Author Topic: Do you lend your games?  (Read 7578 times)

brazbit

Re: Do you lend your games?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »
Growing up lending games to friends was the norm. It was considered highly rude to refuse to loan something out without good reason (One save slot/ currently working on learning the tricks to a level, brand new). Parents loved it because they only had to buy a fraction of the games we wanted and we loved it because we had access to tons of games that we otherwise would have never been able to talk our parents into or would have never considered trying on our own.

Only once did I end up losing a game, my friend's family moved suddenly and we never had a chance to swap back our games. He has one of mine (can't remember which) and I have his Super Spike V'Ball/Nintendo World Cup. It's been over 20 years now and I still laugh when I see that cartridge.

It just doesn't come up these days but, if I trusted the person asking, I would like to believe I would still do it.

necrosexual

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »
absolutely not
i even hated lending things to my ex because he would deny case damage that wasn't there before he got them
and i always watched him break up weed on the nearest game case to him and it made me cringe ugh

i had to rebuy harvest moon back to nature because my aunt borrowed it, and my brother borrowed my genesis and a couple games, and i'll never get them back now that i've been booted out of the fambam.
i'm too flighty and things happen in my life too much for me to be friendly about letting people borrow games. i almost lost a number of them to my ex too, but i recovered them, fortunately.

it really bothers me to let people borrow my stuff. even my ps2 controller has a giant knife slash on the bottom of it from some mishap via my ex.

so yeah, no, i'll never lend a game again.
and anyway, i'm not a rental service. when i lived with a roommate, i let him play some games, but i handled them, and he only got ps3 discs from me... i refused to let the case leave. before i moved i made sure all the games were in their cases, too. ps3 games are pretty hard to scratch, so that was whatever, and he normally only wanted to play AAA titles or games not worth a lot anyway, so it was whatever. my ex, i kinda converted him to a niche gamer/semi-collector, but he was still just not gentle with cases and it pissed me off. but it meant he wanted to play my niche games a lot, and ughhh.
between my ex using my collection like a library service, and my ex-roommate using my room like a giant free best buy (at one point he had 3 of my USB cables and my ps3 power cable ???) i'm now just closed for a service i was never open for in the first place.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:14 pm »
I haven't loaned out any games since the playstation one days. I use to put them in a blank jewel case so the case and manual stayed like new, but I always knew the disc was coming back scratched.
I stopped lending them out after MANY conversations that ended with "it was already scratched" or "relax, it's just a game".

When I still lived at home, I would also have the joy of coming home from work to my brother and his friends hanging out in my game room drinking. I tried to keep the games in new condition by putting EVERY single disc in a blank jewel case and putting them all in flip files. They would just stack the loose discs on the shelf when they switched games. I stacked a few of his records the same way one day to prove a point. The point "I" learned was that I was gonna get the shit beat outta me and my dad would take his side though LMAO

I really don't know anybody locally who still plays console games. I personally wouldn't even think of asking another collector to borrow their stuff though.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:04 pm »
Depends on the game, really. I'm not gonna cry about it if someone scuffs up a $3 game, but I'd be very wary of handing over some of the more expensive games in my collection. Also depends on the friend I'm loaning it to. Some have their own neatly organized display system for their games and will treat whatever I lend them like part of their own collection. Others keep loose disks and carts tossed in a pile on the floor like barbarians. And I never thought I'd sound this elitist about something as basic as game collecting. This site has ruined me.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:13 pm »
Lent out RC Pro Am to a friend down the street when we were kids. Friend moves away, and the game is gone.

Lent out Final Fantasy VII to a friend in school. That kid lent it to some other friend, and that friend moved away. Game is gone.

Lent out Earthbound to a friend in school (before it was considered a treasure). Came back mostly good, but the guide was rumpled.

Lent out Tron 2.0 to a co-worker. Game sat in the back of his truck and got horribly squashed.

Lent out Uncle Buck on DVD to a co-worker. Never came back.

Lent out an Akira Kurosawa samurai DVD set to another co-worker. Came back after 3 years, but in surprisingly good condition.

In the end, people don't take care of things.

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 08:14:43 am »
Lent out RC Pro Am to a friend down the street when we were kids. Friend moves away, and the game is gone.

Lent out Final Fantasy VII to a friend in school. That kid lent it to some other friend, and that friend moved away. Game is gone.

Lent out Earthbound to a friend in school (before it was considered a treasure). Came back mostly good, but the guide was rumpled.

Lent out Tron 2.0 to a co-worker. Game sat in the back of his truck and got horribly squashed.

Lent out Uncle Buck on DVD to a co-worker. Never came back.

Lent out an Akira Kurosawa samurai DVD set to another co-worker. Came back after 3 years, but in surprisingly good condition.

In the end, people don't take care of things.
Got that Zenigata luck, eh?

hanky

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
As a kid, I would always lend my games to friends and family vice versa. Today, the only one I really lend my games to, is my brother, as he is a collector aswell and I'm confident that he knows how to take care of 'em :)

alkaid

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2016, 05:51:23 am »
Depends on the game, really. I'm not gonna cry about it if someone scuffs up a $3 game, but I'd be very wary of handing over some of the more expensive games in my collection. Also depends on the friend I'm loaning it to. Some have their own neatly organized display system for their games and will treat whatever I lend them like part of their own collection. Others keep loose disks and carts tossed in a pile on the floor like barbarians. And I never thought I'd sound this elitist about something as basic as game collecting. This site has ruined me.
Carts are one thing, but loose disks will be scratched and ruined. I wouldn't say that's elitist, just basic care of your things. I can't imagine a grown human being leaving those things around like that.
No, really.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »
Haha, I should have clarified. I absolutely have friends who would just throw a loose disc on a shelf and call it a day, but I also have one rather notorious friend who throws away their cases and manuals and keeps the discs in one of those big CD binders. I'm not just talking about beat up old games. I've seen them do this with brand new games. It makes my whiny little collecting heart hurt. Not too bad, I guess, since it's gotten me a lot of free cases and manuals over the years, but I've got to wonder why they bother buying complete copies when they'd save a lot of time and effort just buying loose discs.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.