Author Topic: Do you lend your games?  (Read 7575 times)

sworddude

Re: Do you lend your games?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »
No

If I would ever lend out my games I would only lend out the disc or cart only no boxes or manuals.

The discs will go in a blanco cd case. empty gamecube wii cases etc and the cardridges in cardridge protectors. i do have some spare cases.

But knowing my friends and how they handle their stuff chances of me lending something to them are pretty low.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

theflea

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 04:37:49 pm »
I have but I have strict rules.

1) its only newer games like Xbox 360, XBone, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U. (maybe a PS2 or XB if it's nothing special)

2) Nothing rare or special edition.

3) I have to know you well enough I know where you live. (I case I need to go get it)

4) Only one item is ever lent out at any time. I never lend out the cases/manuals, I put in an extra DVD case I have lying around.

5) You break it or damage it you replace it with exactly what I gave you. This only happened once. The guy's dog got a hold of it and destroyed it and he replaced it with a brand new copy when he returned it. After that he never asked to borrow anything again. lol

I find when I tell people the rules most are afraid to borrow anything. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

rayne315

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 05:51:43 pm »
I have but I have strict rules.

1) its only newer games like Xbox 360, XBone, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U. (maybe a PS2 or XB if it's nothing special)

2) Nothing rare or special edition.

3) I have to know you well enough I know where you live. (I case I need to go get it)

4) Only one item is ever lent out at any time. I never lend out the cases/manuals, I put in an extra DVD case I have lying around.

5) You break it or damage it you replace it with exactly what I gave you. This only happened once. The guy's dog got a hold of it and destroyed it and he replaced it with a brand new copy when he returned it. After that he never asked to borrow anything again. lol

I find when I tell people the rules most are afraid to borrow anything. lol

That's like me but I take collateral till its returned in the same condition. just by chance it usually ends up being bicycles for the most part.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

azure

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »
I'll lend titles to friends who I know will take care of them. I lent a Nintendo DS Lite and some games to my friend's younger brother and he lost a few of the games and damaged the system. There are certain titles I won't lend if they're valuable too. I'm a major freak about titles I've bought brand-new as well and usually don't lend them out. If it's a disc based game I'll keep the box and manual and just lend the disc in one of these:

For any cart games I lend I use the NES clamshell cases like these:

Overall though, I'd feel comfortable lending games to anyone on this site because everyone is a collector and (presumably) takes care of their video game titles. I'll lend controllers and system accessories too because they're hard to ruin/damage. I don't mind people touching rarities/valuables in my collection as long as they've cleaned their hands. (I've got hand-sanitizer in my game room for a reason)
A couple of weeks ago, I was at work and my brother had a friend over, they got drunk and his friend spilt beer on my N64 shelf. Thankfully it didn't get in any of the carts (because they have pin covers on them) or damage the labels. I know it was an accident, but it upsets me when people don't take care of my things. Bottom line, if you take care of it your things and I know you'll take care of mine, I'll lend you games, If not, I won't.
I do the same thing when lending out games, the case/manual just has a chance of getting damaged in my mind.
Yup, I lent a game a while back and my friend's sister chewed on the spine of the case and left a booger on the manual. I kid you not.
That poor game, children can be pretty nasty at times.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »
Hell no, i used to in the past but i've had games returned destroyed or not at all... luckily they were common games i could buy back. People just arn't trustworthy enough imho.

aliensstudios

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 08:27:03 pm »
I'll lend titles to friends who I know will take care of them. I lent a Nintendo DS Lite and some games to my friend's younger brother and he lost a few of the games and damaged the system. There are certain titles I won't lend if they're valuable too. I'm a major freak about titles I've bought brand-new as well and usually don't lend them out. If it's a disc based game I'll keep the box and manual and just lend the disc in one of these:

Overall though, I'd feel comfortable lending games to anyone on this site because everyone is a collector and (presumably) takes care of their video game titles. I'll lend controllers and system accessories too because they're hard to ruin/damage. I don't mind people touching rarities/valuables in my collection as long as they've cleaned their hands. (I've got hand-sanitizer in my game room for a reason)
A couple of weeks ago, I was at work and my brother had a friend over, they got drunk and his friend spilt beer on my N64 shelf. Thankfully it didn't get in any of the carts (because they have pin covers on them) or damage the labels. I know it was an accident, but it upsets me when people don't take care of my things. Bottom line, if you take care of it your things and I know you'll take care of mine, I'll lend you games, If not, I won't.
I do the same thing when lending out games, the case/manual just has a chance of getting damaged in my mind.
Yup, I lent a game a while back and my friend's sister chewed on the spine of the case and left a booger on the manual. I kid you not.
His entire XBOX collection had teeth marks on the spines. I don't know how he could stand it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

azure

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:25 pm »

His entire XBOX collection had teeth marks on the spines. I don't know how he could stand it.
Makes me cringe, I couldn't stand it either. I don't see how someone could be ok with that.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 08:55:15 pm »
Depends on the game & the person. If it's a cheaper, common title (let's say 10 bucks or less to replace), I'll lend that out pretty freely. It's a good way to see if the lend-ee is good enough to trust with something more expensive. Rarer titles are lent out to those I trust (most of my fiancé's siblings are quite trustworthy with such.)

My rarest of rare games (think hundred+ dollars) don't get lent out. Period. Quite simply, if something happened I would expect the game to be replaced quickly. I don't want these people to suddenly find themselves with a massive payment to cover a game damaged accidentally/outside of their control.

Of course, if you're at my place, you're welcome to play anything you want*. I'll be around, so it'll be easier to keep an eye out of bad situations.

(*I have a handful of rare sealed games. Those are off limits. If anyone's opening a game, it's ME!)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »
only a select few people even know about my game room even fewer are allowed in. If your trusted enough to be there then the sign out sheet is on the wall.this has worked very well for me.

stealthrush

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 09:46:17 pm »
When I was younger I have, for the most part without any problems. Although the last time I lend a DVD to a friend he returned it with the box ripped, disc unreadable and said his dog got to it. Never again.  >:(

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:16 pm »
anyone borrowing anything must return it in exactly the same condtion or it will have to be replaced no matter how much it cost.

dreama1

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 10:46:52 pm »
anyone borrowing anything must return it in exactly the same condtion or it will have to be replaced no matter how much it cost.
What if they tell you to fuck off?

aliensstudios

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 11:42:46 pm »
Then they don't get to borrow the game?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 08:01:56 am »
Then they don't get to borrow the game?
I figure he is referring to the situation where he has already borrowed it, destroyed it, and has been told to replace it.

I've had this happen, more than once, I have not spoken to or seen these people since.

kashell

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 08:07:11 am »
only a select few people even know about my game room even fewer are allowed in. If your trusted enough to be there then the sign out sheet is on the wall.this has worked very well for me.

For real?