Author Topic: Excel sheet is a mess, is this how it's supposed to be?  (Read 1278 times)

Excel sheet is a mess, is this how it's supposed to be?
« on: June 13, 2016, 04:08:52 pm »
Hi! First topic here. Sorry if this is not the right place to talk about this.

I've only just opened an account here, and just for the heck of it tried exporting an Excel sheet to see how it'd look, how the info was displayed, but what I get is this:

Is that right? It's not readable. Should I change settings on Excel to have the list display correctly? Should I use a newer version (this PC has Office 2007)?

Any help you could give on this regard, to make the Excel list useable, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
-
"Because the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything.
Of course, the guy who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all."

rayne315

Re: Excel sheet is a mess, is this how it's supposed to be?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »
Hi! First topic here. Sorry if this is not the right place to talk about this.

I've only just opened an account here, and just for the heck of it tried exporting an Excel sheet to see how it'd look, how the info was displayed, but what I get is this:

Is that right? It's not readable. Should I change settings on Excel to have the list display correctly? Should I use a newer version (this PC has Office 2007)?

Any help you could give on this regard, to make the Excel list useable, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I cant help out much as I am not an excel guru but I believe you can modify the info to display only the info you want and then sort it through one of the tabs to be like in order of how much you spent on an item, when you added it to your collection, or just in alphabetical order.

For reference VGC id means the number of the listing you entered into your collection. Name is the title of the game. Platform is what platform you own it for. Notes just adds any notes you manually added upon entry. Cart, Box, Manuel, Other are either maked yes if you indicated you own it or no if you indicated you didn't. purchased price is what you manuely entered you bought the item for. purchase date is when you entered you bought it. and finally added is just the timestamp the server recorded when you entered it into your collection.

In other words you can just look directly after the first numbers to see your game title.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:41:08 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:07 pm »
You'll want to choose a "delimited" excel sheet (when you import/open the list) and have it separate your data by commas. I believe that should make it into some nice columns for sorting.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:16:43 pm »
Try highlighting the far left column in excel only, then going to data and select "text to columns" it should separate each line of characters into a separate column :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:45:22 am »
Thanks, guys! Using "Data>Text and Columns>Delimited>Comma" allowed me to separate the info just fine, and I was able to get this:

Now I'm confident I'll have a nice Excel sheet once I've loaded all my games.

Thanks a lot!
-
"Because the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything.
Of course, the guy who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all."

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 01:06:49 am »
Yay! Glad you got it all sorted out :D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas