Author Topic: German USK labelling question  (Read 1224 times)

tripredacus

German USK labelling question
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:17:08 am »
While doing my research on Sega Superstars Tennis, I found that in Germany there are at least 5 different USK labels. The first two (small and large) appear to be legit cover variations, but the label versions make me wonder. Where do these labels come from? Are they applied during manufacturing or is it something that an individual store does? If anyone from Germany (or whatever) can shed some light on these labels, it will be helpful.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: German USK labelling question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »
Its manufactured. We (im Dutch) also get them, mostly on LE's.

I have this one http://vgcollect.com/item/100693 in front of me, and it not a sticker.

http://www.usk.de/en/classification/age-rating-symbols/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unterhaltungssoftware_Selbstkontrolle Top ones used till 2010

The first one on the bottom is one from the transistion period, that might be a sticker, because you can see the old one.

Second barcode  bottom row doesnt give any hit  :o
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:21:07 pm by fazerco »

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »

There are no barcodes on the bottom row, only Ebay item IDs. This is because I was not able to find front and back images of both, or clear enough back images to use for comparison. I put the Ebay ids in as a reference. The only one that does not match the ID is the 2nd on on the top row, because it is a stock photo that matches the actual item.

So we can say for sure that the top two versions with the kids, as well as the middle one on the bottom row (same style as your Starfox example) are not labels and are actually part of the cover printing. The one on the lower left is likely a label and the one on the lower right is definately a label.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:45 am »
The 2nd on the top row is a stock/fake photo, because as I know that large version of USK label doesn't exist. The first one on the top row is the earlier edition of Sega Superstar Tennis.
At the bottom row the middle one (large transluscent usk logo, later release) is the correct one - printed usk, 1st and 3rd they have usk sticker.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:19:59 pm »

There are no barcodes on the bottom row, only Ebay item IDs. This is because I was not able to find front and back images of both, or clear enough back images to use for comparison. I put the Ebay ids in as a reference. The only one that does not match the ID is the 2nd on on the top row, because it is a stock photo that matches the actual item.

So we can say for sure that the top two versions with the kids, as well as the middle one on the bottom row (same style as your Starfox example) are not labels and are actually part of the cover printing. The one on the lower left is likely a label and the one on the lower right is definately a label.

Maybe i was wrong on the barcode thingy, but the others did lead me to Ebay.

And i go with Mastafalik on the rest. I didnt have anymore time yesterday to look further.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »
The 2nd on the top row is a stock/fake photo, because as I know that large version of USK label doesn't exist.

Yes it is a stock photo, the one I intend to use when I add the item into the database. And it does exist (the ebay id I put in the picture)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291784405372

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:15:49 pm »
Those with the big numbers in the middle are the newer ones, which replaced the earlier versions in the white frame.
It is the obligation of the publisher to apply these stickers to the boxes/cases according to the audit result of the USK if they aren't already part of the artwork, so they are in no case applied by the stores if that answers your question.
The variations can probably be explained by the fact, that this particular game has been released in the transition phase from the old logo to the new logo (and in between a resize of the old logo was also introduced) and the different new logos are a result of a new system, that had yet some kinks here and there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:17:31 pm by blurks »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:17:21 am »
Ok it makes sense to me.  :)

But now, how should these different rating badges be identified? I still have not added any of these into the database yet.