Author Topic: How many do you consider to many games?  (Read 6157 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: How many do you consider to many games?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 02:32:39 pm »
You see it that way?

Well, most of us have collections that are MUCH larger than your average gamer's collection with 100s or 1000s of games. I don't think many us limit ourselves much with our collections.

kashell

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:58 pm »
*shrug* Myself, Telly and Lady D mentioned we just buy the ones we intend to play (or in some cases replay) instead of going willy-nilly with the purchasing.

Nickkchilla

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:13 pm »
You can never have enough games! Although I would imagine having a hoard of games that you'd never play might qualify as too many. I typically only purchase games I actually have an interest in and will play. I don't see much of a point in collecting (not that there's anything wrong with that) simply for the sake of displaying your boxes on a shelf, never to be played.

I also don't typically sell or trade games I like once they're in my collection. I'm still in the process of purchasing games back from my childhood that my foolish younger self traded in to Funcoland/Gamestop all those years ago.

telly

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
You see it that way?

Well, most of us have collections that are MUCH larger than your average gamer's collection with 100s or 1000s of games. I don't think many us limit ourselves much with our collections.

Well, it varies from person to person, but I do purposely limit myself with how much I spend on games, or how many games I bring in from month to month. I think it varies depending on who you ask :)
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 03:36:45 pm »
*shrug* Myself, Telly and Lady D mentioned we just buy the ones we intend to play (or in some cases replay) instead of going willy-nilly with the purchasing.

It was just a joke anyways.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 03:45:17 pm »
My normal response is there is no such thing.

But recently, there is this guy who has been posting on facebook all of the stuff he has been buying on ebay (allegedly for steal prices) and every so often he will post pictures of certain things in his collection.  Like how he owns 3 Misadventures of Tron Bonne and 12 copies of Symphony of the Night... for no reason.  When asked why he does it, his response is that he can't turn away these awesome deals he gets for the games.

When you own multiple copies of a single game for absolutely no reason, that's too many games.

I disagree.

I wouldn't mind having multiple copies of symphony of the night when the price is a steal. Tron bonne is one of the more expensive titles in the US but also in Pal land and It's a megaman spinoff . These aren't your ordinary games they are worthy to have multiple copies of.

I personally think someone is a bit jealous  ::)

Anyways back on topic in my opinion you can never have to many games.

Everyone has different reasons for collecting, certain people go for full sets while other collect only the better titles or there is that group of people who only buy a select few games.

If one has multiple copies of many many bad games without any nostalgia or any reason at all than one might have to many games but one can;t judge a book by It's cover.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:07:48 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »

But recently, there is this guy who has been posting on facebook all of the stuff he has been buying on ebay (allegedly for steal prices) and every so often he will post pictures of certain things in his collection.  Like how he owns 3 Misadventures of Tron Bonne and 12 copies of Symphony of the Night... for no reason.  When asked why he does it, his response is that he can't turn away these awesome deals he gets for the games.

When you own multiple copies of a single game for absolutely no reason, that's too many games.

That's so tough... I've definitely acquired a few dupes of items because the prices were good or I was buying a small lot of games and those items were included.  But I also feel like those copies should be attainable by other people at prices that are affordable to *them*. Someone else may be able to afford to pay another 10 or 20 bucks and still get a deal, but others might not have that luxury.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »
If you're buying enough games that you can't pay your bills.
It happens more often than some would care to admit. Some gamer on youtube; his wife left him after his collection got so big. But this just brings up another headache of a question doesn't it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:47:50 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 04:57:39 pm »

That's so tough... I've definitely acquired a few dupes of items because the prices were good or I was buying a small lot of games and those items were included.  But I also feel like those copies should be attainable by other people at prices that are affordable to *them*. Someone else may be able to afford to pay another 10 or 20 bucks and still get a deal, but others might not have that luxury.
No, I get that situation.

I guess I'm just being judgey, because he's either lying or has a really weak definition of steal.  He bought an Ogre Battle complete for PSX and a VGA graded R-types and claimed he got them for $80 total and paid in ebay bucks.  The only VGA graded R-types that has sold on ebay sold for $100.  And ebay bucks is what, 2% back?  He said he paid for it all with ebay bucks, so what's that $4k spent in a quarter?

It's all very conflicting.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:48 pm »

I disagree.

I wouldn't mind having multiple copies of symphony of the night when the price is a steal. Tron bonne is one of the more expensive titles in the US but also in Pal land and It's a megaman spinoff . These aren't your ordinary games they are worthy to have multiple copies of. both are excellent games I know many people who are fans of certain series who have multiple copies of certain games usually the more obseure stuff wich are harder to find or wich are the better games in the entire series.

I personally think someone is a bit jealous  ::)

That's nice.

:P

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:26:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »
If you're buying enough games that you can't pay your bills.

^^^^ This is the answer for me. ^^^^^

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:20 pm »
if you have the space,funds,time and love of gaming i dont consider any collection to be to large. (or small for that matter)I can find some thing to admire in everyone's collections. Its whatever makes you happy.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 11:05:54 pm »
I'm not an everything game/console collector. So I solely go for games and console that I like. That is the reason why the game part of that collection (now being at roughly 480 games across all platforms) will never exceed 1000 and the systems part has been set at 85 (half way there). I have a predetermined checklist that I update regularly that helps me to achieve that goal. But to clearly answer the op's question the limit is the physical space I have to store the games/consoles.