Author Topic: Telly's Tasks - VGC DB Worklog  (Read 3523 times)

telly

Telly's Tasks - VGC DB Worklog
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
Following Tripredacus, I decided to make my own little R&D thread for things I'm working on in VGC. Feedback and suggestions are always appreciated! This is just a log of what I've been doing so I can better keep track of everything and so people can see what I've been working on.

Project 1 - Visual Cleanup (going through current lists to make sure all games in list view have the right title and cover art)

- Completed (obviously will need a re-look through at some point)
PSP [JP]
Mega Drive [JP]
DS [JP]
3DS [JP]
PS1 [JP]
GameCube [JP]
Wii [JP]
WiiU [JP]
Vita [JP] - really complete at this point
NeoGeo AES [NA]
NeoGeo AES/CD [JP]
PS4 [JP]

Working on
TGCD [JP]

Project 2 - JP Database Adding (going though current Japanese game lists to complete them fully by adding all the games that aren't there)

- Pretty much complete
Xbox [JP]

- Working on
Xbox 360 [JP] - Last game added - Call of Duty 2
GameCube [JP] - Last game added - Family Stadium 2003
Xbox One [JP]
Wii [KR]
3DS [KR]
DS [KR] - Adding stuff for these three KR sections as I find games for them.

Have also added 5 Neo Geo X games [NA]

Project 3 - Adding all the CA GameCube games

- My list of added/completed games so far. Strikethrough is for games that should have all their editions covered. BL = Black Label, PC = Player's Choice, BS = Best Seller
Mario Party 5, 6 and 7
Animal Crossing (BL and PC)
Luigi's Mansion (BL and PC)
Super Mario Sunshine (BL and PC)
Star Fox Adventures (BL and PC)
Paper Mario: TTYD (BS and PC)
Metroid Prime (BL, PC and edition with MP2 bonus disc)
Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (Cable bundle, BL and PC)
Zelda: Wind Waker (BL)
Super Smash Brothers (BL)
Kirby Air Ride (BL and PC)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (BL and PC)
Mario Power Tennis (BS)
Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc
Pikmin 2 (BL and PC - not added by me)
Pikmin (BL and PC)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (BL)
Battalion Wars (BL)
Geist
Eternal Darkness

Star Fox Assault (PC)
Super Mario Strikers
F-Zero GX (BL and PC - not added by me)

- In progress
Star Fox Assault (BL? BS only)
Mario Party 4
Zelda: Wind Waker (PC and Double Pack with Oot/MM)
Super Smash Bros Melee (BS and PC)
Mario Superstar Baseball (BL and BS)

Project 4 - Completing the GameCube Console Section
See Below

Past Completed Projects
Adding all the Working Designs variants for PS1 [NA]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:28:56 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Re: Telly's Tasks - VGC DB Worklog
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »
Good luck!

karyann

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 12:40:33 pm »
がんばって!  ;) Our Japanese side of the database is still puny, so your work is definitely welcome  :D I've been adding some Japanese games every now and then too, but that's true dedication!

telly

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »
がんばって!  ;) Our Japanese side of the database is still puny, so your work is definitely welcome  :D I've been adding some Japanese games every now and then too, but that's true dedication!

Thanks! :) Feel free to help with the Canadian release games, certainly! It can be difficult to find good pictures of everything, and since you're actually in Canada maybe you'll have more luck than me :D
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:21:36 am »
The second largest problem I've found with Canadian games (other than finding them in the first place) is newer games that have a general North American release. There are quite a few modern games (PS3 onward) that are like this, where the US version is bilingual and there are no US or CA specific release.

The same can be said of actually purchasing them. They sometimes show up in the used section at Gamestop in my area, but I've had to resort to complaining during checkout because the cashier will swap the case out to a US box... Although they also do this for other package variations and Special Editions because I suspect their software relies on barcode only.

telly

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:05:30 pm »
I guess some companies do the general NA dual language releases more often than others. Namco and Nintendo are two that seem to do it a lot, at least from what I've seen
Currently Playing:

karyann

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:23:14 am »
Thanks! :) Feel free to help with the Canadian release games, certainly! It can be difficult to find good pictures of everything, and since you're actually in Canada maybe you'll have more luck than me :D

Once I move and my scanner is setup, I could scan boxes for games that I own  :) I haven't done it yet mostly because I add the general NA/US item to my collection. For my own profile, I don't mind if the only difference is text on the front/back.  :P

telly

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 01:05:24 pm »
Update my first post: I've been doing some work filling out the three KR sections that were added recently (Wii, DS, 3DS) I will probably work on GameCube [KR] when that gets added as well.
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:42 pm »
So, as I'm winding down my Canadian GameCube project, I think I'm going to start adding and cleaning up the entire GameCube console category, the following will be a post of what's out there and what needs to be added. Feedback is always appreciated, as there always could be something that I missed. I think the big issue will be finding DOL-001 vs 101 for some of these variants, and the nature of Australian releases.

The ones with regions are the ones that are identified and will be strikethrough as they're added or have been added already. For example, the Panasonic Q was only in Japan, so that's why it has the region tags because all regions have been identified.

I think my goal in doing this is to add as much as I can to the database. Obviously I'm limited to what I can find online, so at some point there will be only so much that I can do. I probably won't be able to complete the entire category.

Variation List
Black [NA] [EU] [JP] (DOL-001 and 101)
Bonus Games [CA]
Clear Controller Bundle [JP]
Donkey Konga [JP] [EU]
Final Fantasy Crystal White [JP]
Game Boy Player Set [NA] [EU] [JP] (In Indigo, Silver, Black, Orange in Japan)
Starlight Gold [JP]   
Hanshin Tigers [JP]

Indigo [NA] [EU] [JP]
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Mario Kart Double Dash!! [NA] [EU] (In Indigo and Silver)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes [JP]
Char's Customized Box [JP]
Metroid Prime
Orange (DOL-001 and 101) [JP]
Pikmin 2 [JP]
Platinum [NA] [EU] [JP] (DOL-001 and 101)
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD [NA] [EU] [JP]
Resident Evil 4 [EU]
SD Gundam G Generation [JP]   
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Tales of Symphonia [JP], [EU]
Panasonic Q [JP]
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
White [EU]

Once I have all the consoles entered, I will go back and add in barcodes and other information
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:37:45 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:57 am »
UPDATE 2.17

I have been making a spreadsheet of GameCube release data that I will be putting in this thread some time in a couple weeks. Because of my finals and papers and such I haven't had a ton of time to do any additional searching, but hopefully that will change when spring break comes around.
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:18 am »
Hopefully your project is not as tough as mine. I'm on month two already and it seems that the more of my list I complete, the more I find! What a pain!

But for yours, was there a list somewhere already?

I was spoiled only working on Sega stuff before. The Sega fan sites have nearly everything documented already and the only searching I would have to do is to find pictures. As big as Nintendo and Sony fanbases seem to be, they do not seem to be as dedicates as the Sega ones for whatever reason.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:53 am »
As big as Nintendo and Sony fanbases seem to be, they do not seem to be as dedicates as the Sega ones for whatever reason.

I found that to be surprising too when I was searching for cover artwork for the few Canadian games I own. The artwork is different due to the languages added, but folks just seem to be content with the regular NA cover for all listings. ("Balderdash!" I say!)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 03:50:42 pm »
Luckly the GameCube is easier because there are only four model variations, and maybe 11 mainboard revisions. And obviously the console was not around as long nor as widespread as the PS2.  :o

I've only been able to find a list of EU models, but it's not complete. So I've been making steady progress so far (fingers crossed).

So far I have 71 releases documented in some form on my spreadsheet, but I'm not experienced in tracking consoles from Australia, Brazil or Korea so I have almost none of those listed yet
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:05:55 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 10:42:27 am »
but I'm not experienced in tracking consoles from Australia, Brazil or Korea so I have almost none of those listed yet

For Australia: Use ebay.com.au.
For Brazil: use Mercadolivre.com.br
For Korea: translate what you are searching for into Korean using Google Translate. Then search the translated term and find a site that is showing relevant information. Google will help a little in finding the correct translation, because it is not always good as it is known a machine translation can be a problem. But you can expect that a native Korean website will have it written properly, so I use this step to glean terms from the native language website in which to search for.
See this post I made for a relevant subject: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6782.msg133484.html#msg133484

telly

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 08:42:53 pm »
Alllright guys, here's the spreadsheet for the GameCube consoles that I have been working on. Currently I have 114 consoles documented in one form or another, but I know there are plenty more I haven't gotten yet. I just wanted to show my progress so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11pUkCXGyzjQi6MSqgH-2bTZOzwUXrq8hrZZFh0mhNOw/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback is always welcome!
Currently Playing: