

gf78

Re: Hope this isnt a new trend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 09:52:04 am »
Unless its a limited release there is no point in pre-ordering.

Agreed.  I think it's an anxiety thing that retailers build-up making us think we might not get a copy if we don't preorder.  Retailers like GameStop push that idea as well.  Reality?  When you go to the store, even for a huge game like Call of Duty (just an example) there are dozens or hundreds of copies for the taking.  Walmart hardly ever runs short. 

The only time I preorder anything now is usually through Amazon.  It's just for convenience sake because they don't even bill you until the item ships and I don't have to think about it.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:27 am »
I pre-order games all the time. I don't see any issue with it, but my esoteric tastes probably makes it a necessity. For instance, when Growlanser for the PSP was released, my pre-order was the only copy available at the store.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 10:26:28 am »
I pre-order games all the time. I don't see any issue with it, but my esoteric tastes probably makes it a necessity. For instance, when Growlanser for the PSP was released, my pre-order was the only copy available at the store.

Esoteric is an understatement

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 10:42:59 am »
Pre-ordering for video games doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe it is because games these days are often incomplete at their launch day, or if complete are buggy mess or multiplayer doesn't work. The only thing I've pre-ordered were toys, but that is more to garauntee I could get the item. As some toys sell out fast and balloon on the secondary market.

rayne315

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 11:03:30 am »
What's the point of pre-ordering anyway it's not like it's going sold out the same day it hits stores that you couldn't walk in and buy it. There's always trickery when pre-ordering games these days.

The point of preordering is sort of like the same concept as the stock market it allows the game to get the funding to complete it if it wasn't already fully funded, allows the company to guage the interest in that particular gameplay/title, increases the chances of a sequel/game with the same sort of gameplay, etc.

sort of the way the market is being flooded with games that are online only with little or no storyline. EVERYBODY buys titles like COD, Battlefield, etc. everyone puts their money where their mouth is. so every developer starts trying to cash in on the trend.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 12:38:02 pm »
I know we're getting off-topic from the OP, but I don't have any issues with pre-ordering personally. I understand that people don't want to part with their money, no matter the cost, before they can get the item in their hand.  I kinda think of it as a reservation at a restaurant. Sometimes, you realize there was no need as there are plenty of tables when you get there. Other times, the restaurant is smaller than you thought or a lot busier than expected so the reservation was warranted.

With GameStop at least, there's no obligation to buy the final product, either, and you don't lose the deposit - it's just a credit that ends up on your account for later.

The thing I'm more annoyed by is if people complain (on release date) about a store not having a game they've been wanting since it was announced but they never bothered to preorder it. With the cost of limited floor space, it's unrealistic to expect a brick-and-mortar store to have plentiful numbers of every game, big and small. That, and some stores need to purchase that quantity from the publishers, so if there's any risk of it not selling (which can be seen from lack of preorders), they pick up very little of it or none at all.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 12:47:56 pm »
Pre-ordering for video games doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe it is because games these days are often incomplete at their launch day, or if complete are buggy mess or multiplayer doesn't work. The only thing I've pre-ordered were toys, but that is more to garauntee I could get the item. As some toys sell out fast and balloon on the secondary market.

Yeah....toys.  I've been collecting the Star Wars Elite Series figures which are Disney Store exclusives.  I pretty much set my alarm for 2:00AM when the website refreshes to snag the new ones I need.  Otherwise, I have to drive 100 miles to the closest Disney Store after I get off work or call out for the day.  If I get there first thing in the morning when they open, no problem.  If I wait until after work, they figures are always gone. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »
I know we're getting off-topic from the OP, but I don't have any issues with pre-ordering personally. I understand that people don't want to part with their money, no matter the cost, before they can get the item in their hand.  I kinda think of it as a reservation at a restaurant. Sometimes, you realize there was no need as there are plenty of tables when you get there. Other times, the restaurant is smaller than you thought or a lot busier than expected so the reservation was warranted.

With GameStop at least, there's no obligation to buy the final product, either, and you don't lose the deposit - it's just a credit that ends up on your account for later.

The thing I'm more annoyed by is if people complain (on release date) about a store not having a game they've been wanting since it was announced but they never bothered to preorder it. With the cost of limited floor space, it's unrealistic to expect a brick-and-mortar store to have plentiful numbers of every game, big and small. That, and some stores need to purchase that quantity from the publishers, so if there's any risk of it not selling (which can be seen from lack of preorders), they pick up very little of it or none at all.

There are certain times when a preorder makes sense to me.  If it's a limited game or a game in a niche genre like Kash tends to pick up, then sure-a preorder guarantees you will get that game.  If the "day one" edition is something actually different like a steelbook case, then it makes sense.  If it's just a vanilla release and your preorder snags you a pretty purple gun painjob...forget it.  I don't care.  I usually just sell those codes on eBay anyway. 

Where I once preordered every game so I could have it paid off before it releases, developers and publishers are pushing review embargos on games and many times it's a situation like Aliens Colonial Marines.  The game is shit and they don't want you to know it's shit until it's too late and you already bought and found out for yourself.  I really wanted Doom day one, but I was patient and saw that it was actually worth getting.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:51:44 pm by gf78 »

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »
That's an extreme example but I have found in thee last 2/3 years that game prices drop far more quickly.

I've tried to scale back my pre-orders somewhat because of it. So many times I'd buy a game, not get a chance to play it and find it half price two months later.

Now I try to keep my pre-orders to just things I can't wait to play or games which I feel won't drop in price anytime soon, or that might be limited in their release even.

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »
Where I once preordered every game so I could have it paid off before it releases, developers and publishers are pushing review embargos on games and many times it's a situation like Aliens Colonial Marines.  The game is shit and they don't want you to know it's shit until it's too late and you already bought and found out for yourself.  I really wanted Doom day one, but I was patient and saw that it was actually worth getting.

I was concerned about Doom since they didn't have advance copies or anything for people to review... but it turned out that the game was actually all right! Not sure why companies make those decisions when they do.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »

I was concerned about Doom since they didn't have advance copies or anything for people to review... but it turned out that the game was actually all right! Not sure why companies make those decisions when they do.

With strong online components or even a game that is online-only, I get that you don't want your game judged on sparsely-populated servers or whatever.  But the single player should have been available for early reviews/impressions.  And when it comes to online games, there still really isn't an excuse.  They could set up a private server for reviewers to utilize which would give them enough people to play with to see how the online holds up.  Obviously they couldn't test for how well the servers handle heavy loads of users, but it would be better than nothing or making gamers suspicious that the devs/publishers are trying to hide reviews of a shoddy product.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »
I was scrolling around through some sites and I always end up on Gamestop's site to see if any new releases are announced. Then I saw a game that was released 3 weeks ago already marked down $20 (Battleborn). Why the fuck did I pre-order this game if I could have just waited a couple of weeks to save $20? I wish I opened it. The return policy is 1 month on unopened items. I could just return it and rebuy it.
Phew, glad I dodged that bullet and skipped this game. It was on my list to buy since it was first officially announced but something told me to wait it out a little for feedback.

Badges

rayne315

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:47 pm »

I have this old world solution to this new world problem. play the game as soon as you get home and if you are incapable of havng fun in it because of too many glitches, hard locking the game through general play, no servers to play the online, return the game to where you bought it.

I had to do this with that utter disaster that was tony hawk pro skater 5 and I got all my money back, not just the trade in that GS wanted to give me. If the store tells you they can take it back call them out and say that they can literally send the game back the publisher for a full refund to themselves so they wont loose any money.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

dreama1

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 10:47:42 pm »

I have this old world solution to this new world problem. play the game as soon as you get home and if you are incapable of havng fun in it because of too many glitches, hard locking the game through general play, no servers to play the online, return the game to where you bought it.

I had to do this with that utter disaster that was tony hawk pro skater 5 and I got all my money back, not just the trade in that GS wanted to give me. If the store tells you they can take it back call them out and say that they can literally send the game back the publisher for a full refund to themselves so they wont loose any money.
You could of just waited for a review. Most games today are not even worth buying day one anyway.

rayne315

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »

You could of just waited for a review. Most games today are not even worth buying day one anyway.

I try not to read reviews for games. I look at promotional material and see if it looks good that way. I have fallen into the trap of reading reviews from people who were way to overly hyped and reviewed a great game poorly or a poor game overly blown. I also ignore promotional material that says not actual gameplay.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully