Author Topic: Just started my collection. But looking for opinions.  (Read 4069 times)

Just started my collection. But looking for opinions.
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »
So I plan to start collected all cartridge games and consoles. I have a handful of games NES, SNES, and N64 from growing up. And my though was to collect with my daughters.

My question is about Repo carts on very hard to get and find games. Such as Earthbound, or really any other cart that goes for outrageous prices. My though was when I have the extra money to get the Repo cart in a different color so I have the games and complete set to play. And later if we come across a really great find get the real thing...but I have no intention of paying more the $50 for a rare title and to me $50 is high(probably wont be using ebay much).

So what are yall's thoughs using repo carts to supplement your Original carts. (i only intend to get the repo carts in a color the original carts were not sold in)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Just started my collection. But looking for opinions.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:05:51 pm »
First off: Welcome to the site. It's a great place. Hit the intro thread and tell us a little about yourself.

As for repros, I have a little different idea about this than a lot of folks. I say emulate those games you can't find easily. Use your computer, softmod a Wii, put them on your phone. There are so many ways to enjoy those games, skip the repros.

That's my 2 cents. I have a few repros and hacks. They're cool and all, but I like to look at the carts.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:57:47 pm »
Yeah, I agree with Turf here and say that emulation is the best course of action, especially in dealing with imports.
If you really want a cart to use for a system, then maybe get an Everdrive for the one you want the most( those are still cost a bit of money).

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:08 am »
Repros are great. I'm not a fan of digital emulation for my own reasons but I'm all for repros.

And tbf if $50 is your spend limit on any single game, you're going to need repros or you'll miss out on plenty of great games.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:09:59 am »
I do emulation on some but its not the same as having a cart.

And shoot we are going to stick to the $5 and under games for as long as possible...but you never know when you will come across that "Little Samson" in a big box of random carts. Lol and having a cute little girl at a flea market asking for a game might just get it cheaper.

I also had the though of looking a garage sales for that box that someone just wants to get rid of or estate sales. Or even buying a big lot and keeping what we need and selling or trading the rest.

But $400-800 for a game no thank you. ill get the $30-50 repo...

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 07:02:47 am »
I recommend to not buy repro's go the emultation road.

You do have free ways of emulation wich aren's as good as the original but if you for example buy an ever drive flash cart wich costs between 70 - 150 $ you have acces to all games on original hardware. Furthermore It's a cardridge wich one puts in a console.

It's an easy way to get the real experience on original hardware for all games.

There is no difference compared to the original, buying lose repro's for 50 pop a piece is a big waste of money, there is nothing cool about having a repro of for example little samson just emulate or buy a flash cart for the true experience. Also way cheaper when one buys multiple repro's instead of one flash cart wich has acces to all games.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:03:49 am »

You do have free ways of emulation wich aren's as good as the original but if you for example buy an ever drive flash cart wich costs between 70 - 150 $ you have acces to all games on original hardware. Furthermore It's a cardridge wich one puts in a console.

There is no difference compared to the original, buying lose repro's for 50 pop a piece is a big waste of money, there is nothing cool about having a repro of for example little samson just emulate or buy a flash cart for the true experience. Also way cheaper when one buys multiple repro's instead of one flash cart wich has acces to all games.
He wants to collect games with his daughter as an experience.

I think a kid is going to much prefer finding a repro cart in the local brick and mortar retro store, than logging on the roms.com and downloading a game.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:20:11 am »
I'm personally against repros, and if I owned a repro, I wouldn't mark it on this site as "in my collection".  I certainly wouldn't mark that I own the official release.  And adding a second copy to the site as homebrew or unofficial release is kind of confusing.  Everdrive is nice, but you won't have that experience hunting. 

From my experience in big cities like DFW, with a high population, you have a high number of collectors and resellers, so you are going to have your work cut out for you.

My personal suggestion to you, would be to emulate any game valued over a certain threshold ($80 maybe) and anything else try your luck finding it.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:38:07 am »
Whatever floats your boat, cloud1771.
If you like the look of repros, go for it. There is no moral authority in this hobby, which might hinder you from going this direction. I have a very nice repro of "Metal Warriors (SNES)" as well. A nice NTSC cart in a very nice shiny repro box looking almost exactly like the original. I know it drives purists and collectorfags nuts everytime, they see or hear about those repros but you are a free individual and you should do whatever you like and not what others like or don't like.
This hobby is about fun and enjoyment for the individual collector, not about becoming compliant to what the community tells the people to do.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:47:34 am »

He wants to collect games with his daughter as an experience.

I think a kid is going to much prefer finding a repro cart in the local brick and mortar retro store, than logging on the roms.com and downloading a game.

I see your point but spending 50 each on expensive games.

Even when buying only 4 copies your in 200, while with an everdrive one purchase of 70 - 150 and your done depending on wich console with acces to all games.

Sure the beginning is some menu but otherwise the experience is exactly the same if not better. You can put every game on the cart to your liking and afterwards you have direct acces to those games.

I personally will never spend money on a repro cart, maybe on some translate if that's not already accesible with the everdrive wich it probably is already or certainly will be in the near future.

The only reason to buy lose repro's is that it looks nice, but remember It's personal It's not the same as having an original cart there is nothing cool about having a repro of an expensive game. Go big or go broke, I'd walk the emulator road and for the best experience a flash cart like the everdrive is highly recommended.

Just my opinion repro's are a waste of money, It looks nice but there are plenty of cheaper ways with the same results on original hardware.

Besides were only talking about the expensive games since the affordable ones can be collected for a decent price. There are plenty of cardridges that can be picked up by the kids.

Unfortunately there are people who scam with these and sell them as the original.

In deals one will not be hurt by repro's but when buying them for pretty much full price there are potential scammers who sell repro's as original.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:19 am »
If you like the look of repros, go for it. There is no moral authority in this hobby, which might hinder you from going this direction. I have a very nice repro of "Metal Warriors (SNES)" as well. A nice NTSC cart in a very nice shiny repro box looking almost exactly like the original. I know it drives purists and collectorfags nuts everytime, they see or hear about those repros but you are a free individual and you should do whatever you like and not what others like or don't like.
This hobby is about fun and enjoyment for the individual collector, not about becoming compliant to what the community tells the people to do.

Watch the language.

doafan

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 12:00:36 pm »
And my though was to collect with my daughters.

Always knew that I can't be the only but I didn't started with my daughters, when they were born already had a couple of titles so as a father to another allow me to say that you are doing a wonderful thing, it's fucking awesome not only to collect but to play together and being able to say, when I was your age I used to play this on rainy days or when I was sick, in my personal opinion I already know that my daughters will have not only good memories with me, they will have something than later they can sell to earn some extra money in case they need it.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

gf78

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 02:03:23 pm »

What the F is a "collectorfag?"  And have to agree with kash, your statement is offensive.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dreama1

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:34:06 pm »

What the F is a "collectorfag?"  And have to agree with kash, your statement is offensive.
You get offended way to easy dude.

dreama1

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:41:25 pm »
It's pretty funny actually. But it's only funny the reaction from these douche bags who buy up dozens of copies of the same game with one intent only. And enough to keep everyone else out. Then suddenly someone brings out a nice repro of the same game and they look like fools when no one wants to buy from them after all the treachery,  it's pretty priceless.